points for woodies

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hardgainer

points for woodies

#1 Post by hardgainer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:11 am

Is anybody out there using the Top Hat brand screw on points for 11/32 woodies. The no taper required type with redesigned point now offered.
Interested in any comment.
Tony S

little arrows

Re: points for woodies

#2 Post by little arrows » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Yeh Tony, Steve uses them all the time, with no problems at all.

Is there a reason for your question?

cheers
sue

hardgainer

#3 Post by hardgainer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks for the comment Sue just seeking opinions might start using a few if general Oz Bow opinion is positive.
Tony S.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 am

Morning.
hardgainer wrote:Is anybody out there using the Top Hat brand screw on points for 11/32 woodies. The no taper required type with redesigned point now offered.
Interested in any comment.
Tony S
If a one piece point is what you want they would be my preferred choice in Stainless. They are so good unless I was making something that required some unusual I would not choose anything else. The only change I would consider is Brass as some people prefer it.

Caveat

Make certain the points are within tolerance as far as diameter goes if you are shooting in a competition that has a maximum point size. Speak to your Local FITA/AA Judge. Ask Kevin (Longbowinfected) about such issues.
This not a comment on the product rather a comment on Archery Australia.

You could start to read about this issue here if you are really interested. http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... ions-in-AA

Or if you would like a laugh ........ http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... rpretation
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks Grahame....there sure was a laugh there.
Tony S

AndyF

#6 Post by AndyF » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:43 pm

On the comment about FITA rules etc,

I've been using Top Hat points for about four years or so. They're great. And if you have the correct tools i.e. the shaft formers (compressors) assembly tool, and the shaft threaders, you won't even need glue. They also tend to go on nice and straight, unlike some taper fit points.

The FITA question, I think, comes from when I got pulled up at the State Indoor in either '09 or '10 (which Kev/Longbowinfected was also shooting at). The stainless Top Hat Bullet points in 125 grain that I was shooting turned out to be just over 9.4mm in diameter, so were technically illegal. From what I gather, this little piece of info made its way back to Top Hat headquarters in Germany and the points are now legal. Although don't quote me on this as I haven't really shot any FITA comps since then (thanks to target panic, plus tendonitis in both elbows), so haven't bothered measuring the points.

Hope that's of some help.

Andy

hardgainer

#7 Post by hardgainer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks Andy....I will now try .
Tony S