HICKORY BACKING LAMINATIONS FROM RUDDERBOWS

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Dennis La Varenne

HICKORY BACKING LAMINATIONS FROM RUDDERBOWS

#1 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 pm

There are some of you interested in making composite bows using the tried-and-true Hickory for backing laminations. Recently I emailed Jim Boswell of Rudderbows Archery and asked the question of availability and pricing. Here is Jim's reply to my question -
Dennis,

For hickory laminations we can sell them directly in lots of 10 or more for the wholesale costs. It would save money for you if you were able to do that. Wholesale in lots of 10 is $9 each. That a lot better than the normal retail of $15 to $20 from the retailers. . It a pity that the shipping costs more than the products via UPS. You could contact us directly for the wholesale lots. You can also get them from Crows head outfitters, 3 rivers archery or Kustom King.

Jim K Boswell
Rudderbows Archery
Psalm 23
509-933-3051
My next question -
Jim,

That is a very handy piece of advice. Do you mind if I let a few people know about that on Ozbow? I am sure that there would be a good few who would be glad of that. Also, have you ever thought about sending them through the USPS? I have gotten quite a few 72" bows from eBay to add to my collection and they were all sent via USPS Priority Paid International ranging from $55 - $85 US which is very reasonable. The length wasn't a problem at all. I just asked the eBay seller to ship the bow that way and they just took the bow to the PO and they accepted it without issue. It may help you lower your shipping costs a bit for your business. Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Dennis
And Jim's further reply -
That’s quite alright to let everyone in Ozland to know. Yes have tried USPS, but, they will not accept anything over 60” here. Not sure why, but, it really holds us back from selling overseas. Wish we had a dealer over there. I know that some USPS offices accept pieces longer than 60”, but, not here for some reason.

Jim K Boswell
Rudderbows Archery
Psalm 23
509-933-3051
My next question -
Jim,

Strange how that works with some POs and not others. I will let everyone know on Ozbow which is our local trad archery site. I know of another 2 blokes who may be interested in the 10 strips deal. The three of us could put in an order and share the shipping costs. Also, Ozland is the sign language our deaf people use here. By the way, what thickness are the Hickory lams?

Regards,

Dennis
And Jim's reply -
Dennis,
They are roughly 1/8” thick give or take a little bit. Sometimes we have to cut off a hair more than other times depending on overall thickness of the raw material we are extracting the strips from.

Jim K Boswell
Rudderbows Archery
Psalm 23
509-933-3051
I hope this is useful to Ozbow bowyers. Because Jim is unable to ship by United States Postal Service, it is worth considering a few bowyers putting in a joint order. Even a larger order than 10 strips may not increase the shipping cost too much if at all. Jim's contact details are on the Rudderbows website if you google it.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Fanto

Re: HICKORY BACKING LAMINATIONS FROM RUDDERBOWS

#2 Post by Fanto » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Dennis

There is a company called myus. Their site is myus.com.

They provide you an address in Florida, which is their warehouse. They forward freight to you, at very cheap rates because they negotiate such huge quantities.

It costs 70 bucks to get a bow here upto about 2.1m

Cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

yeoman

#3 Post by yeoman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:12 am

I think we should put in a group order.

I would like 10 strips or so myself.

Anyone else?

Thanks for doing the legwork, Dennis!
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

Dennis La Varenne

#4 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Fanto,

Another supply source to add to Rudderbows then.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for posting this info Dennis.

I'll put my hand up for a 10 pack if someone wants to organise a bulk order.

Cheers........ Rod

edit... Jumped the gun a bit, I might have to rethink my position :oops: . I just realised the price landed in Aus wont be too bad for you blokes all in the same area, but it could easily double again by the time a single pack makes it to sunny north queensland :surprised:. Sorry fellas.

looseplucker

#6 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm in for a 10 pack
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

woodie

#7 Post by woodie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Just to make sure I am reading it right, that is 10 for $9 or $9 for each in a 10 pack?
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

jcm

#8 Post by jcm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:35 am

Woodie
$9 each lam without the freight .
Regards

John

woodie

#9 Post by woodie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:12 am

ok that is what I thought but was not sure.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 am

I have recently been in contact with Jim Boswell from Rudderbows about his offer on the bulk sale of Hickory lams. Because of the length and prohibitive shipping costs, I asked if he would cut the lengths to 36 inches and ship via USPS parcel service which would be greatly cheaper because they will be under the USPS 42 inch length limit.

The parcel will still have the 10 lams . . . just that they will be in halves. He is quite happy to do this, but will go to the local PO to get a firm price.

Butt jointing or scarf jointing half lengths will post no problems if the joint is done properly and the lam is glued properly to the back of the stave. A butt-joint can be overlain by another piece of wood to round the back of the handle off nicely.
Dennis La Varénne

yeoman

#11 Post by yeoman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:47 am

Sounds like it could save us quite a bit on postage. Let's see what happens, eh?

yeoman

#12 Post by yeoman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:49 am

Have we heard any more on this?

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35 am

Dave,

There isn't anything more to be done. If you or any others like, I can send you a pm with Jim's email on it so you can contact him direct. I now have plenty here - 14 strips full length which accompanied an order I got from him a while ago. I didn't think it was right to give out his private email on a public forum, but privately would not be a problem I would think. His website does not have any contacts on it because he is now strictly a wholesaler/manufacturer.

Would anybody else like Jim Boswell's private email address?
Dennis La Varénne