Cutting carbon shafts with a file

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Cutting carbon shafts with a file

#1 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:47 pm

I know this is not a new idea but all the processes I've seen for it seem a little more time consuming than I've found necessary. If you use the edge of your file like a saw blade it cuts quite cleanly through carbon shafts (I've only done this with Beman MFX Classics though). It leaves a little burr on the bottom (as you cut it) of the shaft. A quick pass with the file at the end cleans it up. I knocked up a very simple jig to help me keep it square:

Handy for tuning shafts at home if you're a bum like me and don't own a lot of power tools :wink:
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Ian Turner

Re: Cutting carbon shafts with a file

#2 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi mate, love the jig and its simplicity; I was wondering how I would cut carbon shafts at home and keep the cut square when tinkering and tuning.
Any tips re cutting aluminium shafts?
Cheers
Ian

alaninoz

#3 Post by alaninoz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:08 pm

I've cut carbon shafts with a triangular jewelers' file and that seemed to work OK. For cutting aluminium I used a good quality pipe cutter. It didn't compress the shaft if taken slowly, but it did leave a small burr on the inside of the shaft. That was removed by reaming.

Now it's woods all the way, and a Japanese dovetail saw.
Alan

Ian Turner

#4 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks mate.
Yeah I thought a pipecutter would turnr the end of the shaft in an reduce the diameter so the insert would not fit.
Cheers
Ian

Jim

#5 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Sorry Ian, I've never cut Al shafts. Glad someone else could tell you how to go about it :wink:
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby