Cub/Junior arrows for trad shoots ?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Cub/Junior arrows for trad shoots ?

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Sat May 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Just a question regarding cubs & juniors arrows for trad shoots. Can cubs have 12" of feather for trad shoots ? Or can they have less ? 9" of feather looks to be the best set up to me, but I will make them to comply if it has to be 12".
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

longbowinfected

Re: Cub/Junior arrows for trad shoots ?

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Sat May 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Hey at the non aligned trad shoots I go to no one has said a word and I shoot with 4 two inch or two and a half inch feathers
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

dan76

#3 Post by dan76 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I don't think you would find anyone checking feather length on a kids arrows at a trad event, my kids use 9 inches as it's just about right for them. I reckon if anyone was that picky at a trad shoot they might get a bow cracked over there head :) As far as i am concerned we need to promote kids in this sport so i don't care what they shoot so long as they are shooting.

Dan

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Sat May 18, 2013 5:00 pm

ditto the above. go with what you use and prefer for the ankle biters.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat May 18, 2013 5:06 pm

yeah don't think it matters what amount feathers kids use mate :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Same as any shoot, one should abide by the shoot rules. If it is stated a minimum of 12" of feathers is to be used than that is what should be used. My kids (from under four) always had 4" feathers on their arras which never caused any problems or any perceived lack of performance. I have always believed in encouraging kids and I fail see that having to use 4" feathers causes any problems in this regard.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Sat May 18, 2013 5:39 pm

The following is from the rules drafted by Grahame, Perry and myself. Arrows need to be matched to the bow and without restrictions the task is made easier.

If some associations insist on 12” of feather you could recut the feathers to a lower profile and straight/angle fletch the arrow.
Daryl.

ARROWS.

• Wood Arrows and feathers only are to be used in all divisions.
• There are no restrictions on the feather length, point weight or the adhesives used in their construction.
• In the Traditional / Primitive division the use of historic methods of arrow construction is encouraged.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#8 Post by perry » Sat May 18, 2013 6:49 pm

I can not understand why any Governing/Affiliate Body would insist on 12 inches of Feather for Kids Arrows, can not understand it for Grown Ups Arrows either. IMO a Flawed Rule that should be challenged and corrected. 12 inches of Fletching Length is not required for stable Target Arrow Flight. Surface Area is far more important than Feather Length. Correct Arrow Spine and Bow Tune look after the Rest.

Edit to add - just remembered that the 12" of Feather ABA Rule only applies to Bows over 50#. Does not change my point though.

If you use Feathers cut higher than the majority of Commercial Die Cut Feathers you can sucessfully Shoot Broadheads with less than 12" of Fletch as the increased surface area from the higher cut Feathers adds more stability than the longer Die Cut Commercial Feathers. Play with Feather profile and you can have the best of both worlds with quieter Arrow Flight and increased stability

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin