New Mongolian Bow...

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

temudjin

New Mongolian Bow...

#1 Post by temudjin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 am

I couldn't resist another new bow - this time direct from Ulan Baatar In Mongolia. It should be here some time this week - can't wait to see how it shoots.

This is a traditional horn and sinew bow actually made in Mongolia.
Attachments
Mongolian Horse Bow.doc
(333 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

Gilly

Re: New Mongolian Bow...

#2 Post by Gilly » Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 am

Wow, that's going to be special!

Aeden

#3 Post by Aeden » Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 am

That is.amazing. I have always wanted one of those things. They're wonderful, and there are so few people who know how to make them. I didn't know anyone even had a real Mongolian composite bow who wasn't a Mongolian, or a curator or something. Was it hard for you to find it? Well congratulations, congratulations very much. Please tell us how it shoots when you get it?

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Very nice Tom but watch out for the 'snake' its gunna getchya! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

temudjin

#5 Post by temudjin » Mon May 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for the comments... I found this bow at this website http://mongolianarchery.com/

I definitely will watch out for the snake Big Bob - I fully expect to get "bitten" or maybe "beaten" by it one day soon.

And I will post more photos and information once it gets here and I've had a chance to shoot it.

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Very very nice. Damn I'm gunna turn into a Bow Ho myself at this rate.What sort of shipping costs are involved?
razorbows.com

temudjin

#7 Post by temudjin » Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 am

Hey Bob,

the shipping on this was $120 from Mongolia.

rgds,
TOm

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 am

sandshoe Tom.Some thing to mull over definitely
razorbows.com

perry

#9 Post by perry » Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Look forward to seeing this Bow Tom, I wonder how well it is sealed against the elements, looks to have a Birch Bark or similar Wrapping - Very Cool

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

temudjin

#10 Post by temudjin » Mon May 20, 2013 11:11 am

Well, I had a chance to shoot the new Mongolian horsebow over the weekend and it was pretty disappointing unfortunately.

The bow itself is quite long and heavy - it seems "over" engineered and of course there are the siyahs each with added horn emebellishments. There is a carved horse head at one end and what looks like a tail at the other - very nice but of course they add weight to the ends of the bow.

The result is that it shoots a good deal slower than my Grozer biocomposite Assysrian and with a good deal of hand shock as well. Arrows shot with the Grozer at about 6 to 8 mtrs went about 8" into the target while the same arrows flung by the Mongolian bow only went in about 4". Bystanders also commented on the big difference in arrow speed between the two bows with the Grozer being noticably faster.

So it is a beautiful thing to look at but as a tool for flinging arrows it is a real dog. I guess it will end up on the wall as a decoration rather than being used at shoots.

It is a horn and sinew bow, but the sinew is covered with what looks like bark further adding to the overall wieght. If my Grozer Assyrian weighs in at less than one kilo then the Mongolian must weigh three kilos at least.

So, unless you want a museum piece I would discourage anyone from buying one of these bows.

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Mon May 20, 2013 11:23 am

'nother one scratched off my list then. Thanks Tom. Bit of a real shame though.
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Disappointing for you Tom.

Jeff

hazard

#13 Post by hazard » Mon May 20, 2013 4:45 pm

temudjin wrote:Well, I had a chance to shoot the new Mongolian horsebow over the weekend and it was pretty disappointing unfortunately.

The bow itself is quite long and heavy - it seems "over" engineered and of course there are the siyahs each with added horn emebellishments. There is a carved horse head at one end and what looks like a tail at the other - very nice but of course they add weight to the ends of the bow.

The result is that it shoots a good deal slower than my Grozer biocomposite Assysrian and with a good deal of hand shock as well. Arrows shot with the Grozer at about 6 to 8 mtrs went about 8" into the target while the same arrows flung by the Mongolian bow only went in about 4". Bystanders also commented on the big difference in arrow speed between the two bows with the Grozer being noticably faster.

So it is a beautiful thing to look at but as a tool for flinging arrows it is a real dog. I guess it will end up on the wall as a decoration rather than being used at shoots.

It is a horn and sinew bow, but the sinew is covered with what looks like bark further adding to the overall wieght. If my Grozer Assyrian weighs in at less than one kilo then the Mongolian must weigh three kilos at least.

So, unless you want a museum piece I would discourage anyone from buying one of these bows.
An Honest summary there mate. Thanks for the heads up :wink:

Did you manage to Chrono it at all?

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Ronster

#14 Post by Ronster » Mon May 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Tom, sorry for the disspointment. However as you have said will look good on the wall, so there is the positive.
It was good to catch up at Barambah, see you at Caboolture.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

yeoman

#15 Post by yeoman » Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 am

That's a bit of a shame.

Just a quick one though - what draw length were you using? If you were only drawing to 28 or 30 inches, try again at 32 or 34. It may start to wake up at that point.

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

perry

#16 Post by perry » Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 am

Morning Tom,

Dave may be onto something there as Traditionaly these Bows where shot with a very different technique but your thoughts about the excess mass are always going to be true.

In my first post in this thread I very nearly mentioned a conversation I had with Pete Rogers about some visiting Mongolion Archers at the ABA Nationals a few years years back who shot some authentic Gear and how disappointing the Performance and construction of the Bows and Arrows was but thought better of it. I am disappointed for you Tom but I would very much appreciate a look at the Bow so I could study how it is put together. I was not going to go to Caboolture but it's looking like I will be there now.

I also wonder if there is an unbroken Tradition of passing on these skills or has it skipped a generation or 2 and been rediscovered ? Are the materials originally used still available ? or has the Tourist Trade influenced the Folks that made this Bow ? Before I bought my Grozer Magyar I was struggling to choose between the Magyar, Assyrian and the Mongol I spent hours trawling over a couple of Mongolion Archery and other Websites remotely linked to Mongolion Archery and was left with a very touristy feeling about what was offered for sale

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

temudjin

#17 Post by temudjin » Tue May 21, 2013 9:14 am

Hey Guys,

thanks for the feedback.

I normally draw around 30" so will certainly try again with a "back beyond the ear" draw and see what I get. Even if arrow speed improves the hand shock will still be an issue - as Perry says, there is no getting around the physics

I don't have a chrono so have not measured actual arrow speed unfortunately.

I will be at the Caboolture Corrival this year and will bring it along so you can inspect it Perry. Perhaps if the bow was 100+lbs draw weight the over engineering and extra weight would not be so noticeable on performance? I ordered 45lb but it feels a bit heavier to me - maybe 50lbs or so.

And I look forward to seeing both Ronster and Perry at Corrival along with all the regulars - it should be a great shoot.