Bitzenburger vs Bohning Pro Class fletching jigs

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

slinkymalinky

Bitzenburger vs Bohning Pro Class fletching jigs

#1 Post by slinkymalinky » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:30 am

I just upgraded from a Bohning Pro Class fletching jig. I call it an upgrade because after using the Bitzenburger it is light-years in front of the Bohning.

But I'm not going to say anything negative about the Bohning jig. Its a very good piece of equipment... simple and, very importantly, inexpensive. It was a great jig to learn to fletch my own arrows and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a light, cheap unit. I've fletched probably 10 dozen arrows with it and never had a problem.

Where the Bitzenburger stands head and shoulders above it though is in many small details that make a significant difference to my fletching. I've only just started using the Bitz (having bought one second hand from Sue & Steve Wallace of Wallace Woods) but the first thing you'll notice about it compared to the Bohning is its weight. It's heavy, solidly build and engineered very well.

For example, where my Bohning allows a bit of movement of shafts when in the jig (something that can be controlled easily with care though), the Bitz holds shafts completely securely. Where the receiver of the Bohning feels a little sloppy, the Bitz feels positive and precise.

The clamp of both the Bohning and Bitzenburger are held in position by magnets. With the Bohning, the magnets are relatively weak which means taking a lot of care with positioning the clamp and that often, the clamp needs to be given additional pressure by hand to keep a fletch on a shaft when gluing.

The magnets on the Bitzenburger are very strong... I wouldn't be surprised if cars passing close by get moved sideways by it! What that means in fletching terms though is that once a fletch is positioned in the clamp against a shaft... it won't move. It applies solid pressure to hold the fletch in place while gluing.

The other feature of the Bitzenburger that has been a big leap forward from the Bohning for me, is the ability of the Bitzenburger to put a much 'stronger' helical in fletches and to work at much more dramatic offset angles than my Bohning.

[FONT=Arial Black]
5" feathers helical fletched with the Bitzneburger[/FONT]

The Bohning Pro Class jig and the Bitzenburger both have magnets to hold the clamp. The magnets are set into a magnet holder on the jig that is adjustable. Unfortunately on the Bohning, the magnet holder and magnet are constructed in such a way that if too much offset angle is applied, the magnet will end up sitting 'behind' the frame of the jig... the end result is that the frame of the jig interferes with the positioning of the clamp.

The magnet holder can be adjusted to give more clearance to the magnet but then the clamp won't be aligned with arrow shafts as the nock receiver is too close to the frame.

The magnets on the Bitzenburger have heaps of clearance allowing adjustability to any angle you might want.

The clamp of the Bitzenburger seems superior too. It's very difficult to get the clamp of my Bohning to 'follow' the contour of the arrow shaft perfectly from the rear to the tip of a fletch... particularly on longer fletches. It's almost as if the Bohning clamp isn't quite molded at exactly the right angle. Again, it can be managed by applying a bit of extra pressure to the Bohning clamp by hand but the Bitz clamp aligns perfectly.

I've already fletched both some 11/32 wood shafts and some super-skinny Beman Flash carbons with the Bitz so can say it handles different diameter shafts with no problem at all. The Bohning also managed different shaft sizes but the less positive nock receiver means having to be a little careful.

So overall I'd still recommend the Bohning as a good value unit to start out or if you only rarely fletch arrows... but if you want to get a bit more serious about it, make it easier, and get the best result... get a Bitz.

Cheers, Tony
PS... the arrow in the photo is my first Parrot Stick... an oregon shaft from Wallace Woods with Lorikeet fletching, to compliment the polywantsacracker finish on the shafts (as recommended by Sue Wallace)
"There is no spoon"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bitzenburger vs Bohning Pro Class fletching jigs

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:26 am

The Bitz sets the standards of a high quality fletching jig IMO!

I have a couple that I have had around 25 years - maybe longer - and they were used when I got them. They are certainly a quality bit of kit. Thanks for the review Tony.

Jeff

Buranurra

#3 Post by Buranurra » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:16 am

Nice review Tony!
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Afternoon.

The Bitzenburger is good and if you want to spend a few more dollars you can get upgrade kilts for them.

Equally the Bohning offers good value for money and can do the job very well if the user takes care with what they are doing.

From my viewpoint it can be hard to convince people to spend a few more dollars on their equipment.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Buranurra

#5 Post by Buranurra » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:37 pm

GrahameA wrote:Afternoon.

From my viewpoint it can be hard to convince people to spend a few more dollars on their equipment.
I am not sure I agree mate, I was taught by my Pop to always buy the best tool you can afford. I am 100% on this and believe that buying the best saves more money in the long run. I know that most of my mates also adhere to this philosophy and we always enjoy the banter over who has the best quality tools. :biggrin:
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

daniel boon

#6 Post by daniel boon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:36 pm

I have both also, and also find that the Bitz is more precise, and I can get more helical with it. In saying that the Bohning still does a pretty good job for the $. ( have'nt used it since I got the Bitz)

hunterguy1991

#7 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Have priced the Bitz and looked at the Bohning, but id rather my Jojan jig over these two. Its simple, works a treat and is a very decent price.

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:32 pm

I agree Tony,

Since I bought my Bitz I have sold my Jojan multi and given my Jojan mono to a mate to use on permanent loan. I can't imagine ever wanting or needing anything different to the Bitz, and I get much tidier results with it :biggrin: .

Cheers... Rod