Wallace Woods

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

slinkymalinky

Wallace Woods

#1 Post by slinkymalinky » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm

I just wanted to give a huge thumbs-up to Wallace Woods.

As you might know from some of my other posts, I've been learning the 'ins and outs' of wood arrows. After buying some shafts from a retail store and then getting some sample shafts from Surewood Shafts, I very quickly learned that 'arras aint arras'. Enter Wallace Woods... after a suggestion on this forum I sent off an email to Sue Wallace to see if they could help with some good quality shafts.

Well the top notch shafts I received from Steve and Sue were just the tip of the iceberg. They've been a mine of information and help... and they've done it with a smile and generosity. I caught up with Sue and Steve at the recent archery expo and the advantage of having such good gear available locally was multiplied still further. Not only did Sue talk me through the different timbers, their characteristics and try to sort out what might work best for me... she let me bring in an arrow from my spine testing set that was flying the best from my bow so that Steve could match the characteristics. Now that's something you can't do easily with suppliers on the other side of the planet!!

On top of all that, Sue also helped me out by designing and making a custom take-down bag for my riser and multiple sets of limbs. A couple of emails to give Sue measurements and lickety split, I have the first of a couple of bags... padded and perfectly sized.

The shafts I ordered in the end were Oregon and arrived very fast. Unlike the 'tomato stakes' I'd picked up from the local shop, these shafts are immaculately made and as straight as... well... arrows :biggrin:

I'm part way through making them up. While they won't be works of art like Steve's own arrows or a lot of the others I see on this site, I'm confident they'll improve my shooting. They've already been nicknamed my 'parrot sticks' after Sue recommended 'polywantsacracker' as a good finishing option. The Polyurethane I used as a substitute has worked well and after 3 coats the finish is beautiful. I'll cheat with capping and used wraps and then some Lorikeet coloured fletching and I'll post a pic of my amateur handiwork applied to some fantastic shafts.

Great to have found another top notch local with great products and great service (and a great sense of humor too). Thanks Sue and Steve.

Cheers, Tony
"There is no spoon"

Roadie

Re: Wallace Woods

#2 Post by Roadie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:33 pm

I'll vouch for that. Good People. Cheers Roadie.

little arrows

#3 Post by little arrows » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 pm

:oops: :biggrin: :lol:

well I got the word right eventually - I reckon everyone should use that "pollywantsacracker" stuff..... :lol:

Glad you're happy with shafts and bag, and shall get to dying some more material for the 2nd one... they say Thursday will be fine..... don't think I'll hold my breathe... :smile:

cheers
sue

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Always good to hear of good Ol' Aussie service. :biggrin:

Jeff

Fraser

#5 Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Sue even managed to work out my phone number when I gave her the wrong one. :oops:

Fraser

jcm

#6 Post by jcm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Good On you Steve and Sue,
A Top supplier of archery products- that go the extra mile plus for their customers.
Fraser thanks for the post.
John

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by kerry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:22 am

looks good Sue and Steve.... now if only we can coax Sue to come out of her shell :biggrin:
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

Chase N. Nocks

#8 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Hey Sue and Steve,

Very nice site, well done.

Just an idea.

Pop in a list of Questions you guys ask the archer when they contact you guys for some arrows and/or shafts.

Arrow length, draw length, type of bow, centreshot, shot off hand, bow weight etc. I am sure there is a few and it will help someone be prepared with this information when they make their initial contact.

Also strings - nominate the string length or the bow length.

Anyway good work and the pictures were very interesting. A great touch.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

little arrows

#9 Post by little arrows » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:57 pm

yes I am a quite shy little thing aren't I..... :lol:

Hey Troy,
We get most of the arrow queries/order by word of mouth and I have a standard list of questions to gather the information Steve needs once contact is made.
I've found it easier this way, and it allows me to answer all their queries, plus it also gives each person the personal service they deserve when ordering something from us.

cheers
sue

dan76

#10 Post by dan76 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey Steve and Sue

Can you guys do up a test pack of say six bare shafts stepping up in 5# increments, I am trying to build some woods for my 80# recurve. If i can get the right ones i will get 2 or 3 dozen bare shafts of you and it will give me something to work on. :)

Dan

little arrows

#11 Post by little arrows » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey Dan,
Have sent you a pm.

cheers
sue