String snapped on release?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Blinkybill

String snapped on release?

#1 Post by Blinkybill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi guys,
So about twenty minutes ago I was outside having a shoot with my Grozer Old Scythian, using a thumb release. It was all fine and normal. I nocked an arrow, drew and anchored the string, and then as I released it, not only did my arrow shoot forward, but so did the string! :surprised: Turns out the string snapped underneath the serving so it showed no sign or wearing out until, well, it snapped! I regularly wax the string and there is no sign of damage anywhere else on the entire string. But after thinking about it, I have had the bow for about 4 years and haven't replaced the string in that time. A lesson to learn i guess... Has this happened to any of you guys before? The amazing thing was that my arrow still went exactly where it was supposed to, in the middle of the target. What do you guys think?

Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

Blinkybill

Re: String snapped on release?

#2 Post by Blinkybill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Here are the pictures :)
Attachments
grozer string snap 2.jpg
grozer string snap 2.jpg (156.66 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
grozer string snap.jpg
grozer string snap.jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

I have witnessed it happen to a fellow archer in my Target days at the Penrith City Archers, during an indoor comp. I was told at the time by a very wise and experienced mentor it is more likely to happen on continuous loop strings. But Gorden Vandervord was also including his experience in Flight shooting, something I cant speak first hand on. Wheather this is exactly right I cant really say.

I have only seen it once, and it was a continuous loop string, I have never heard or seen it happen in a Flemish twist string, Femish twist strings wren't all that common in target shooting at the club while I was there in fact they were quite rare.

Maybe someone else has something to add.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:42 pm

I'd bet the string broke due to the Crimp on Nocking Point, you gotta be carefull not to over Crimp - still 4 years is a good run. Glad the Bow is Ok

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Blinkybill

#5 Post by Blinkybill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I got hold of Mark at Tradbits today and ordered a new flemish twist string for it :)
I hadn't thought of the nocking point Perry. Maybe you're right. That hadn't occured to me at all. How long do you guys usually go before you replace your bowstrings?

littlejohn59

#6 Post by littlejohn59 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 am

once a year minimum.
Or every 10,000 arrows change the string.
A 20 dollar string is cheap insurance on a bow and your health. :biggrin: /color]

Blinkybill

#7 Post by Blinkybill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Yeah true! :smile: Thanks for that. :biggrin:

Ben

Fraser

#8 Post by Fraser » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:36 pm

When I first to back into archery at the start of last year I saw two compound bow strings blow up in the one month, one with some nasty looking bruises and cuts. Completely cured me of any desire to use a compound bow.

Fraser.

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Fraser wrote:When I first to back into archery at the start of last year I saw two compound bow strings blow up in the one month, one with some nasty looking bruises and cuts. Completely cured me of any desire to use a compound bow.

Fraser.
Yep I reckon that would about do it :shock:
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

perry

#10 Post by perry » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 am

A skill every Archer should posses , even those that choose a Compound is to make your own Strings, it is dead simple, Endless Loop or Flemish and the Jigs required can be made from Scrap for next to nothing

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/featur ... tring.html

Beats paying $20 plus for a few Cents worth of material

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Blinkybill

#11 Post by Blinkybill » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Yep, that's probably something I should learn to do. You might be be right again, Perry! :lol:
Thanks for the link too :biggrin:

Ben

Ronster

#12 Post by Ronster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm

I agree Perry, just the satisfaction you get when you finish and test your home made string. One of lifes pleasing tasks. There is also a lot of pleasure gained making your own jigs. There are many different plans on the internet to choose from.
The first one or 2 strings should be kept aside so that after making a dozen or so, you can reflect on how much you have improved, particularly with a 3 strand flemish twist.

Ron
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"