Buying a Samick recurve - advice

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

RobHunter

Buying a Samick recurve - advice

#1 Post by RobHunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi All

For my recent birthday I ended up with $ to spend on a bow. I've decided on a Samick from Lancaster Archery. I was going to get a Sage, but my draw length is 29 inches, and Sage is max 28. Plus I got a little more $ than I expected :D

Ive got a choice Samick Red Stag Takedown Recurve, Deer Master Takedown Recurve, SHT Takedown Recurve or maybe the Phantom Takedown Recurve. Theres about $40 price range lol. I'm thinking of a 50#, rather than a 55# and I'm struggling with my 56# selfbow, I have a damaged Right shoulder. The info provided is a bit vague on the specs, but all but the Phantom are 60" length. It seems to me that the major difference is cosmetic, ie glass colour wood used, but Im'm not that experienced.

The only model that appears to have mounts for quiver etc is the SHT model, going by the photos. there doesnt appear to be alot of technical info eg FPS etc.

I intend to hunt Pigs Goats and probably deer. I don't really care about the look ( to some degree) and not sure about a bow mounted quivers - alll the Samicks have good reviews, and I'd prefer to spend less rather than more. I do like the red stag.

Opinions???

Rgds Rob

Ian Turner

Re: Buying a Samick recurve - advice

#2 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi,
I bought a big archery traditions bow in Austria when I was there last sept , they are a Samick by any other name; It has taken a lot of stuffing arounde and just when it was going to be firewood I hit upon a shaft point fletch combination that is shooting really nicely.
It took as I said above a lot of stuffing about but now it shoots like a beauty.
Also I dont take it apart very often so I dont knoe if they get loose after many takedowns and reassembles.
This particular bow is an Osprey riser and Lion limbs 40# AMO 60" I bought a longer string to lower the brace height and found that placing the arrow on the string so the cock feather faces in made a big difference.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers
Ian

Ian Turner

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 am

Hi mate further to my post yesterday a few months ago I bought a Samick Verna Longbow in 60# and it looks great and is a really fast quick bow and there were no issues like I had with the recurve.
Good shooter.
Unfortunatly a bit to heavy for me should have stuck with 50# but thats my fault not the bows.
Cheers
Ian

RobHunter

#4 Post by RobHunter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks Ian

Still undecided , in fact I added another choice lol. Theres a Samick Journey that is similar price to Sage, but longer Draw length maximium. Its moved to the lead as I have 9 arrows, a glove and armguard as my whole kit.

rgds

Rob

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Rob,

Firstly are you sure you have a 29" draw length? Do you stand upright target style when you shoot or cant your bow more hunting style? If you cant your bow you usually have a shorter draw than with the target style. If you are certain that your draw length is 29" or less I would go with the Sage rather than the Journey. These are my reasons for saying this:
1. It looks the better of the two bows to me - heftier riser and a better shape for your hand etc.
2. It has a nicer radiused shelf which should make it easy to set up for shooting off the shelf.
3. More wood in the riser behind the end of the limbs which is better if the bow gets a bump there when out bush.
4. The limb tips are reinforced and specified for use with modern non stretch string materials.

Overall I think it is the better hunting bow and at 62" should handle up to a 29" draw without problems. Anyway somethings more for you to think about. :biggrin:

Jeff

Jaydo

#6 Post by Jaydo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Rob
I just bought a Red Stag take-down from Tradtech/Lancaster archery and have found absolutely no problems with it,
i must have done something right because i am putting 5 arrows out of 5 into a coke can at around 15m (never shoot more then 20m out hunting)
I will say that it is what you pay for in regards to finish, so don't be put off by that, but the money they save in the finish is actually put into the shoot-ability for want of a better word of the bow

Ive shot bows ranging from $1200 custom take-downs to $100 firewood sticks and can honestly say that this is my new favorite bow
for less than $300ish postage i don't see how you cant come out in front. :smile:

a nice new Flemish twist string, string silences and a correct nock point and they make a pretty good hunting bow that your not too worried about getting scratched. :smile:
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

discord

#7 Post by discord » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

G'day Rob
I'm kinda in the same boat as you... 29.5" draw (measured) and looking for a cheap recurve. I'm thinking either Samick Journey or a 64" Greatree Highlander... Have you looked at the Highlander? http://andoverarchery.com/Products/recu ... g_bows.htm
HAIL ERIS!

Curvemeister

#8 Post by Curvemeister » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 am

The sage as jeff said will be fine at 29 inch draw , where it says 28 inch , it is meaning for example 60# @ 28 , that 28 inches is what the poundage of a majority of bows are rated at.
For a 29 inch draw just add about 3 pounds ( per inch of draw ) to its rated weight .
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

RobHunter

#9 Post by RobHunter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 am

Hey all

After reading and watching alot of internet content and reviews, I decided on the Samick Phantom 62 in TD recurve with 50#
limbs. $235 AUD plus postage includes DF string and rug rest.
The Sage seems to have had a few limbs delaminate, and quite a few seem to be on people with long Draw length. The Deer slayer was next choice, but they have sold out , as have the Red stag Limbs in 50#, march 22 expected arrival, and Im too impatient to wait lol.

I do have this belief that you buy the best you can afford, and my set budget matched the Phantom, It looks nice too
Postage was $43.88 express, expected 3-7 business days
We'll see how they go on delivery.

Ill post more on reciept

Rgds

Rob

discord

#10 Post by discord » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 pm

LOL, I ordered my newie today, too :biggrin:

Went with the 64" Greatree Highlander in 45#. I did find the Samick Phantom very appealing but just couldn't stretch the budget :sad:
HAIL ERIS!

RobHunter

#11 Post by RobHunter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Gratz Discord

I was lucky enough to have a bit more than I expected, looking forward for a review on yours too.

Rgds

Rob

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Congrats on your new bows fellas. I look forward to some photos when you get them. :biggrin:

Jeff

RobHunter

#13 Post by RobHunter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi All

My order changed to Shipped !!!!!!!!!! not that Im excited.... Shame is Im off to Mildura way on Friday, Probably the earliest it Might arrive.

I also ordered a "No Glove" which attaches to the string, its in 2 parts and also acts as a nocking point.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/benders-no-glove.html

For a few dollars worth a try

Rgds Rob

Buranurra

#14 Post by Buranurra » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Great suff on the new bow!

I don't think I would bother with the no-glove on anything over 20-30#, I bought a set for my 5 year old's bow and it is great for her. I think they would be great for bowfishing but that's about it.

Having said that they are cheap from overseas so give it a go. I am still annoyed that I paid $17 from a local retailer for the set I bought.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

jcm

#15 Post by jcm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:04 pm

PM me you address.
I import some archery gear and have a European No Glov. for you(no charge- colours- Blue or Purple)
$17.50 a set- Wow. High overheads?
Regards

John (jcm)

Buranurra

#16 Post by Buranurra » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:47 pm

jcm wrote:PM me you address.
I import some archery gear and have a European No Glov. for you(no charge- colours- Blue or Purple)
$17.50 a set- Wow. High overheads?
Regards

John (jcm)
Hi John

That is very kind of you, unfortunately I was a mug and paid the local bloke (who runs the business out of his garage!!!) for the no-glove around 6 months ago so I wont need one and it would be better going to someone else. Same bloke wants $15 for 10 full length Gateway feathers! Suffice to say he gets no more of my hard earned! I ended up getting 124 Trueflight feathers from Tradbits - heaps cheaper and great service!

Thanks again for the generous offer mate!

Cheers

Jase

Sorry to derail your thread Robhunter, the mention of the no-glove just brought up a lingering bad taste :biggrin:
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

ron300wm

#17 Post by ron300wm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Discord wots the post to oz. regards ron

discord

#18 Post by discord » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Ron
Postage was US$30, but has just gone up to US$40, seller said USPS just upped their fees...
HAIL ERIS!

ron300wm

#19 Post by ron300wm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:04 am

That's still a cheap bow. And the bow looks great for the price
It's worth shopping over seas

Jim

#20 Post by Jim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:09 am

It's too late to matter now, so just fyi, I have a samick sage. I'm 6'1 and have a 29 inch draw and it's very comfortable to shoot. It's my first traditional bow so I guess I don't have that much to add, but there you go :) Oh and I have a Bohning bow quiver mounted on it, it has a mounting point in the regular spot.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

discord

#21 Post by discord » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks mate,
I was a little worried about it stacking in the last couple of inches of draw, but I kinda liked the idea of a bit of extra length and mass in the riser for stability as I'll be using it for 3d as well as hunting. I'd like to try a sage to compare... maybe once I get a bit more money coming in :smile:
The lack of dollars means I need it to last, too, so if drawing a sage past 28" means shortening its lifespan that's also a problem for me..
HAIL ERIS!

ron300wm

#22 Post by ron300wm » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm

The sage can be slack. With the dacron string .
But is fast flight compatible and spit's it out fast