New bow...

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

temudjin

New bow...

#1 Post by temudjin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Guys,
I recently recieved a new bow from Grozer in Slovakia and thought I would share it with you. It is a 45lb Turkish Bow - biocomposite construction with horn and sinew but the sinew is covered with black leather and hand painted in the turkish style. Not as flash as a Saluki but pretty nice given the great price - about $500 landed in Aus.

Just arrived last week, so I've only put about 3 dozen arrows through and still needs some fine tuning.

But...looks great, feels great in the hand and like all the Grozer Biocomposites I have shot (that would be 4 now) seems to shoot really nicely.
Attachments
Horn side
Horn side
Turkish Bow 016.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Leather side
Leather side
Turkish Bow 014.jpg (46.57 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Handle
Handle
Turkish Bow 006.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Siyah
Siyah
Turkish Bow 003.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
45lb Turkish Biocomposite
45lb Turkish Biocomposite
Turkish Bow 012.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 3985 times

rmcpb

Re: New bow...

#2 Post by rmcpb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Now you are just being cruel :wink:
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Loved the look of the one you had at Gympie and this one certainly looks impressive too. Love the whole idea of the organic composition of these bows too.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Buranurra

#4 Post by Buranurra » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Wow, that's a beauty! Congrats
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Congrats on the new bow. Nice and bright. :biggrin:

Jeff

Zarasp

#6 Post by Zarasp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:51 pm

very good looking bow, sounds like a bargain at $500, congrats
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

temudjin

#7 Post by temudjin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts.

Hey Zarasp (now that is an unusual name!), thanks to your recent post about Korean bows I placed an order for one of those today with Thomas. Not that I need another bow but I am building quite a collection of eastern style bows - can't wait for this one to arrive - it's due in early Feb 13. I really enjoyed you post and photos.

hazard

#8 Post by hazard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 pm

WOW!! :shock:

Nice looking bows

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Ronster

#9 Post by Ronster » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Tom, looks like you will need to start a bigger family to use the bows your collecting.
Looks really good in the pics.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

perry

#10 Post by perry » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:34 pm

You have quite a collection of Grozer Bio Composites now Tom, looks like a little Ripper. It will be painfull waiting for the next Trad Shoot to catch up and see this Bow. At Gympie a Mate of yours was shooting a Turkish Bow using his Bare Thumb wasn't he Tom ?? How are you Shooting this Bow ??

It looks to be slightly different through the Handle than the Grozer Turkish Bows, I've seen on the Web. Is this the Short Model or the longer one Mate ??

It's everything I can do not to lash out and buy another Grozer Bio Composite. If I was not saving for a 2 Week Trad Shoot Road Trip down to Victoria next August / September I would have already bought an Assarian.

Folks these Bio Composites really are that Good

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Zarasp

#11 Post by Zarasp » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:14 am

temudjin wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts.

Hey Zarasp (now that is an unusual name!), thanks to your recent post about Korean bows I placed an order for one of those today with Thomas. Not that I need another bow but I am building quite a collection of eastern style bows - can't wait for this one to arrive - it's due in early Feb 13. I really enjoyed you post and photos.
I'm glad it was useful mate & i really hope you like the Korean bow, Thomas is a very knowledgeable & an extremely helpful chap, are you getting a left handed one?

back to Grozer, any chance of a quick reviw & seeing this beauty (& others eastern ones) in action? pics , Vids :mrgreen: i tried a THR model(Turkish-Holy dooley! Ripper! bow?) a couple of years ago & it blew me away, i can'T wait to see an expert review/comparison of these Eastern bows.

Cheers!
Z.

ps.oh yeah, z=horse owner form lake, apparently my granddad insisted that i should let everyone know about our family's original area of residence and their line of work, anytime i introduced myself :lol:

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 am

Morning Tom.
temudjin wrote:I recently recieved a new bow......
That is all good. You buying more bows, Perry buying bows......

There appears to be real resurgence in peoples interests in Asiatic bows in SEQ and elsewhere. This is all good.

I guess that there will be a few Asiatics operating at the next Trad Shoot.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

temudjin

#13 Post by temudjin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 am

Hi Perry,

yep there were a couple of eastern style bows at Gympie and one guy was shooting "bare thumbed". A couple of them have SCA backgrounds (Society for Creative Anachronism) where they are limited to I think 30lb bows as they shoot at each other with blunts!!

I still shoot split fingers with all my bows. I do have a horn thumb ring and I've given it a go but the whole thing seems so strange - shooting off the opposite side of the bow is the most difficult for me as I have always canted my bow to get it our of my target view. So shooting with a thumb ring would mean leaning it the opposite way so the arrow doesn't fall off my hand and it wreaks havoc with my tiny mind.

On the length of this bow I'm really not sure - I have always wanted a painted one and by chance Grozer had one that looked good in my weight and I just snapped it up. Talk about impulsive!!

Anyway, I hope to see you at the first trad shoot in the new year - I think it will be at North Albert in April?

temudjin

#14 Post by temudjin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Zarasp,

my undertsanding was that the Korean bows were ambidextrous so no I didn't order a left handed one. Do you think I should write to Thomas again?

On the picture front - not so easy as I'll need one of my kids to take some shots for me. I'll see how I go and if we can get some decent ones I'll post them for you next week.

Zarasp

#15 Post by Zarasp » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:21 am

temudjin wrote: Hi Zarasp,

my undertsanding was that the Korean bows were ambidextrous so no I didn't order a left handed one. Do you think I should write to Thomas again?

On the picture front - not so easy as I'll need one of my kids to take some shots for me. I'll see how I go and if we can get some decent ones I'll post them for you next week.
good morning!

Yes , on these bows both Siyahs are (or at leat used to be) slightly angled to the right to accommodate the thumb draw, definitely let Thomas know that you shoot from the left side & ask if these bows have angled Siyahs, otherwise it will be just like buying a defective bow!

cheers
Z.

temudjin

#16 Post by temudjin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks Zarasp,

I didn't know that so I'll email him again now.

temudjin

#17 Post by temudjin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Guys,

a bit more information for those who are interested....

This bow is 57" tip to tip and 53" nock to nock measured around the curves - brace height is 7" with the supplied 48" string.

I have also added a photo showing the bow at full draw. The bow is 45lbs, the arrow is bamboo (a little long for my 29" draw) and they really zip out of the bow.
Attachments
Turkish Bow 019.jpg
Turkish Bow 019.jpg (30.22 KiB) Viewed 3813 times

perry

#18 Post by perry » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Good Stuff Tom, is that the Persian Model and not the Turkish ???

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

temudjin

#19 Post by temudjin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Hey Perry,

I had to search out the receipt but yes, it is a Persian not a Turkish.

But still shoots really sweet.

rgds,
Tom