New Recurve - Ideas Please

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jaydo

New Recurve - Ideas Please

#1 Post by Jaydo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi everyone,
after a couple of years in the wilderness ( away from the bow, not actually living the dream :lol: )
i am now back in a position where i will be able to shoot everyday and hunt any weekend i like

now the big question,
i want a takedown recurve, and i want to spend less than $1000.00
what are your recommendations?
i am really considering a predator recurve

let me know your thoughts
cheers
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Buranurra

Re: New Recurve - Ideas Please

#2 Post by Buranurra » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:37 pm

I've got a Predator and I love it!

Are you after a takedown or one-piece?

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:02 am

the owner at Archerymart has a 60# predator with an Alloy riser for sale at the moment.

they are phenomenally quick bows, and quite pretty. spend some time shooting one, they have a deep, high wrist grip.

there are a couple of production options maybe a Bear Grizzly? if you like a one piece look, Black widow do a two piece recurve and there is a company called Stotler Archery which does a really sleek 3 piece takedown that also looks like a one piece, called a medalist.

the beauty of takedown is that you can buy secondhand on tradgang.com or ebay USA and shipping is $50, as opposed to $200 for a one piece

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:10 am

"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

perry

#5 Post by perry » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm

A RER Recurve T/D would be perfect for you - Static Tips, Smooth, Quite, Fast, Well made, pretty timbers if you must - the total package. The RER is a superior Bow to any Predator Bow I have seen or shot

There is no better Bow on the Market. I have his 1 piece Arroyo. I bought it because it was a Dead Ringer for a Recurve I spent years thinking about, drawing plans for etc

http://www.rerbows.com/

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I respect people's appreciation of the bows made in the US ( I own some myself) but we really do have some 'Cracking Aussy" bowyers here in Australia. Each with their own signature feel and look, why not look closer to home first?

When it comes to recurve's I cant recommend Robs work enough. A smooth, fast bow and prices around the figure $1000 you mentioned for some of his range.

I have also shot many of his other models of which the Raptor really got mine and every ones attention.

Flatline bows

I have also shot a couple of Barry Johnson's bows and I was most impressed as well.

and Guy Laytons (Mark Kimbers) Huntsman, what a bow! http://huntsmanbows.com.au/

They are all Australian Bowyers and great guys as well, very keen to qualify every detail.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fanto

#7 Post by Fanto » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 am

Hazard,

for sure if you have $1k to spend on a new bow there are some great aussie bowyers.

second hand bows have been great for me. Ive got 3 and one on the way, my total spend just hit $1100 for all four, which has enabled me to try a few as I'm learning. I should sell one or two, the problem is picking one to let go!

slinkymalinky

#8 Post by slinkymalinky » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:24 am

I'm shooting a Hoyt Gamemaster II which I can give you thoughts on. I don't have a lot of experience with other bows to compare to but my Gamemaster shoots beautifully... The one bug bear with it is that out of the box its VERY noisy. With tuning and experimenting, I've managed to make it quiet but it was a pain until I got it right. I'd certainly have another one and wouldn't part with mine but for $700 I'd probably try out some other brands first, including the locally made bows. There's something magic about anything hand crafted that mass produced gear doesn't have.

Cheers, Tony
"There is no spoon"

Trad Bound

#9 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Just lashed out and bought a Samick Red Stag TD from Trad Tech/Lancaster in USA including postage $240. Rave reviews on it on US sites and I would have to say excellent value. It also goes by the name Red Leopard here. The money to spare will buy you a lot but this bow is sooooo good and great value landed in less than a week.
Cheers
TonyJ

Jaydo

#10 Post by Jaydo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks for all the input there guys, something to consider
i always wanted to support the Aussie Bowyers but the take-downs are not quite what i am looking for i think.

Tony, that Samick bow looks amazing,
how do you find it shoots, i had a Samick Deer Master when i was learning at it was a decent bow
mighty tempting to just get one and see how it goes for that sort of money
cheers
Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Fanto wrote:Hazard,

for sure if you have $1k to spend on a new bow there are some great aussie bowyers.

second hand bows have been great for me. Ive got 3 and one on the way, my total spend just hit $1100 for all four, which has enabled me to try a few as I'm learning. I should sell one or two, the problem is picking one to let go!
I have always regretted letting any of my bows go and at the 'Garage Sale" price 2nd hand bows have to be sold at I feel getting rid of one is a redundant exercise. If the perfect opportunity comes up maybe then. Or even give one you never use to a keen novice.
Jaydo wrote:Thanks for all the input there guys, something to consider
i always wanted to support the Aussie Bowyers but the take-downs are not quite what i am looking for i think.

Tony, that Samick bow looks amazing,
how do you find it shoots, i had a Samick Deer Master when i was learning at it was a decent bow
mighty tempting to just get one and see how it goes for that sort of money
cheers
Jayden
Jayden
The Flatline Raptor in particular is a one piece and a little ripper :biggrin:

I would talk to Graybeard,I have never shot one of his one piece recurves but I have seen his tradesman-ship first hand. Impressive.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fanto

#12 Post by Fanto » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 pm

hazard wrote: I have always regretted letting any of my bows go and at the 'Garage Sale" price 2nd hand bows have to be sold at I feel getting rid of one is a redundant exercise. If the perfect opportunity comes up maybe then. Or even give one you never use to a keen novice.

Hazard

Im still just a keen novice! but yes for sure I would give one to a mate rather than sell in a fire sale

Trad Bound

#13 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Jayden
only had it a week or so it seems very good , some reviews indicate that the limbs can be a bit higher poundage than marked so don't go overboard. It looks good and shoots well, just the idiot who shoots it does not always aim it correctly :oops: .
I debated the purchase for 6 months, check out the comments on Leatherwall lots of positive comments on Samick Sage(Cheaper) as well but the Red Stag is just that bit better again. Some footage also on Youtube. Value for money no question. Colour of the bow is brown not red as in the photos you see.
Enjoy
TonyJ

scuzz

#14 Post by scuzz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 am

I havnt had a great deal to do with recurves as i shoot longbow, and hopefully soon selfbow. But when i see exceptional cast/speed comming from a recurve i always ask if its a HUNTSMAN :shock: as it seems to be a common trait from those bows.

In addition, ive always said if i were to buy a recurve it would be a one piece, i would however overlook that fact for these.

Scuzz

DavidM

#15 Post by DavidM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Hey Jayden

If its any help I had a shot out of trad bounds (Tony's) new Samick last Sunday. Very nice bow to shoot, looks good and of course its at the right price. If you want something a little more modern, ILF stlye limbs, check out the bows (Pinicle-wood riser, Titan-metal riser) from Tradtech in the US.