Shaft size and glue on broadheads

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Axefanatic

Shaft size and glue on broadheads

#1 Post by Axefanatic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Folks.

I have recently switched over to wood shafted arrows from trad painted carbons.

I have some Tusker Spirit screw on broadheads that were for the carbons, but I have pulled the insert out
in an attempt to check the fit on my 11/32 arrow shafts.

The shafts are spined to my bow weight, and seem to shoot 125 gr field points well enough, but
the end of the ferrule on the BH is smaller than the arrow shaft.

So I guess the big question is do your shafts generally match the open end of the arrow ferrule?

I am not confident enough with my accuracy at present, so I wont be hunting with these or any other head
any time soon, just attempting to square away some of the variables ahead of time.
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Axefanatic

Re: Shaft size and glue on broadheads

#2 Post by Axefanatic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Righto, I just found out Imadoofus....... again! ( Some may say still )

As it turns out, the glue on Spirits appear to be 100grn (no adapter) and a 5/16" ferrule.

Guess its time for some new broadheads, just dont tell the wife :wink:
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:44 pm

Yeah mate mate it is best to get the ferrule the same size, or even slightly larger, then your arra shafts.

Jeff

Axefanatic

#4 Post by Axefanatic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks Jeff, I imagine it would be better for the target to ride up over the ferrule, rather than risk snagging on the shaft.
Maybe even breaking or lifting a splinter.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:15 pm

Arrows often break right behind the point so if a ferrule is smaller then the arra shaft it means it will brake easier as this point because the shaft is thinner where the ferrule ends. I think the biggest advantage of having the shaft smaller than the ferrule though is that it has been shown to aid in arrow penetration on game.

Jeff