Just Finished a Asiatic Style Quiver

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Just Finished a Asiatic Style Quiver

#1 Post by perry » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:13 pm

well my interpretation of one anyway.
PB290757.JPG
PB290757.JPG (195.2 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
Lots of Happy Stuff Ups that kept me scrambling reimagining the final look. I'll list a few

Originally wanted a Gold Border between the Black Mexican Braid and Maroon of the Quiver Body - the Maroon Dye bled in one tiny spot near where the front Strap is into the Border so I covered it up by Dyeing it Black

The Phoenix was meant to be Gold also but again the Maroon Dye bled in one tiny spot, covered it with Black.

I mixed a gorgeous Blue with a hint of Mauve for the Bluebell Flowers, 3 Coats of Dye but it turned Grey with a Hint of Mauve when I applied the Finish.

End result I have gone from a bright Breezy Colour Scheme to something that looks like a decoration Lily Munster might hang on her wall - I REALLY LIKE IT.

Original Plan was for a Belt Quiver with removable Straps so I could fit a Shoulder Strap for a little more versatility. I was going to secure the Belt Loops with Eyelet reinforced Holes and Open End Screws but decided to try out my new Slot Punch instead - stupid cut the Slot at the wrong Angle, the Belt Loops would not Hang properly so now it has a Shoulder Strap only. It hangs perfectly and does not flop about.
PB290753.JPG
PB290753.JPG (197.35 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
Overall I am pleased as punch with it. Next is a matching Armguard and Accesory's Pouch which will also be suspended on a Shoulder Strap

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Curvemeister

Re: Just Finished a Asiatic Style Quiver

#2 Post by Curvemeister » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Beautiful work mate , looks great
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Love it Perry, you do great things with leather.[ dont make a bad bow either :wink: 8)
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Looks good Perry, will we get to see it at the Gympie trad shoot?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Looking real good mate,a lot of time spent on it hey :wink:

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Evening Fella's thanks for the Kind words.

Daryl I'm going up to Gympie and hope to have this Quiver stuffed full of Cane Arrows whether or not I have my Grozer Bio Composite.

Rod, well over 20 hours Mate.

The next one will go quicker as I have the Pattern now. I will modify the Perrybuilt Pattern so I can make a Period Correct Quiver for when I help out at the 2013 Abbey Medieval Fayre.

I was going to use this Asiatic symbol but chose not too because of it's resemblence to the Nazi Swastika. A shame as the original meaning was one of Unity.
4horse8if.jpg
4horse8if.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
What do you Folks think, is the 4 Horse Head Symbol suitable or does it make you as uneasy as it did me

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Blinkybill

#7 Post by Blinkybill » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Awesome quiver Perry. That looks great!

I thought that four horse head symbol was quite cool. Although I can see what you're saying about it resembling the swastika. Maybe you could modify it slightly??

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

daniel boon

#8 Post by daniel boon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Nice job on the quiver.

perry

#9 Post by perry » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Good News just now, my Grozer Bio Composite Magyar Bow has Shipped - new Bow to go with the Quiver. Started the matching Armguard a couple of hours ago and soon as the Bow arrives I'll start a Pattern for a Bow Quiver, the type the Bow rest in :biggrin: Yahoo

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Chase N. Nocks

#10 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:50 am

Mate good to hear the bow is on it's way, I can't wait to see it.

Use the symbol as is. If stupid people hijack something it is up to the rest of us to take it back.

The quiver above looks amazing. Like the shoulder strap idea.

Beautiful work as usual mate.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Buranurra

#11 Post by Buranurra » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:51 am

That is an awesome piece of leather work there mate! Great news on the bow as well. Happy days!
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:25 am

Nice work on the quiver. I don't see any problem with using that symbol if that is what you wish to use.

Jeff

flyne

#13 Post by flyne » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Nice work mate
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

perry

#14 Post by perry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words and Feedback Folks. I used the Quiver today. It carry's so well I was not even aware I was wearing it, very pleased. I would like to be able to carry a few odds and ends like a String, Multitool etc so I will think about designing an accesorries Pouch that attaches to the Shoulder Strap.

When I woke up this morning I had changed my mind about making a historically accurate reproduction of this Quiver. At least for now I am keen on making the top Pattern pictured -
turcoman_turkish.jpg
turcoman_turkish.jpg (156.95 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
and Tooling either the Four Horse Head Motif or this Tree of Life representation
images.jpg
images.jpg (10 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

daniel boon

#15 Post by daniel boon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:00 pm

That quiver is awesome, great job. And I like the Tree of Life motif.

Roadie

#16 Post by Roadie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 am

Looking Good Perry, Use the Horses Perry, if people are offended they don't have to look. Just of track a little, at our Branch (SA) State Safari, I won Best Craft Item, for my Quiver I made using 2 Glenfiddich Malt whisky containers and fur. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#17 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:49 am

Roadie wrote:Looking Good Perry, Use the Horses Perry, if people are offended they don't have to look. Just of track a little, at our Branch (SA) State Safari, I won Best Craft Item, for my Quiver I made using 2 Glenfiddich Malt whisky containers and fur. Cheers Roadie.
hope they were empty! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Buranurra

#18 Post by Buranurra » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:00 pm

I agree that the horse symbol is good. The "swastika" symbol known as Manji (whirlwind) in Japanese is, as you know a Buddhist symbol representing universal harmony and the balance of opposites. It has been used widely in Asian cultures for centuries before the Nazis stole it.

I don't think there is any way people would think you are a neo-nazi by using the horse symbol, I certainly wouldn't have thought of the nazi swastika unless you had mentioned it in your post.

cheers

jase

perry

#19 Post by perry » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Roadie wrote:Looking Good Perry, Use the Horses Perry, if people are offended they don't have to look. Just of track a little, at our Branch (SA) State Safari, I won Best Craft Item, for my Quiver I made using 2 Glenfiddich Malt whisky containers and fur. Cheers Roadie.
Thanks for further Feedback on the Horse Head Motif, People now Days draw some Tenuous Links about such things on occasions. Great to read that Folks are aware of the True meaning.

Last time I spoke to you Grant you where telling me of your Glenfiddich Malt Whiskey Container Quiver, Best Craft Item, Top effort Mate ! :biggrin: They're has been several threads recently where Folks have Posted Quivers and the like made from Recycled items, someone should start a thread featuring this Gear, anything from a PVC Pipe, Downpipe to Glenfiddich and Ladies Fur Coats, though I know at least 1 person here who gets around on the "ODD" occasion in a pair of Ladies High Top Boots :wink:

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

perry

#20 Post by perry » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Finished this matching Armguard today
PC010754.JPG
PC010754.JPG (199.85 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Roadie

#21 Post by Roadie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Now that is Nice, excellent Job Perry as always. Cheers Roadie.

Buranurra

#22 Post by Buranurra » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Top job again Jacko! I eagerly await your next creation.

Cheers

Jase

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 pm

They should go together well. :biggrin:

Jeff

Chase N. Nocks

#24 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 pm

bigbob wrote:
hope they were empty! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Please Bob, this is Grant we're speaking of here. :lol:

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

danceswithdingoes

#25 Post by danceswithdingoes » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 am

Nice work Perry
ImageImage

Tomp

#26 Post by Tomp » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Perry,

the quiver and arm guard look fantastic! You have done a really fabulous job on both of them - well done - you are a real craftsman.

I look forward to seeing them "in the flesh" at Gympie in a few weeks. I'd also love to ask a few questions about how you do the carving and dyeing as I'd love to have a go myself.

Hopefully that Grozer Composite bow will be here soon and you can get on and set it up with some arrows.

Stay well ands I'll see you at Gympie.

best regards,

Temudjin

perry

#27 Post by perry » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 pm

G/Day Tom, I have a number of items winging their way to me as well as the Grozer, likely back logged in Customs. Postage is already slow due to the earliest start of the Christmas rush for us Posty's since before the 08 GFC. I would hope to get the Grozer by the end of next week, I'm trying not to hold my Breath.

I have a set of Sitka Spruce Shafts that should suit the Grozer but I have 18 Buffalo Horn Nocks I bought off EBay that will go nicelyfitted to another set of Bamboo Arrows using Bunnings Bamboo Tomato Stakes. No use in starting either set until I have the Bow. I was gifted 6 x 40/45# Cane Arrow Shafts. They are less than 1/4" in Diameter and a underspined for the Grozer but will work fine for a Selfbow I have.

This Quiver and Armguard are only my 4th or 5th Multicolour Dye Projects so I have much to learn.

I'd be happy to get you started with a little Leathercraft, best way is hands on. I taught myself through Trial and Error. Early this year I was gifted some Leathercraft DVD's which turned the light on for me. I could cut an Armguard profile and have a simple Tooling Project all organised for you, a couple of Hours to get everything bar the Stitching done. I'd show you how to Sew the Lining on the Armguard. You could finish it in the down times when the shooting is done I can guarantee you would learn enough to start making your own projects. It would cost you a can of Dark N Stormy. I'd be stunned if you could not buy every Tool you NEED for under $100. Leather and Dye are another Story

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Zarasp

#28 Post by Zarasp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:19 am

Well-done mate,
i also like the 4 horse figure, can't see why not ...
& of course the Phoenix, the old Persian spirituality symbol, thumbs up.

cheers
Z.
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

perry

#29 Post by perry » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:18 am

Thanks Zarasp, I had know idea the Persians had a History with the Phoenix, I knew it had History from Europe. I'm loving all I'm learning in this new phase in my Archery.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Zarasp

#30 Post by Zarasp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 pm

oh yes, it appears in ancient Persian literature/history as guardian to the father of their best known warrior, Rostam, which, by some accounts is believed to be an actual historical figure, around 700 BC,

in 'The Book of Kings', Rostam's father is left in the mountains as a child because he was an albino, Phoenix helps him survive until he reunites with his family, it is a symbol of natural wisdom/non-theistic spirituality & has been used in the same manner throughout Persian literature, where birds are smart, it is called "30 birds".

best regards
Z.
Last edited by Zarasp on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill