Saluki Horn Bows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Buranurra

Saluki Horn Bows

#1 Post by Buranurra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:58 am

Hi all,

Does anyone here have a composite horn bow by Lukas Novotny of Saluki Bows?

I have sold a few toys and put a deposit down, and now have a 12+ month wait. At least 12 months will give me the time to sell off a few more toys and save the extra $$ needed.

I would love to hear from anyone with such a bow and hopefully see some pics.

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

GrahameA

Re: Saluki Horn Bows

#2 Post by GrahameA » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Jase
Buranurra wrote: I would love to hear from anyone with such a bow and hopefully see some pics.
To the best of my knowledga the only Saluki owner on the forum is Guy Layton. Salukis have a good reutation amongst their owners.

Note Well Salukis are Asiatics and have different cnaracteristics to non-Asiatics and the characteristics vary according to the design.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Buranurra

#3 Post by Buranurra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Grahame,

Am aware of the style is quite different and requires a different approach to shooting as well as care. I should be a fun learning curve. Looking forward to trying a thumb ring out as well.

Cheers

Jase

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:22 pm

you lucky bugger!

is Lukas based in the US or france these days?
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Buranurra

#5 Post by Buranurra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Fanto wrote:you lucky bugger!

I wont be lucky if my wife discovers the actual cost!!!!

I am pretty sure Lukas is in the US.

Cheers mate

Jase

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Buranurra wrote:

Cheers mate

Jase
I know how that is mate. I live in fear that if I die my fishing tackle, spearguns, bows and knives will all be sold for what I said i paid for them..

Ive set my sights on a saluki, i think its the scythian, its a "cupid" style reflexed recurve laminated bow. A mate of mine is into the Owl bows, its over $1000 for a sinew backed one I think his horn bows are $3000 plus :surprised:
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Buranurra

#7 Post by Buranurra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Fanto wrote:
Buranurra wrote:

Cheers mate

Jase
I know how that is mate. I live in fear that if I die my fishing tackle, spearguns, bows and knives will all be sold for what I said i paid for them..

Ive set my sights on a saluki, i think its the scythian, its a "cupid" style reflexed recurve laminated bow. A mate of mine is into the Owl bows, its over $1000 for a sinew backed one I think his horn bows are $3000 plus :surprised:
Ahhhhahahaha - Brilliant, that is so true! :lol:

I wanted a Cossack type bow, my wife is Kuban Cossack (and, yes I know I should be more afraid!) and wanted something typical of the region rather than something too Arabic in style. We discussed and I quote some of Lukas's response;

"The bow that comes to mind and would be used by Cossack pretty much through out that whole region is Crimean-Tartar design, which is double curved like the Scythian bow, just larger and with real static tips. "

and ...

"The Russian type reflects the same Tartar influence. I would stick to the double curved type of the Tartar design. I wold not paint it with the typical Islamic designs, but rather something that resembles European art work"

So I am pretty excited about this.

Buranurra

#8 Post by Buranurra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:03 pm

... I imagine that it will look something along these lines, perhaps not quite as intricate in the level of painting

https://plus.google.com/photos/10034451 ... banner=pwa

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:34 am

Hi Jase.
Buranurra wrote:... I imagine that it will look something along these lines, perhaps not quite as intricate in the level of painting

https://plus.google.com/photos/10034451 ... banner=pwa
That was not good. I feel the desire to own a Saluki - it will probably turn into a long term bow-building project. I need an injection of 20 years experience.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Fanto

#10 Post by Fanto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 am

for the love of God someone lock this topic!

:)

Buranurra

#11 Post by Buranurra » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Hahahaha :biggrin:

have look at this, discounting the longbow comparisons as I think this is a bit nebulous without knowing the exact weight and arrows used, but the making is quite interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGcYGwqb3So

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi All.
Buranurra wrote:Hahahaha :biggrin:

have look at this, discounting the longbow comparisons as I think this is a bit nebulous without knowing the exact weight and arrows used, but the making is quite interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGcYGwqb3So
Recurves

a) Store more energy for a given draw-weight than an English Longbow.
b) English Longbows for a given draw-weight will shoot slower than a Recurve.

Watch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiBs2FQyIYQ
Grahame.

Buranurra

#13 Post by Buranurra » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I am in a bit of a conundrum regarding what poundage to request. And would like some opinions from you all if possible?

I am shooting 42# currently with my Predator which is easy to comfortable. The Saluki will take around 12months to complete. I was thinking 50, 55 or 60 - or higher ??? what are your thoughts given that I will never be purchasing a 2nd (unless I win lotto) in my lifetime. I also imagine that this will be a 'special occasion' bow rather than a workhorse. Having said that it will be my intention to 'blood' the bow at some stage.

Cheers

Jase

Fanto

#14 Post by Fanto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Jase

we are at about the same point in our shooting I imagine and for what its worth id get 50# because its plenty to hunt, plenty of fun, more than likely to be legal to hunt on state land across the country if and when victorian style laws come to a state near you, and is light enough that you will be able to shoot it when your beard is grey.

regards

fanto

Buranurra

#15 Post by Buranurra » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Fanto,

That makes good sense! My beard is half grey now but I know what you mean.

Cheers

Jase

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm

I was thinking 50 -55 pounds also. :biggrin:

Jeff

Buranurra

#17 Post by Buranurra » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:I was thinking 50 -55 pounds also. :biggrin:

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I think that is a good range to go for, I imagine there would be a degree of variation in what weight is aimed for when the bow is being made?

Cheers

Jase

Blinkybill

#18 Post by Blinkybill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:10 pm

:surprised: Im Jealous! Good on you though. You need to treat yourself every now and then :wink: I bet it'll be a long 12 month wait... :lol:

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

Buranurra

#19 Post by Buranurra » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Blinkybill wrote::surprised: Im Jealous! Good on you though. You need to treat yourself every now and then :wink: I bet it'll be a long 12 month wait... :lol:

Ben
Thanks Ben

It took 24 months for my Japanese Sword to be forged, polished and mounted for the martial art I teach. 12 months wont be too bad, and I need that time to get the balance of funds together.

Cheers

Jase

perry

#20 Post by perry » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:03 am

I have been waiting since the 28th of August for my Grozer Bio Composite Magyar, no word yet, hopefully it's not far away, a 12 month wait would drive me nuts especially for as nice a Bow as these Saluki's are reputed to be. Each time I visit Hun Archery's website I have a look at the Saluki's

I have spent the last 3 or 4 weeks learning of the Eurasian Steppe People and on Monday received a copy of Erik Hildinger's "Warriors of the Steppe" . It's an interesting read. Payday today so I will likely order a copy of Kays Thumbring Book. Have been considering for a few weeks now making and then learning to use a Thumb Ring.

Shooting off the right hand side of the Bow makes a lot of sence to me as I suspect Arrow Spine would be less critical. With a Thumb Ring the String is captured outside the line of the Bow and the Arrow is outside it also. Mediteranian Loose has us pulling the String from the Right and the Arrow shooting from the left [RH Archer ], especially when shooting off the Index Finger Knuckle.

If I decide to learn to use a Thumbring I guess I'll find out if my supposition has merit. I do worry about messing up shooting with a Mediteranian Loose with the different Form required with Shooting off my Left Thumb and Drawing with my Right. I'm so used to shooting with a Cant for instance, would need to hold the Bow vertical with a Thumbring - so much to try and learn.

Good luck with the Saluki, they look gorgeous.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Buranurra

#21 Post by Buranurra » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi Jacko,

I am looking forward to discussing the aspects of these bows and thumbrings further with you. No doubt you have seen this site on thumbrings and how to make one - incase you haven't http://thumbringarchery.com/pages/how-t ... ing-that-w

Lukas from Saluki said for me to go to a jeweller and ask to use their ring measurements to find the one that fits, he said that it should go over the knuckle with some difficulty but not too tight. Then measure the inside diameter of the ring.

I am thinking of the 12 months like a lay-by, I had the deposit money but not the full whack - and it will take me the 12 months to save it.

I hope your Grozer arrives soon so I can hear more about it, and hopefully some review of the books.

Cheers mate

Jase

Blinkybill

#22 Post by Blinkybill » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Perry,
I own a 47# Grozer Old Scythian bow and I have recently started to learn to shoot with my thumb. There are a few things I would also love to talk to people about it though and I would like to buy myself a thumbring before too long. Regarding canting the bow, I think you will find you can still cant the bow as you would shooting with fingers. Because you are also pushing the arrow into the bow with you fingers, the bow can be at any angle and you should still be able to shoot without the arrow falling off your bowhand. Which makes this release ideal for shooting from horseback.
At the moment I am using a three finger release when I do horseback archery practice but it means you do need to twist your hand slightly to stop the arrow falling off your bow hand from the wind.

I found a forum which has lots of information about thumbrings, traditional asian shooting and building asian bows which you guys might find interesting. :smile:
http://atarn.net/phpBB2/index.php
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

perry

#23 Post by perry » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks for the links Fella's. I had found the atarn site some weeks back, very interesting !! Will spend time over the weekend checking out the Thumbring site. I have lifted a few patterns from atarn and have started a Quiver along the lines of this one,
img285544a665ab4260c5.jpg
img285544a665ab4260c5.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
well a Perryified version of it , Jeez it's turning out Nice, lots of Happy stuffups as usuall. Will have to make matching Belt, Knife and Armguard to go with it - will Post when Finished

and getting a start on the top pattern here soon. Soon as the Grozer arrives I make a pattern and Stitch myself a Bow Quiver also
turcoman_turkish.jpg
turcoman_turkish.jpg (156.95 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
Blinky I'd be keen to read of you learning the Thumbring and shooting from Horseback also. This is a whole new side of Archery for me. I can admire the Skills required to shoot off Horseback but have no desire to do so myself. I had a Mate around tonight I was showing how to make a Flemish Twist String, he has Horses and wants to learn to shoot his EBay Horsebow from it. Actually Gary P has bought himself one also, Crikey they are good Value for money Gary has replaced the factory mystery Braided String and fitted a Flemish Twist FastFlyte String to his and reduced the Handshock and quitened it down markedly. He is pleased with his.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#24 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:30 am

Morning All.
Blinkybill wrote:... and I would like to buy myself a thumbring ...
BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serious answer - make one. You will probably make a couple before you get one you like.

Even better - get in Contact with John McDonald at AMSO128 and buy a copy of Japp Koppeldrayers book on thumbings. Then just make a few. This is not Hi-Tech Science or Engineering. The hardest part is getting the shape of the hole correct, (it is an ellipse), so that you put it on, give it a half twist and it stays on.

Perry, et al.

Is this a resurgence of interest in Asiatic Bows???

Jason.

Re: Saluki.

I would suggest 40-45 lb. How long do you intend to keep it? You may find high poundages a handful in your 70's. Equally you may find that shooting something all day doing practice to be a bit of a handful. Are you really going to hunt with it - getting scratches and marks all over the excellent finish that Lukas will apply.

Extra Bonus
Just enjoy the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC6fbryzBgk
She used to sing in the Kamchatka Capella Choir
Grahame.

rmcpb

#25 Post by rmcpb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:33 am

I have to STOP reading threads like this one!!
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

Buranurra

#26 Post by Buranurra » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi Grahame

THanks for that vid!

You are right, it doesn't seem too hard to make. I want to have a crack at making a leather one based on that link I supplied, just dunno how to cut/punch a clean 25mm hole in thick leather. I have some Urushi lacquer and some experience in using it. I think this would be the ultimate finish.

Regarding the weight of the bow, it seems the minimum he can make of the bow I am going for is 45# - I have requested around 50# so hopefully I will be okay for a long while with that. As far as regular hunting - no I wouldn't, but I would certainly like to blood it at some point, albeit taking extreme care not to scratch it.

As far as the interest in asiatic bows - I blame the people here for mentioning names like Grozer, Saluki and horn bows! :biggrin:

Cheers

Jase
Last edited by Buranurra on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fanto

#27 Post by Fanto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Jase

I was given a buffalo horn last week, if you want a piece of that for a thumbring let me know the approximate diameter and width you need and ill think about cutting it out for you. I need a reason to start chopping it up. its whole at the moment

cheers

Buranurra

#28 Post by Buranurra » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Fanto wrote:Jase

I was given a buffalo horn last week, if you want a piece of that for a thumbring let me know the approximate diameter and width you need and ill think about cutting it out for you. I need a reason to start chopping it up. its whole at the moment

cheers
Hi Fanto

THat sounds great and very generous of you! I will have to work out what size bit I would need.

Many thanks

Jase

Fanto

#29 Post by Fanto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm

No worries mate. I had a quick look, youre going to need a section about 2 inches long quite near to the tip of the horn, but you work it out and let me know.

My mates brother manages an aboriginal community in arnhemland. they shoot buffalo for food every few days so hes got more horns than... well......ill let you think of a euphemism.
anyway there are plenty. My mates who were there told me of all the uses for buffalo. including that they use the carcass to clear tracks, by towing it around behind a landcruiser!! gotta love the territorians.

Buranurra

#30 Post by Buranurra » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi Fanto

I think I will need 5cm x 4cm x 3cm thick if possible, I have worked a piece of buff horn years ago to make a japanese sword fitting, from memory it smells like spew when you grind or file it :lol:

Cheers

Jase