Samick Sage review.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

stickslinger

Samick Sage review.

#1 Post by stickslinger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 pm

I bought a Samick Sage about a Month ago based off a lot of good reports.
I had to admit that i was a bit skeptical (complete bow was only $130.00)
I tend to base a lot of my online purchases on "customer reviews" and the "3 rivers" site had plenty good to say about this little bow. (please note: this is not a plug for 3 rivers...but they are seriously good :biggrin: )
On getting the bow i was pretty impressed with the craftsmanship, it's made in Korea..but that not really a bad thing if you consider the calibre of archers that Korea has. It all fit togeather in a few seconds as it's a "no tools takedown" mine is a 50# @ 28'' which makes it about a 55# at my longer draw length. Coming from a 38# target bow the sage was a beast to pull back a first (made more difficult by shorter limbs) but within a few weeks the shoulder was on board with the new poundage.
I quickly discarded the stock string in favor of a "Fast Flight" (Sage is Fast Flight compatible) and i added a few silencers and man this thing is quiet as a mouse.
As you may have seen on a previous post i've been learning barebow and after a lot of experimenting i'm very happy shooting this bow 3 under and it hits where i'm looking.
Another plus of this bow is that spare limbs can be easily bought for around $75.00 (US sites) and poundages range from 40-60 so if your starting out it can grow with you.
Bottom line is: I don't belive you can buy a better Trad bow for the price anywhere. I'm 100% happy with this bow and my much more expensive target bow is collecting dust. If you new to the sport, or want a cheap recurve that does the job look no further.
Attachments
sage.jpg
sage.jpg (78.01 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
sagepackage1__44574_zoom.jpg
sagepackage1__44574_zoom.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

Bent Stick

Re: Samick Sage review.

#2 Post by Bent Stick » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Mate when it comes to bang for the buck, I think your spot on.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

blu-dog

#3 Post by blu-dog » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:27 pm

I don't like the look of the limb bolts...just a personal opinion thing! Do you reckon they could be changed?
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

stickslinger

#4 Post by stickslinger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah the limb bolts can be changed. you could quite easily make flush mounted bolts & companys like 3 rivers sell some pretty flash "antler bolts" that funtion the same but have whitetail antler accents instead of a bolt head. The reason for the extended bolts is so you can hand tighten the limbs to the riser, the system works very well and it's stable.
I suppose for $130.00 you can't expect the look of a custom bow, but i've alway perferred function over fashion anyway...for me the "pretty" comes from watching the arrows impacting where i want them to. :wink:

Antler bolt link:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=3400X

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Good to hear the positive comments regarding the bow. I'm sure our Aussie Trad suppliers could offer the bow at reasonable prices also. :biggrin:

Jeff

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:08 pm

I think its at least as pretty as bows like the martin hatfield or the bear hunter t/d
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

jcm

#7 Post by jcm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Good bow.
What was the postage from 3 Rivers.
Regards

John

Chase N. Nocks

#8 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for the review Stickslinger.

I concurr with what you have been written.

Not that I own one myself but have seen and shot a couple and to say I was impressed at the $$$ to performance/finish ratio would be an understatement.

Is it a Black Widow or Rose Oak or BlackTail? Hardly. But it is only 20-25% the price.

Cheap enough to make as a backup bow, fishing bow or one to have on the wall if you know someone who wants to give archery a go.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"