Quesiton about old Pearson 2pc takedown bows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

Quesiton about old Pearson 2pc takedown bows

#1 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Gday all

Im looking to add a takedown bow to the collection, thus making it 2. Pitiful I know.

anyways, does anyone know anything about the old ben pearson 2 pce takedowns? im looking at a longbow which has a hollow handle and both limbs slip in, more or less like an axe handle into an axehead.

The other style is a signature takedown recerve which is a recurve cut in half at the shelf, and has very beefy aluminium plates, that intelock with teeth and have a bolt thtough the teeth to hold them together. The plates have a tang about 100mm into the riser each side.

any info appreciated

thanks
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

NCArcher

Re: Quesiton about old Pearson 2pc takedown bows

#2 Post by NCArcher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

I have a Signature Take down that I would be willing to let go.
Send me a pm if you're interested.

hillbilly WA

#3 Post by hillbilly WA » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:25 am

Fanto, I have a Two Piece Ben Pearson Signature recurve which I got from Mick Smith about 3.5 years ago. It's 47# @28 measured if I remember correctly but last time I measured it was more like 35# @ 27. It has lost a bit of poundage in it's time (it is a 70s/80s bow and shoots absolutely beaut), but still shoots flat and silent, just has lost a bit of 'oomph' in the long shots..

I'll post some photos up tomorrow, although they're available to see in my posting history. I cannot recommend this bow enough.
Carl.

EDIT: Also, this two piece system works great. You have to make sure you take it down every 6 months or so, as they have had instances of ally plates 'fusing' together (seizing) with long use and not taking apart, but as long as you look after it you're fine. All you need to take it apart/put it together is a knife/coin/flat edge.
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 am

thanks gents for the info

NC archer, PM sent

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson