First Cresting attempt & progressive photos.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

First Cresting attempt & progressive photos.

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Well a couple of you know I have been trying to build a cresting machine & it has really gone from bad to worse. I tried everything, I just couldn't get the shafts to run sweetly :oops: :roll:
I spat the dummy & then a Spinrite crester turned up in my possession :wink: :biggrin: :lol: 8) 8) 8)

I had consulted Wayno for some tips on the best way to go about my cresting adventures. But in all my excitement I just got a brush & painted stuff :confused: :wink: :roll:

They are far from being good, but I had a go & now it's time to sit down & think about what I am going to do next & follow the directions Wayno gave me 8)

So here they are rough & ready, but I just wanted to have a go. They do look a little better now I have knocked some lumps off & put a couple of top coats over the cresting. I guess I will share them once I have feathered the little buggers.

What paints do people use for their cresting ?
Attachments
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4196 (Custom).JPG
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4196 (Custom).JPG (68.62 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4194 (Custom).JPG
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4194 (Custom).JPG (84.64 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
Last edited by Nutgrass on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

blu-dog

Re: First Ccresting attempt

#2 Post by blu-dog » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 pm

You've got 5 months to practise mate... My birthday is in July.

A couple more batches to practise on and they'll be looking schmick!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 pm

They look real good mate :biggrin:

littlejohn59

#4 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Great job there.
I too have just recently bought an arrow crester and enjoy the experimenting.
Using acrylic water base paint seem to be holding up ok.
I have come across this web site that might give you some ideas. www.jeronimocustomarrows.com
ian

Nutgrass

#5 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks Ian, there is some inspiration on that site 8)

The water base acrylic is what I used on these as well 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 am

WOW! Those "Spinrites" must be good if even you can turn out cresting like that on your first crack! :wink: :lol:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Nutgrass

#7 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Moreton wrote:WOW! Those "Spinrites" must be good if even you can turn out cresting like that on your first crack! :wink: :lol:
I reckon give you a week or two you would work out how to turn it on & then even you could do it :shock: :surprised: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Nutgrass wrote:
Moreton wrote:WOW! Those "Spinrites" must be good if even you can turn out cresting like that on your first crack! :wink: :lol:
I reckon give you a week or two you would work out how to turn it on & then even you could do it :shock: :surprised: :biggrin: :biggrin:
:lol: :lol: Touche! :biggrin:

Jokin' aside...Good onya Bud, they look fine for a first time to me (considering I'm so expert I've never crested as much as even 1 arra yet! :wink: :lol:) ! Look forward to seeing what your knocking out in 6-8 months. :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 pm

They look good Gary. Did you paint the caps onto the shafts? I have only done a few dozen but I found in my pre-trials the best way to get a nice cap is to dip it. I decided on Dulux white enamel, dipped twice with no thinning of the paint and hung vertical. It seems to sit on the shaft like a nice ceramic finish. I sprayed some yellow on 1/2 doz for young Mikey but the spray came up rough. The cresting always seems to came out better when the cap is very smooth. I use the Humbrol model enamel for the cresting. Then a couple more dips of clear to finish off the whole shaft. I used Wattyl oil based clear. It looks good but I have been getting some of the fletches lifting lately. Dunno if the Fletchtite Platinum is not compatible or I was just too lousy with it to save cleaning up a mess of glue runs.

I reckon your best move was the Spinrite. I wasted three weekends trying to make a smooth running cresting lathe and in the end bought one. It almost drove me to the point where I was ready to give up on the idea of making woods altogether. Good to see you having a go mate. Your younguns will no doubt learn from you and the tradition has more chance of survival.

Cheers........... Rod

Nutgrass

#10 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 pm

rodlonq wrote:They look good Gary. Did you paint the caps onto the shafts? I have only done a few dozen but I found in my pre-trials the best way to get a nice cap is to dip it. I decided on Dulux white enamel, dipped twice with no thinning of the paint and hung vertical. It seems to sit on the shaft like a nice ceramic finish. I sprayed some yellow on 1/2 doz for young Mikey but the spray came up rough. The cresting always seems to came out better when the cap is very smooth. I use the Humbrol model enamel for the cresting. Then a couple more dips of clear to finish off the whole shaft. I used Wattyl oil based clear. It looks good but I have been getting some of the fletches lifting lately. Dunno if the Fletchtite Platinum is not compatible or I was just too lousy with it to save cleaning up a mess of glue runs.

I reckon your best move was the Spinrite. I wasted three weekends trying to make a smooth running cresting lathe and in the end bought one. It almost drove me to the point where I was ready to give up on the idea of making woods altogether. Good to see you having a go mate. Your younguns will no doubt learn from you and the tradition has more chance of survival.

Cheers........... Rod
Thanks for the tips mate.
All the capping I have done so far has been sprayed on. I have a small dip tube & I reckon I am going to give that a go for future efforts.
I have been mucking about with some other shafts that had been made up, but hadn't been fletched yet. So I have been using them for some more practice, not to mention just having a play with them to see what the different paint & colours look like. But I agree, the spray just doesn't seem to give me a nice smooth finish. Seeing as these shafts have nocks & tips & had to spray them & reckon when I do the next set, I will try dipping & see how I go 8)

Yes I have wasted months trying to make the perfect crester, it was getting to me. The wife said "Can't you just buy one" :shock: :shock: :shock:
That was all I needed to hear :biggrin: The spinrite is great, I just can't believe how much smoother the shafts can spin on it :roll:

Hopefully the kids will learn (maybe not from me though) :lol: :lol: But they are already nagging me for a set of pretty arrows :wink: :surprised: :roll:

Keith Lee

#11 Post by Keith Lee » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:42 am

Well done Gary i've found to get a good finishes with a spray can the shaft has to be turning good luck.

Nutgrass

#12 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:55 am

Keith Lee wrote:Well done Gary i've found to get a good finishes with a spray can the shaft has to be turning good luck.
Thanks mate, That's a good tip. I will give that a try too 8) Probably shouldn't have thrown that home mad crester out now :oops: But I am sure I will fasion something up to give it a go 8)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Good effort onya first attempt mate. :biggrin: After a few sets you will have it down pat.

It was good to see the blue paint rather than pink. :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 pm

I've got some pink paint here if you need it N.G. :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:52 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:I've got some pink paint here if you need it N.G.
Don't listen to his mad raving mate, just don't listen!!! :shock: :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Hey,he likes pink more than i do :confused: :lol:

Nutgrass

#17 Post by Nutgrass » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Pink will make an appearance when I make a new set for the Daughter :biggrin:

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Chicken :surprised: dont let that Stickbow person intimidate ya mate :confused:

Nutgrass

#19 Post by Nutgrass » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Chicken :surprised: dont let that Stickbow person intimidate ya mate :confused:

Shhh, I did start another set of dodgy shafts for the practice, they may have gold capping & some pink bands :biggrin: He will love them :biggrin:

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:05 pm

OOOOhhhhhhhhh kkkkkkkkkkkkk

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Nutgrass wrote:Shhh, I did start another set of dodgy shafts for the practice, they may have gold capping & some pink bands
Tasteless!!! :mrgreen:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#22 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Jealous old fellow :roll: :lol:

hazard

#23 Post by hazard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Good effort mate, :biggrin:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Good effort onya first attempt mate. :biggrin: After a few sets you will have it down pat.

Jeff
Give the man a break Jeff he will build up to 'PINK" :wink:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Gringa Bows

#24 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Yeah ,what Haz said :mrgreen:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:51 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Jealous old fellow
Never!!!
hazard wrote:Give the man a break Jeff he will build up to 'PINK"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

whittler

#26 Post by whittler » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:07 am

3 white feathers and a white nock. Very nice job.
Alan

GrahameA

#27 Post by GrahameA » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:54 am

Morning All.
hazard wrote:Good effort mate, :biggrin:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Good effort onya first attempt mate. :biggrin: After a few sets you will have it down pat.

Jeff
Give the man a break Jeff he will build up to 'PINK" :wink:

Hazard
Pink sign-writers Vinyl makes good wraps.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nutgrass

#28 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Well thanks for all the comments 8)

I have been a little busy, so not much has been going round in the crester of late :wink:
But I had a few shafts that were just awaiting feathers. They are german pine & I haven't been happy with them as they have been very brittle & snap off just behind the tips. But seeing as they were all but finished with tips & nocks, I figured I would give them a go for the practice :wink:

Now I am not making excuses, but these are not the best as the 145 grain tips made it very hard to get them spinning straight. Any sort of wobble was amplified by the extra weight already on the tip. Now I could have heated it & removed it I guess, but I persevered & ended up with these :wink: :oops:

These were the 2nd set, Remember they all had 145 grain tips glued on them :wink: :confused:
I tried to number the lines at the nock end, but it appears my lack of skill & the wobble amplified from the tips was to much for this amateur.
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4193 (Custom).JPG
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4193 (Custom).JPG (79.22 KiB) Viewed 6066 times

These are the 3rd batch, also had the tips glued on. (hey it's my excuse & I am sticking with it)
Ahh yer Jeff, guess which ones were done for you :biggrin: :biggrin:
Now I am not sure if it's the bit of tuning I have been doing since making the change to split fingers or the white & pink feathers, but these bad boys seam to fly like darts 8) 8)
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4249 (Small).JPG
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4249 (Small).JPG (162.77 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4253 (Small).JPG
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4253 (Small).JPG (104.88 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4254 (Small).JPG
IMG_EOS 5D Mark II4254 (Small).JPG (111.02 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
Since doing these I have been to the school of John Vallery arrows for a few pointers 8) :biggrin: So between John's hands on explanations & the very detailed & informative information from Wayno, hopefully in the coming months you will get to see some better results as I evolve with my own technique.

I have discovered after speaking with John that I am using the wrong sort of paint for starters :oops: But I guess we all have to make mistakes along the way :wink: Whats the worst that can happen, the paint peels off & the feathers fall off :lol: At least I learnt along the way.

Please feel free to pass on any hints, tips or comments.

Next thing on the wish list is a feather burner. Have I mentioned that I tell my wife it's all OZBOW's fault :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks for looking.

Nutgrass

#29 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:03 pm

whittler wrote:3 white feathers and a white nock. Very nice job.
Yes mate, I think I might go with that. Just have to wait for my white nocks to show up 8)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#30 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Nutgrass wrote:Ahh yer Jeff, guess which ones were done for you
Dare I attempt to answer that? :surprised: :lol:

With time you will get it all sorted I'm sure. :biggrin:
Nutgrass wrote:Next thing on the wish list is a feather burner.
When ya get it give it a test run on the kitchen bench as I'm sure that will impress the missus. :mrgreen: :lol:

Jeff