stringing nocks

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

roscoe

stringing nocks

#1 Post by roscoe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:31 pm

I have a english warbow and it has a stringing groove above the string nock. I have found this to be the best way yet of string a longbow. My question is how come laminated longbow makers haven't added this groove for stringing there bows? Its easy to add to your bows and it only requires you have a strong string with you. It works well and stops limb twist and allows stringing a big bow easy...Roscoe

rodlonq

Re: stringing nocks

#2 Post by rodlonq » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Gidday Roscoe,

That is a good question mate and I look forward to seeing the replies from the experienced fellas on here.

Cheers......... Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:01 pm

IMO they simply aren't needed with normal length longbows as they are easy enough to string without those extra string grooves; besides they would look ugly as!!! :shock: :biggrin:

I also think limb twist is a non issue with longbows and in fact I have never ever seen one with limb twist.

Jeff

roscoe

#4 Post by roscoe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Jeff, I agree with you on the limb twist, but IMO they are not ugly. Its just one small groove above string nock. They make stringing a heavy or deflex/reflex longbow a breeze....Roscoe

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:53 pm

We all see things differently mate and I for one can't imagine putting an extra groove in the tip overlays of my bows; they aren't really big enough to anyway and I still reckon they would be ugly as. :lol:

Jeff

wishsong

#6 Post by wishsong » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 pm

What Jeff said .
The bow length of most glassed bows makes them a piece of cake to string with out a stringer ..... if I had a 78" Warbow it might be different.

dawallace45

#7 Post by dawallace45 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:33 pm

I make mine with slightly bigger grooves to take a stringer , makes it easy if you have a bad back like mine

David