"pick that bow" (see attached photo)

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Coron

"pick that bow" (see attached photo)

#1 Post by Coron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:50 am

G'day everyone.
I was at a shoot a week or so ago and had trouble putting my bow into a category (recurve, horse bow, longbow)
it was purchased as a "Scythian bow" which tells me its a horse bow but it has no syahs and technically isn't a recurve as no part of the string contacts the limb, but im not happy to call it a longbow.
technically i would call it a heavily deflex-reflex long bow but it doesn't seem right to call it a longbow
a pic says a thousand words
!CDfMkD!Bmk~$(KGrHqUOKowE0fe4jMQtBNO)lku5cg~~_12.JPG
!CDfMkD!Bmk~$(KGrHqUOKowE0fe4jMQtBNO)lku5cg~~_12.JPG (15.73 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
any thoughts? its got me stumped
on another note, its one of the nicest bows I have had the pleasure of shooting, fast and accurate and oh so smooth on the release

thanks guys
Harry

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: "pick that bow" (see attached photo)

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Harry,

Your bow is not deflex/reflex in design at all; it is reflex/deflex in design as the limbs first reflex back away from the handle of the bow and then deflex. It is actually a type of recurve, a semi-recurve. There are in fact a number of differnt types of recurves; semi, static tip, part working and full working etc.

Jeff

Night Wing

#3 Post by Night Wing » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Here in the US, some people call your bow a "flatbow".

http://archerybowshop.com/longhorn-turk ... -checkmate
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 185 fps. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 174 fps. GPP: 11.37

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Coron wrote:G'day everyone.
I was at a shoot a week or so ago and had trouble putting my bow into a category (recurve, horse bow, longbow)
it was purchased as a "Scythian bow" which tells me its a horse bow but it has no syahs and technically isn't a recurve as no part of the string contacts the limb, but im not happy to call it a longbow.
technically i would call it a heavily deflex-reflex long bow but it doesn't seem right to call it a longbow
a pic says a thousand words
The attachment !CDfMkD!Bmk~$(KGrHqUOKowE0fe4jMQtBNO)lku5cg~~_12.JPG is no longer available
any thoughts? its got me stumped
on another note, its one of the nicest bows I have had the pleasure of shooting, fast and accurate and oh so smooth on the release

thanks guys
Harry
Hi Harry,

To my line of thought the term "horse bow" is the most misused/abused terminology to describe a bow.

Not all Asiatic bows had static tips 'siyahs'.

The bow illustrated in the following is being shot by a hunter on horseback. Does that make it a horse bow?
Buffalo Hunt.jpg
Buffalo Hunt.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
English longbows were shot by mounted archers.

Perhaps the various archery governing bodies should have an open division for bows that do not conform to their rules.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....