Interesting article New Guinea bows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Interesting article New Guinea bows

#1 Post by longbow steve » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Interesting article New Guinea bows

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:58 pm

It is an interesting Article Steve and one I have read before. The one thing I do not understand is why Ed does not give correct FOC figures; he uses the AMO system to measure FOC which in fact does not do any such thing. :? Not taking into account the length of the point when determining the FOC makes the quoted figures of little value IMO. An example; an arrow with a 14" point weighing 500 grains is going balance in a compleltely different place then if a 4" point weighing the same amount was used, so to get the correct FOC figure the point length must be taken into account.

Jeff

Hilly

#3 Post by Hilly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Wow i was blown away as a friend of mine gave me a black palm bow from New Guinea i have had it for about 2 yrs he said it was given to him about 45 yrs ago & it was suppose to be about 40 odd yrs old then so i dont know the real age of it as i have it on my wall it about 4ft long
Hilly

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 pm

I was given a PNG bow about 20 years ago by a mate of mine, but have never strung it. I believe it is no longer viable. but must say it feels of a very heavy poundage. I now see by the size of the arrows they throw why the bow is made this way. Very interesting.
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Bill » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:18 am

An old Army buddy did a tour of New Guinea back in the early 80's returned home with a couple of Bows, a large number of assorted arrows 8) and donated them to the archery club for a wall display. :) They were proudly put up on display for a period of time and a lot of discussion was held over them by the members and all who visited our club. Then one day the then club president :evil: (he upset a lot of people) dicided that the club-room needed a revamp and promptly removed the stone age artifacts and they were never to be seen or spoken of as to their location ever again. :(

Dryfired

#6 Post by Dryfired » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:43 pm

I have a few old arrows from the PNG Highlands. These arrows were made before 1940. FOC for each arrow is around 40% because while the hardwood heads are heavy, the shafts also weigh quite a lot.

The arrows. Each is between 120 and 160cm long.

The line in the old linoleum, below, crosses each arrow at its point of balance:

Here is an arrow head removed from the shaft alongside some arrows. The arrow heads are typically 35-50cm long.

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:47 pm

Dryfired
Do you have any pictures of the knocks on the arrows? are they bound in any way?
Hazard

Dryfired

#8 Post by Dryfired » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Hazard, the arrows don't have nocks. They sit against the bowstring which is a flat, single strand of bark. The string is about 5mm wide, so there is plenty of contact against the arrow. The arrow is held in place against the string with top and bottom fingers when shooting. Hope that explains it?

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Ah yes I get the picture and now remember a docco I saw some years ago and that explains a lot.