Has anyone tried these Hexshafts

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

UPTHETOP

Has anyone tried these Hexshafts

#1 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Had a good read of this site and was thinking of trying some of these Hexshafts as there the same price as D/Fir from the states.
Has any one tried them and if so what did they think of them thanks Wayno.

www.hexshaftarrows.com
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Nephew

Re: Has anyone tried these Hexshafts

#2 Post by Nephew » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm

They look the goods alright, Wayno, but the site reckons they have an overseas shipping policy that says the minimum you will be charged is $US65...just for postage, the shafts come on top of that!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Wayno,

They may be stronger but they still can have a bend or two in them and need straightening just like any other wood shaft. I would probably stick with the D/Fir. Dave Richardson - mentioned in how the shafts came about - sent me some many years ago.

As an aside Dave and John Dodge made some of the finest arras you would ever see - master craftsmen indeed!!!

Jeff

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 pm

My very first wooden arrows were hexshafts made by the very best arrow maker in the whole wide world. It was a pity he didn't listen when I told him the specs of my bow, and made them for a bow much lighter (too weak). The price I paid, I was really ripped-off, but didn't know any better. They are probably really good if you get the right spine.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

UPTHETOP

#5 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas it is much appreciated.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 pm

I bought a set of Whispering Arrows from one of the boys here {Mr Kleinig}. They are hex shafts. Through his generosity I got a set I would never have been able to afford.
I like them and they go well but a couple out of two dozen "softened" and lost their spine but only after a lot of use. I routinely check all timber arrows for straightness and spine. No matter the species or pedigree you have to reharden and straighten some by burnishing them with a screwdriver shaft.

Timber is timber. Not perfect. Never will be but I love shooting timber. They feel great. The only arrows that have not softened at all are bamboo so far.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

jaselpool

#7 Post by jaselpool » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi - trialed these a few years ago for the shop and wasn't impressed to be honest. They don't show you the pin hole that runs all the way through the shaft. The marketing blurb is great but you's be better with a nice fir shaft. There is only one dealer selling them in the UK so that should tell you a lot ;)

Jase
>>––––––>
New trad archery items now in stock! THE LONGBOW SHOP

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:58 am

As time goes by we will have less access to premium blanks. As a forester and timber technologist we will have to rely upon bamboo which is quick growing or hex laminated bamboo, Hoop pine in the future and improve that technology.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.