How to make and fit leather grips?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

How to make and fit leather grips?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:15 am

Has there ever been a thread on Ozbow relating to how best to make and fit a leather grip to a longbow?

I've made a few over the years, but they've never been 100% satisfactory. I don't really know the best method to shape the leather to fit a locator handled bow. I've tried shaping the leather while it's been wet and then allowing it to dry on the bow, but it still didn't work as well as I would have liked. :?

I still don't know how to lace the leather grip whereby the loose ends of the lacing aren't exposed. I've just tied the two ends together on the outside of the grip and the bottom. It looks OK I suppose, but it would be neater if they couldn't been seen.

It's always been a struggle for me to find the perfect shape to cut the leather to, in order for it to be a perfect fit. It has always necessitated a series of trial and error efforts before I'm eventually successful. Surely there must be a better way of doing it. :)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

snakeeater

Check this out...

#2 Post by snakeeater » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:06 am

Mick,

Check out this topic on handle wraps, it talks about the baseball stitch which winds up under the leather.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 1;t=052595

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi Mick, How deep is the sculpting on the locator grip?
I have some furniture grade suede that is quite elastic and within reason will stretch and conform.
pm me and I can mail you a piece to try. Steve

BenBow

#4 Post by BenBow » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:22 pm

Here are some pics that show a way that works great for me.

Trad Bound

#5 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:13 pm

BenBow
Thanks for that I'm sure it will be put to good use by Mick and co. I like that stitch I'm going to use it on another project that I was looking for a way to hold leather as firmly as that .
Thanks
Tony

GOLDGT

#6 Post by GOLDGT » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks for that Benbow im going to give that method a try myself it looks really tidy.

Hamish

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:19 am

Snakeeater

Thanks for the link (and the links within the link), I read them all. :wink:

Steve

The grip that I want to cover with leather is quite similar to the one in BenBow's photos. I really appreciate your offer mate to send me some leather, but I already own just about every thickness and variety of leather available, as I dabble in leathercrafts. I have what I consider to be the perfect leather for the job, neither too thick or too thin, and just the right colour. 8)

BenBow

What can I say? That's one fantastic source of information. Even though I've used water to shape my already cut out grips, I didn't even think of the possiblity of shaping it first and then cutting it to shape. 8) The use of bulldog clips to both stretch the leather and to use as a guide to mark the final shape is a stroke of genius! Finally, a way to get the right shape and size on the first try. Thanks for going to the effort of posting it for me.

I can't wait to give it a try. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

BenBow

#8 Post by BenBow » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:56 pm

I found this on TradGang and it was done by a gentleman named Art George. Sure have appreciated his work on this. I had saved this when I first found it and now I can't find it on the web anymore so glad I saved it.