GROZER BIO COMPOSITE has arrived / and EBay Asiatic

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Re: GROZER BIO COMPOSITE has arrived / and EBay Asiatic

#31 Post by perry » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:12 pm

yeoman I just ordered Adam Swoboda's Thumbring Book

Grahame in around 35 years of Shooting a Bow I have not Mastered it yet :biggrin: There has been a long list of coincidences / twists and other influences guiding me to learning of Asiatic / Eastern European Archery this last few Months. Too many not to take as a sign of the direction I need to take my Archery. I will choose a Thumbring method Asian / Eastern European that most closely resembles what I am familiar with and learn it inside out.

This week I have been making Strings from different Materials for this Bow. Shortly I will make a B50 Dacron String to Try. Yesterday Morning I twisted up a Dyneema String on the Grozer and shot it this Morning -in a word "Awefull". Other than my 57# Brigalow Selfbow I have not found a Bow that would shoot with Dyneema. I don't know what the Factory String is made of but the Bow did not like it either. TS1 Plus has proven the best String Material to date.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

rodlonq

#32 Post by rodlonq » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:48 am

Nice bows Perry, you should get a lot of fun from them.

I have a lot of trouble stringing my Hun bow (from Wildwood) with the step through method and it doesn't have as much reflex as either of those. It's not really that difficult but it causes a lot of anxiety every time. I have been considering filing in some extra stringing nocks and making a long string that I can stand on with two feet a long way apart (say 3 feet or so). The wide stance should offset some of the effect of the large reflex - thats the plan anyway :smile:

Cheers..... Rod

woodie

#33 Post by woodie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Perry and Rod I have a 64# Kassai hun, I made a stringer for, it is made from varnion blind cord. It has big loops, one gose in the string groove with the string and the other in the top and use like a normal stringer. This method came from Kassai and it makes it a lot easier.
Hope this helps you boys out.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

perry

#34 Post by perry » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for the tips Folks but I have grown used to using an Ankle Strap and got over pulling the Bow to Brace from so much Reflex. I made a Stringer also but decided it was easier to use the Step Through / Ankle Strap. Interestingly I have absolutely no trouble Bracing the EBay Bow using the same Push Pull Method I use with my Selfbows and Deflex Reflex Bows

yeoman originally posted this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0cjemm7 ... tube_gdata the Fella demonstrates the method the Magyars used to String their Bows in Ages Past. I will make myslef a suitable Strap so I can use that method also

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Zarasp

#35 Post by Zarasp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:54 am

these look great Perry,

i used to have a Kassai bow, changed to a Persian & then Hwarang carbon bows, all in a sense similar to this Grozer bow (none nearly as good lookin' tho) & now i'm looking at Bear & Hoyt hunters on www, just window shopping :biggrin: , never tried one, so i wonder how does a bow like Hoyt dorado or bear codiak compare to a bow like grozer & would it be wise to try them in mounted archery, speedwise, etc.
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

perry

#36 Post by perry » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 am

Zarasp, I have found my Grozer shoots faster / flatter with the same Arrows than my RER Arroyo Static Recurve which was the fastest Recurve I have owned. At 43# I have Cronied that RER shooting 550 grain Arrows at 176 fps. 223 fps with a 260 grain Arrow. So this Grozer has some serious Grunt

I have been shooting it with a new Grip as recommended in "The Art of Shooting the Short Reflexed Bow" by Adam Swoboda and it made a noticable difference in Arrow Speed. Feels damn strange though. I will need several more weeks to get used to it.

A Saw Horse is about all I would dare try Mounted Archery from, the RSPCA would have me up on Charges quick smart :lol:

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Zarasp

#37 Post by Zarasp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 pm

:lol: , from similar tests that i have seen, 220 fps sounds really good,a friend estimated the Persian bow about 180 fps, which was a bit faster than Kassai, but still not suitable for fast horses & then these Korean bows, Hwarang, they were SO fast compared to anything i had before, i used all of these with Easton lightspeed 340s with economy inserts, but -excuse the ignorance- i didn't know how much they weighted, Hwarangs didnt match well with my previous arrows, i hope to get an expert gear adjustment with these Hwarangs & start again after a long break due to injury (& the added insult :lol: )

the grip you mentioned, i'd really appreciate if you could elaborate on that J.

cheers
Z.

perry

#38 Post by perry » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 pm

here'a link to where I bought the Book http://www.thumbringarchery.org/

I had been shooting this Bow with the same Grip I've used for nearly 20 years with my Selfbows and it just did not feel right with this Grozer. The Eagles Talon Grip is as follows - Make sure only the pad of the Thumb is touching the belly side of the Grip, wrap all your fingers around the Bow but tuck your index finger under your thumb as per you where locking a thumbring. At least for me the Index and Middle Fingers hold the Bow Firmly with the Ring Finger just touching and curled around the Grip. It really suits the Grip Profile of these Asiatics

I tried several other grips as per this Book. My Fingers are quite Damaged due to Years of Indoor Cricket, especially the Little and Ring Fingers. This Grip was the most comfortable

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Zarasp

#39 Post by Zarasp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 am

Thank you J. , i heard a Korean archer talk about a very similar way, it probably is the exact same actually, what he mentioned was that , if done correctly, it might increase the output energy by allowing the upper limb to "fall" forward (in a semi-circular way) & do it's work, which was clearly visible in his shooting, is that your experience too? the upper limb falling forward in a circle instead of both limbs carrying the string forward in a horizontal plain.

TY for link :idea:

edit: i just read what i wrote & i understand if it's hard to make sense of it, but i cant put it any better :oops:

perry

#40 Post by perry » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:49 am

I understood perfectly , I don't know whats happening with the Bow, it does feel different in hand but it is not falling forward. I'm shooting with a Mediteranian Loose and still procrastinating over learning a Thumb Ring which would also influence how the Bow behaves. When I get the Grip right the Bow absolutely smokes the Arrow out and Groups tighten considerably.

If I could change anything about this Bow was made it would be for a larger diameter Grip. This Photo gives an idea as it is only a little smaller.

I don't have big hands. I guess I could fit a Leather Grip but the Binding above and below the Grip is poorly placed for this so I'll give it a few more weeks to get used too.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

wishsong

#41 Post by wishsong » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Zaeasp , having "played " with mounted archery before I think the shallow handles with no or limited shelf are an asset to nockinG an arrow .... nowhere near as easy with the Hoyts and Bears IMHO as the differencce between a shallow shlefed Hill style bow and the centreshot of the recurve was night and day with the flat handled shallow shelf much easier whilst atop the pony .......

Mind you I only played at it so your mileage may vary

Zarasp

#42 Post by Zarasp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 pm

TY for the insight guys,

@ Perry, my Persian bow had almost exactly the same grip as in picture, Hwarangs on the other hand come with a tiny flat handle, covered with a rubber grip, which i removed on one of them & built it again by wrapping to my preferred size, i've been using the same grip i learned as a kid, so there's lots of room for improvement :biggrin: , thanx again for the info.

@ Wishsong, believe me, i'm no pro either, :mrgreen: i think you make a very good point here, in mounted archery, you dont look, you touch, so using a shelf will limit/eliminate your feel of the left hand & in a sport that nocking is based on feel & not vision, that might not be such a smart move, TY for the good response mate.

oh and about Thumb draw, Perry, as far as ground archery is considered, this technique is superior in many ways, compared to Mediteranian draw. more solid weight bearing, much better aiming & better balance due to a horizontal arm are usually mentioned among other benefits, it also accommodates broad-heads nicely, again compared with shooting from left side of the bow. you are going to love it, these guys regularly practice shooting at 146 meters :surprised:

JoeLethbridge

#43 Post by JoeLethbridge » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Awesome! You should take some shots of it at full draw! :mrgreen: