Warning against drink net surfing

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Buranurra

Warning against drink net surfing

#1 Post by Buranurra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Well, I know I shouldn't have, but...

I came home last night after running my martial arts class and having finished a big project at work, so I proceeded to have plural beers. I have been wanting a longbow for a while now and temptation was too great for me to resist! :oops:

I read many reviews and ended up calling Dan Toelke to discuss a bow. Must say he was a really nice chap and I ended up buying a whip from him :shock: 62" Whip cocobolo riser yew veneers bamboo cores sheep horn tips 57# @ 28 custom made to these specs for me.

Surprisingly it will arrive around the middle of November!

Should look something like this
Attachments
P1020689.jpg
P1020689.jpg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Warning against drink net surfing

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Buranurra wrote:I have been wanting a longbow for a while now and temptation was too great for me to resist!
And you still didn't buy a longbow. :mrgreen:
Buranurra wrote:I ended up buying a whip from him 62" Whip cocobolo riser yew veneers bamboo cores sheep horn tips 57# @ 28 custom made to these specs for me.
That should be a very nice combo indeed mate!

Have ya told ya missus about it yet? :lol:

Jeff

Buranurra

#3 Post by Buranurra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Buranurra wrote:I have been wanting a longbow for a while now and temptation was too great for me to resist!
And you still didn't buy a longbow. :mrgreen:
Buranurra wrote:I ended up buying a whip from him 62" Whip cocobolo riser yew veneers bamboo cores sheep horn tips 57# @ 28 custom made to these specs for me.
That should be a very nice combo indeed mate!

Have ya told ya missus about it yet? :lol:

Jeff
Mongrel :lol:

Nope, Mrs doesn't know yet... I feel some new shoes or a handbag being bought soon. Luckily I don't think she would imagine that a bent sick would cost $750+

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Buranurra wrote:Nope, Mrs doesn't know yet... I feel some new shoes or a handbag being bought soon. Luckily I don't think she would imagine that a bent sick would cost $750+
Be careful as I'm sure she could easily find a pair of shoes that cost that much let alone a hand bag to go with them. :lol:

Jeff

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Congrats ... fine fine bows by a great bowyer .

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Jase,

I have never met you, and yet somehow I feel we are in some sort of self destructive bow buying competition.

And I like it!

congrats on your new bow, If i was to buy a new longbow it would be a Whip or a Shrew. I have read a lot of good things about them including blistering performance.

cheers

Fanto
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

wishsong

#7 Post by wishsong » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:41 pm

the Whips are are very well mannered bow with great shooting characteristics , awesome build quality by a fine craftsmen .
Also , Dan's wait times are about as quick a turnaround as you can get .

Chase N. Nocks

#8 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:41 am

Yep the Whip is an exceptional bow. Quiet, fast, shock free, smooth and forgiving and that is from my 58 inch takedown. In two months you will find one of two things happening.

You will be unreservedly recommending one to every archer you talk to or you will want to keep it a secret from your competition.

All the more amazing when you take in turn around time and price. And don't be surprised if you get it sooner than you expect.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Buranurra

#9 Post by Buranurra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Fanto wrote:Jase,

I have never met you, and yet somehow I feel we are in some sort of self destructive bow buying competition.

And I like it!

congrats on your new bow, If i was to buy a new longbow it would be a Whip or a Shrew. I have read a lot of good things about them including blistering performance.

cheers

Fanto
hahaha :lol: It is all your fault mate! Shrew you say!? (joke)

Buranurra

#10 Post by Buranurra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:25 pm

wishsong wrote:Congrats ... fine fine bows by a great bowyer .
THanks mate!

Buranurra

#11 Post by Buranurra » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Chase N. Nocks wrote:Yep the Whip is an exceptional bow. Quiet, fast, shock free, smooth and forgiving and that is from my 58 inch takedown. In two months you will find one of two things happening.

You will be unreservedly recommending one to every archer you talk to or you will want to keep it a secret from your competition.

All the more amazing when you take in turn around time and price. And don't be surprised if you get it sooner than you expect.

Cheers
Troy
Hi Troy

Tis great to hear that it was a good choice!

Thanks mate

Jase

Fraser

#12 Post by Fraser » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:58 am

I know how you feel, I got on the net after a couple of rums last week, and ended up ordering a warbow! :surprised: .

The pigs do get big up here, but I might have a bit of trouble justifying this one.

Cheers,

Fraser

Buranurra

#13 Post by Buranurra » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Fraser wrote:I know how you feel, I got on the net after a couple of rums last week, and ended up ordering a warbow! :surprised: .

The pigs do get big up here, but I might have a bit of trouble justifying this one.

Cheers,

Fraser

That is good to hear that I am not alone :biggrin: Hope to see some pics about the warbow!

Fraser

#14 Post by Fraser » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Buranurra wrote:
Fraser wrote:I know how you feel, I got on the net after a couple of rums last week, and ended up ordering a warbow! :surprised: .

Cheers,

Fraser

That is good to hear that I am not alone :biggrin: Hope to see some pics about the warbow!
That might take a little while, I'm not due to get it until next year. It's being made by Lee at Heritage Longbows in the UK. Hickory, Ipe, and Purplehart, 80ish inches long and 140lb @ 36".

I've already bought two new bows this year, I think my wife is start to lose patiance. She can't complain to much though, she's about to go away for the weekend and leave me with 4 kids to look after!

Buranurra

#15 Post by Buranurra » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Fraser wrote:
Buranurra wrote:

Cheers,

Fraser

That might take a little while, I'm not due to get it until next year. It's being made by Lee at Heritage Longbows in the UK. Hickory, Ipe, and Purplehart, 80ish inches long and 140lb @ 36".

I've already bought two new bows this year, I think my wife is start to lose patiance. She can't complain to much though, she's about to go away for the weekend and leave me with 4 kids to look after!
Sounds like a beaut. I get a hernia just thinking about the 140Lb!

Fraser

#16 Post by Fraser » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 pm

140lb won't be to bad, just have to gt used to it.

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Looks good mate :wink:

Buranurra

#18 Post by Buranurra » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 pm

... just received an email from Dan - bow is ready to ship! Man this guy doesn't mess around. Happy days!!!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:29 pm

That was quick! Anyone would think you were excited. :biggrin:

Hey, now might be a good time to tell the missus about it? :mrgreen:

Jeff

Buranurra

#20 Post by Buranurra » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:That was quick! Anyone would think you were excited. :biggrin:

Hey, now might be a good time to tell the missus about it? :mrgreen:

Jeff
Yeh, well, that is the bad news - I fessed up last week - but she had already seen all these emails on the laptop saying Warning against drink net surfing... None too happy, but systematic grovelling and the promise of reciprocity in spending has me out of the doghouse for now!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Buranurra wrote:Yeh, well, that is the bad news - I fessed up last week - but she had already seen all these emails on the laptop saying Warning against drink net surfing... None too happy, but systematic grovelling and the promise of reciprocity in spending has me out of the doghouse for now!
Does that mean some overtime hours are now needed mate? :lol:

Jeff

Buranurra

#22 Post by Buranurra » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Buranurra wrote:Yeh, well, that is the bad news - I fessed up last week - but she had already seen all these emails on the laptop saying Warning against drink net surfing... None too happy, but systematic grovelling and the promise of reciprocity in spending has me out of the doghouse for now!
Does that mean some overtime hours are now needed mate? :lol:

Jeff
Absolutely - I think this means that I need to budget for double the price of any archery gear in the future :shock:

And just to add insult to injury, my 4.5 year old daughter, after finding and flicking through a bowhunting mag, asks me yesterday in front of the Mrs, "Dad, can we go tomorrow and kill a pig and eat it????" :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Buranurra wrote:And just to add insult to injury, my 4.5 year old daughter, after finding and flicking through a bowhunting mag, asks me yesterday in front of the Mrs, "Dad, can we go tomorrow and kill a pig and eat it????"
Teaching them young. Great to see! :biggrin:

Jeff

daniel boon

#24 Post by daniel boon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:56 pm

That was quick, congrat's on the new bow and I hope it's everything you want it to be. Ordered a new LB last night, and my name comes up in April. I hope to have it by May. At least it gives me something to look forward to.

Buranurra

#25 Post by Buranurra » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 pm

daniel boon wrote:That was quick, congrat's on the new bow and I hope it's everything you want it to be. Ordered a new LB last night, and my name comes up in April. I hope to have it by May. At least it gives me something to look forward to.
THanks mate, what LB are you on the waiting list for - if you don't mind me asking?

daniel boon

#26 Post by daniel boon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 pm

Going to get a 66" 1pc Schafer Silvertip LB, from Dave Windauer. I have 2 of Dave's recurves, a TD and a 1pc, both are Awesome. Sent in my specs last night, just have to decide on limb veneers. Tossing up between some Camphor Burl or some more Koa. Beth is going to send me some pics of veneers, for me to pick from. All I have to do is wait.

Buranurra

#27 Post by Buranurra » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:26 pm

daniel boon wrote:Going to get a 66" 1pc Schafer Silvertip LB, from Dave Windauer. I have 2 of Dave's recurves, a TD and a 1pc, both are Awesome. Sent in my specs last night, just have to decide on limb veneers. Tossing up between some Camphor Burl or some more Koa. Beth is going to send me some pics of veneers, for me to pick from. All I have to do is wait.
Sounds awesome mate, hope to see some pics when she arrives!

Buranurra

#28 Post by Buranurra » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi all

The Whip has just arrived! It is almost dark but I couldn't resist going out to the backyard to fling a dozen arras! The bow is flawless in finish and feels beautiful in the hand. Despite the flaws of my form the arrows flew fast and true to my target. Super quiet with no handshock. I dunno what a "smooth" draw is as I haven't experienced a "rough" draw, but I'd say that this bow could be the definition of smooth . Despite being 15 pounds heavier in draw weight than my recurve I didn't feel over bowed but am sure that fatigue will build up fast. I will be taking it easy over the next few weeks as I get used to the weight. To me I felt I had gone up around 5-7lb in draw weight not 15.

I couldn't be happier, I will post some pics tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Cheers

Jase

Fanto

#29 Post by Fanto » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 pm

great work Jase!

Im not surprised you didn't notice such a big jump. the predator 60lb i shot "felt" harder to draw then my bow of the same weight, i think it was a combination of the very high early weight and high wrist grip. they are regarded as smooth, but non-recurved flat bows seem to be smoother.

hows about some photos??
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Buranurra

#30 Post by Buranurra » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:27 pm

THanks mate!

I will try and get pic done tomorrow

Cheers

Jase