heavy carbon arrows

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

flyne

heavy carbon arrows

#1 Post by flyne » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:18 pm

What are some options on heavy carbon arrows with out spending a fortune i use to shoot the carbon tech rinos seconds but i can't get them any more so any help would be good
thanks Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

kimall

Re: heavy carbon arrows

#2 Post by kimall » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Mate if you are going to change arrows anyway why not have a look at the high FOC option so you can build up the weight in the tip.That way you can use any of the better carbons so get any that are on special.

Cheers KIM

wishsong

#3 Post by wishsong » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 pm

the Carbon Express seem a bit heavier than most ...
But I agree with Kimall .. the high EFOC option is cheaper and easier IMHO ...

flyne

#4 Post by flyne » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks guys
im looking for at least 11+grains per inch and a high focus would be good has any one had any experience with arrow dynamics
cheers Jim

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Jim,
My AD Trad Lites are just amazing shafts . Never had any shaft so tolerant of spine and tuning before . And they take a beating .

they are the only carbons I use anymore .

flyne

#6 Post by flyne » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:49 am

Ben do you sell the arrow dynamics shafts
cheers jim

wishsong

#7 Post by wishsong » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:14 am

Jim ,
I don't sell them . i'd Contact Ted Fry at Raptor Archery or maybe 3Rivers ..... Ted is a great guy to deal with . Tell him I sent you .

perry

#8 Post by perry » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Another option to increase the mass of a Carbon Shaft other than heavy points and Incerts is to slide a length of Fly Screen Rubber that's been cut to length to butt up against the Nock and Point Incert. You can add further mass by incerting Whipper Snipper Nylon up the inside of the Fly Screen Rubber. You even have the option of using different diametre Whipper Snipper Nylon to add further mass.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hazard

#9 Post by hazard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm

I tried those weight tubes and I found them terrible! when you install them you have to crimp them with pliers every inch or so to stop the rattling. But that doesn't work as nicely as it shows you on "youtube".

If you crimp it too tight it is a "Ba$tard to put in the shaft and it it is too loose, your knocks pop out when the arrow hits the target. It even pops out glued knocks after 8-9 shots.

I gave serious thought to the flyscreen rubber but havent given it a go because I thought it would give me the same result as the weight tube.

I even went to a plumbing store to find a fluid like silicon you could mix up and pour in that would "set" and be flexable without messing with the spine of the arrow. They gave me that vacant look like I was from "Planet Zod" :roll: Some people really struggle thinking outside the square!! :roll:

Talcom powder
sand
flour
mixtures with various fixatives even wood glue (PVA) doesnt go off in the tube :x
expansion foam isnt heavy enough and varies too much in weight per arrow.

Still looking though!!!!!

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

stickshooter

#10 Post by stickshooter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:58 pm

I use 6mm pine dowel from the hardware store,it is usually 6gn per inch.
take a piece of arrow tube with you to make sure you get a length that fits nicely inside.
With a 160 gn broadhead wensel with 35gn adaptor,Eastern Powerflight 500 shaft =600gn & nicely balanced to boot :biggrin:

kimall

#11 Post by kimall » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm

I have spent(wasted) many many hours and have tried almost anything that will fit in a carbon arrow on the search for the perfect weight solution.The conclusion I have come too is that forget all the shaft weighting ideas and stick with adding point weight to get the arrow weight you are after.By adding weight along the shaft you lose some of the advantages that come with using carbons in the first place.If however you work with the heavy point idea there is nothing to lose and many clear advantages.If you really want to go that way if you use the flyscreen FOAM RUBBER tubing it adds about 90 grains and if cut an inch long and then the nock pushed in they wont move and dont normally push the nocks out when shot.I use carbon express heritage shafts and they seem real tuff with many of the currant set haven taken more then one animal.The thing I do love about carbons is that when you get a set up the works you can repeat it over and over and you know they will fly the same every time.
Cheers KIM

hazard

#12 Post by hazard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 pm

stickshooter wrote:I use 6mm pine dowel from the hardware store,it is usually 6gn per inch.
take a piece of arrow tube with you to make sure you get a length that fits nicely inside.
With a 160 gn broadhead wensel with 35gn adaptor,Eastern Powerflight 500 shaft =600gn & nicely balanced to boot
:biggrin:
Do the wooden dowels effect the spine of the arrow?
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Bent Stick

#13 Post by Bent Stick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Grizzly sticks?
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

flyne

#14 Post by flyne » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 pm

thanks guys i have tryed a few diffrent weight ading tricks with the best so far being geleten and salt mix
but i am trying to get around this and am just going to buy heavey shafts strait up and try the high foc after doing a bit of research over the last few days i have decided to go with the arrow dynamic hammer heads as they seem to be offering what im after
cheers jim

kimall

#15 Post by kimall » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:03 am

Mate I know it can be a bit confusing but if you want to try the high FOC then a lighter shaft works better and then use the weight in the point.If you do a search on Tradgang you will find mixed reviews on the tapered carbons and I know that will be the case with anything but it might be worth just getting a few to try before buying too many.
Cheers KIM

Macca

#16 Post by Macca » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Jim I have just made up some Goldtip trads 9.3g/" , I would not call them heavy weighing in at around 600g. Ended up with 21.6 FOC with 300g up front, I must say they shoot sweet. Bareshaft tuned and they are fly like darts even without flights I am using 3X4'' feathers. I think I could even get away with less feather to be honest. My recurve is 55 @28, I am drawing about 29". The arrows are coming out of the bow fairly fast, I may even add another 50g depending how they perform.

Went away the other week and shot a few goats my first with the curve (story to come). I was shooting timbers and penetration was not the best, maybe I am just used to drilling them with my 72lb Mathews Reezen. Saying that I will be testing the new arrows on the goats over the next couple of weeks.

Darren are those Concordes you are using (single bevel), is John making them with the single bevel now or are you just filing them that way? I was also thinking about giving them ago.

Cheers. :biggrin:

toby

#17 Post by toby » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:48 am

Hi Jim
I curreny shoot both hammer head standards & heavies these are what you are looking for
I have attached a link of some photos I had on here these have been made up with collars.
Ad Tad Hammer Head Heavies 15 GPI

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11652

http://www.nitrostinger.com/store/store ... duct_ID=10
Lyonel

flyne

#18 Post by flyne » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 pm

thanks guys for all the input given me a lot to think about now iv just got to make some diseshens and decide wich way im going to go
cheers Jim

wishsong

#19 Post by wishsong » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 am

Jim, I 'll drop you a few AD's this weekend if you'd like ... i have them in varying spines etc .. bareshafting them apparently is a bit of a struggle and many claim a waste of time but the sure do fly great .....
I'll ring you later .
cheers

B

flyne

#20 Post by flyne » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:51 pm

That would begreat thanks m8
cheers Jim

stickshooter

#21 Post by stickshooter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm

hazard wrote:stickshooter
as long as they are not a tight fit,spine do's not seem affected

stickshooter

#22 Post by stickshooter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 pm

hazard wrote:
stickshooter wrote:I use 6mm pine dowel from the hardware store,it is usually 6gn per inch.
With a 160 gn broadhead wensel with 35gn adaptor,Eastern Powerflight 500 shaft =600gn & nicely balanced to boot
:biggrin:
Do the wooden dowels effect the spine of the arrow?
as long as their not a tight fit,spine do's not seem affected

clinton miller

#23 Post by clinton miller » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:56 pm

for my buff arrows i use 350gr up front. i also use wight tubes. i use a 90mm long piece of the 3rivers white weight tube which is 8gr/". inside this i glue a 90mm long piece of 4mm steel rod. (4mm stick welding rods with flux removed) then the remainder of the shaft is filled with the black 3gr/" weight tube. using the white tube with the rod in it keeps the weight forward. total weight is 890gr.

kimall- how would you make a 800gr+ arrow without weight tubes? i couldn't find any points, adapters and inserts that would bring me up to that sort of weight.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

kimall

#24 Post by kimall » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Yer 800 might be a bit of a push mate I think I had 450 up front and with a shaft 11 grains per inch that would be about 320 in the shaft with a full length arrow so close.I also have found with the testing I have done that the high foc will still give better peno than than an arrow 100 grains heavier but with the weight spred over the length of the shaft.Still more work to do here but now I have some bamboo coming to experimenting with.That was with heads that only weighed about 225 so with one of the 300 grain options avail now you could easy do it I think.
Cheers KIM

Troy D. Breeding

#25 Post by Troy D. Breeding » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:43 am

Hello brothers,

Been quite a while since I dropped in.

Reading the post about arrow weight and have to agree that increasing FOC will give you all the weight you can ask for.

In fact I had trouble keeping my weight down when I started working with high FOC.

Finally can up with the right setup.

Victory VForce HV shafts, 100gr brass insert, and 315 point made a 700gr arrow with 34.4% UEFOC

Troy (from across the pond)

SouthTexasPighunter

#26 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 am

Hey all I have used Gold Tip trade an got a section of between eater line and wrapped it with yarn then stuffed it in the shaft and weighted my arrows like that. Other than that I would go with the Trad sites mentioned above they are weight forward adapted. I believe they weigh in at 10.5 grains
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

SouthTexasPighunter

#27 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:09 am

Troy are you the fella that ran Sticks n Feathers in Bama
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter