Yew ELB

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Yew ELB

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 am

Morning All.

Was out at the range early today and when I arrived I noticed a fellow archer shooting a longbow. Ian has shot my my longbows a number of time when I have been there and has been captured by the beauty of shooting an ELB.

Anyhow today he was there and shooting a Yew ELB. The bow is pre-loved around 45@28 and made from Yew from the Ardennes.

I had a few shots out of it and I found it great to shoot - I would be happy to shoot it at any opportunity.

Great to see another Longbow in action.
ian1.jpg
ian1.jpg (61.98 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
The whole bow - all 6'8" of it. Love the big bow. Notice how the bow follows the grain and as such appears different compared to laminated bows.
ian2.jpg
ian2.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Close up - It really is a great bow.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

wishsong

Re: Yew ELB

#2 Post by wishsong » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 am

Grahame ...
What a great looking bow ... A nice ELB is on my wishlist .
At that weight and length I'd bet its a sweet shooter , forgiving and just plain fun to shoot .
At some stage in my life , on my list of "to do " things is to shoot a York round with an ELB

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 am

Burke the English longbower used a similar draw weight ELB in Austria and it was thinner in width and depth than my modern longbow made out of Yew. It was superb and he shot well with it. My osage orange ELB is extremely thick with even more character than that lovely bow you photographed. Yew staves [actually quarters in some cases] cost 90 Euros in Austria....unfortunately I had no extra baggage capacity as I had a long tube with two bows and no wiggle room.

Kevin
Last edited by longbowinfected on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

#4 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:52 am

No doubt about it, a yew ELB is really something. ELB's are really fun to shoot too. Mine made by Len from Americam Ash is a great bow to shoot.

I'm still intrigued by Kevin's report that the English longbow team shot ELBs in the World 3Di Championships.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:34 pm

That looks an interesting bow Grahame, have you got anymore close up photos of its character? :biggrin:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:25 pm

GNAS do not recognise American flatbows only ELBs. Morley shot for Estonia because of that 6 years or so ago. He and GNAS had a rather intense falling out over it.
The English / British team only had one longbower, then again so did Australia. Burke is a nice guy just like Morley.....and a great archer. Loved watching him use his ELB.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.