English Longbowman 1330-1515.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

English Longbowman 1330-1515.

#1 Post by greybeard » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Has anyone had contact with this publication?

The book was written by Clive Bartlett and Gerry Embleton. It was published by Osprey Publishing in 1995.
It would appear that there was a revision in 1999.
Although I was able to preview some of the pages of this book on the internet I would like a second opinion.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Len

Re: English Longbowman 1330-1515.

#2 Post by Len » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:03 am

Greybeard, I have this book and its a great introduction to the English archers history but like all the Osprey books its meant as a quick guide or reference not a detailed study. It does have some handy info in it but also has some that has been proved wrong with the study of the Mary Rose bows. It generally talks of the bows as being much smaller then they really were , like most books on the subject written before the studies were done but that said I'd say its a good buy for the price. A lot dearer but much better are Hardy's ' Longbow' and Strickland & Hardy's ' The Great Warbow' or the books by Hugh D. H. Soar and Jim Bradbury's ' Medieval Archer ' is not a bad read as well but the first two are the best.
Hmmmmmmm.............

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 pm

Len,

Thank you for the information.
Possibly I should be concentraiting more on books covering ancient weapons.
Do you have any suggestions for books etc that cover the design and construction of medieval bows?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Thu May 01, 2008 7:38 pm

The Great Warbow - English Longbows only.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Len

#5 Post by Len » Thu May 01, 2008 7:46 pm

The problem in researching bow making in the middle ages is that each bowyer taught an apprentice and pretty much kept a lot of his info to himself to pass on in person. In those days they didn't write books on the subject to give their rivals a leg up.
The closest thing to what you are after I think is in Secrets of the English Warbow by Hugh D.h. Soar or those couple of other books I recommended. Soar's book has a chapter on the construction of the bows as well as a lot of info on forging arrow heads and such. Hope this helps :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Grahame and Len,

Thank you for the information, your help is appreciated.

Daryl.
[Ascham]