Bowhunter - Australia (New Annual Bow Magazine)

Moderator: Moderators

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: Bowhunter - Australia (New Annual Bow Magazine)

#31 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:31 pm

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Coach

#32 Post by Coach » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Ben Kleinig wrote:"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt :D

Is that aimed at me Ben ?

Gringa Bows

#33 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:41 pm

that went strait over the top of my head Ben :lol:

piggy

#34 Post by piggy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 pm

I think overall its a great mag and generally stay away from these type of discussions.
Yes I have an article in the mag!

I believe there were a number of others articles both traditional and from people not from TGBA but for various reason they were unable to get their articles in on time so therefore were not included.
As far as trad content goes I just flicked through some other mags I have here for a comparison.
Archery Action 67 pages 1 trad hunting article consisting of 2 pages
Bowhunting Down Under 83 Pages 1 trad hunting article 4 pages long
Bowhunter Australia 277 pages 7 trad hunting 28 pages
Yet no one bags them for their lack of trad content

YOU do the maths

I think it's a real shame that when someone tries to have a go at something people seem to find ways of shooting them down.
We all have a common interest in archery and as such WE should all support all efforts toimprove the sport overall.
If people are not willing to submit articles than it will be the same old people submitting articles so lets all chip in every now and then.

As I understand it if the mag makes money the contributors will get paid.

Please don't take this as me having a shot at anyone in particular I just hate seeing people being criticized for having a go when we should all be looking to help promote our sport.

Cheers

Paul

TEX

#35 Post by TEX » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 pm

I bought the mag last week and have found it to be excellent.
The only problem so far is I havn't got a good enough story to put in it.
Keep up the good work guy's and hopefully I will have a story for one in the future.
Reg TEX

Coach

#36 Post by Coach » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:49 pm

Why is it when
I think it's a real shame that when someone tries to have a go at something people seem to find ways of shooting them down.
No one was SHOOTING THEM DOWN , , they were offering FEEDBACK as to what they would like to see. Surely the Mag would benefit from this type of feedback ? ??????????????
Make it more attractive to the buyer etc . No use putting out a publication that no one wants to buy ,, aye
Or is it a case of never offering a bad report ? If so , how are they to better ????

piggy

#37 Post by piggy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Feed back is always good like you say it / we can only benefit from it. I just think that it's their first go at such a magazine so lets try to be supportive and see where next years edition goes.
I was also trying to make the point that it has more trad content based on a percentage than the other 2 mags I mentioned.

Cheers Mate

Paul

Luke

#38 Post by Luke » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks for the kind comments fellas.

ALL feedback will be given due consideration for adjustments to next year's mag. Planning is already well underway for the next edition and it is only through your constructive feedback that we'll be able to make it better than this time round.

cheers again,

Luke
Founder/Administrator The Bowhunters Group of Australia
Design Director & Editorial Assistant -

Antarcher

#39 Post by Antarcher » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:59 am

Hello everybody and thank you very much for the feedback on the magazine. I am sorry that I have never posted on here before, but I had never joined as I do not have a trad bow and would have found it a little hypocritical, though I do plan to start using trad gear in the near future. I have always however, come here as a guest and have always enjoyed the posts from the very knowledgeable crowd that is based here.

The magazine was put together in order to help bowhunting grow in Australia. I am in no way biased or tied to any group or style in particular, as to me if you shoot arrows and are passionate about it, then I am sure that I could sit for hours with you and talk bows and stuff. I really did try to get the trad content in the magazine and already have some lined for the next one. There will be some more how to's and reviews and I would welcome very much, input from anyone of you if you wish to help and make the next one better.

A lot of the guys that do come here, do come on the TBGA also and I did ask quite few to be in it. With no prior experience or background, it was hard to get people to write for a first time mag that had no history, though the guys and women that did write, I thought, did an awesome job. At this stage the next magazine is going ahead. I do have a plan for the content I would like to have in it and welcome any suggestions that you think would be good to have. I will consider all requests, though I will have limited space and cannnot fit all in in one year. There will be others though.

Please pm or email me with anything you would like to discuss in regards to the next edition. My email address is editor@bowhunteraustralia.com

Thank you once again for the support you guys have shown and please feel free to get in contact. Thank you, Antonio
Last edited by Antarcher on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrahameA

#40 Post by GrahameA » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:38 am

Morning Antonio

The magazine is/was great. Next time will be better.

Well done for the effort and the end result.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Brett Finger

#41 Post by Brett Finger » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:41 pm

Antonio,
all the hard work you and you crew put in was worth it mate,good job.
Kind Regards. Brett :D
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

losty

#42 Post by losty » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:05 am

Need a new magazine. Read the last one cover to cover. :twisted:
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.