Aussie Magazines found.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Aussie Magazines found.

#1 Post by Bill » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:09 pm

AUSTRALIAN ARCHERY MAGAZINES.

In the interest of finding some answers, can anyone tell me the story about these two Aussie Archery Magazines.

The first one is the "The Australian Archery Journal", it was Edited and Published by Rod Kennedy.

The second one is the "Australian Bowhunter", Co-Edited by Mark & Karen Ballard and Published by Australian Bowhunters Pty Ltd.

So now I would like to know when did these Magazines start and end their publications and how many magazine editions were there produced.

Did the "Archery Journal" start first and then did the "Bowhunter" magazine take over or were they two separate magazines.

Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers. Bill.

Rhino1

Re: Aussie Magazines found.

#2 Post by Rhino1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:09 am

Hi Bill, I'm not sure on the dates you are after but the later copies of "The Australian Archery Journal" were also edited by Mark and Karen and I believe that this publication was actually renamed "The Australian bowhunter" from memory this occurred in 1996 but it could have been 93, maybe 91 (yer, I'm not much help I know)

For a very long time these publications were all I had as information and references for anything archery or bowhunting related and these were my go to as I taught myself the ins and outs, each copy contained "how to's" and diy projects, everything from selfbows, bushcraft, jigs and a diy bow press which I still use, for a young kid like me growing up isolated on a cattle property it was my absolute Bible, I still have around 15-20 copies if you were looking for more.
Even though the bulk of them were black and white with a few colour pics, todays available magazines have nothing on the wealth of information that the Ballard's invested into these publications, I have some old copies with very young pics of Adam Greentree and Scotty Meadows which is interesting.

Good luck with it Bill, your always doing something very interesting with australian archery history, you need to write a book about it some day.
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Bill » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:27 am

Interesting story there Rhino, I'm glad they gave you a lot of enjoyment and knowledge.
Looking through the ones that I have there is a large amount that covers many and various topics that all relate around the making and using, all the varieties of archery and bowhunting equipment.
All the stories are of a high quality and make for very interesting reading from many and wide spread Australians.
Thanks for your reply and that last remark.
Cheers. Bill.

Rhino1

#4 Post by Rhino1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:45 pm

Your very welcome Bill sorry I couldn't help out more.
Merry xmas mate
"As far as I can tell my place is right here, on the smart end of this rifle" H.Glass-Revenant.