Defining Bow Performance by John Havard; Dryad Bows.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Defining Bow Performance by John Havard; Dryad Bows.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:56 am

The following is an interesting read if you like numbers.

For example, some numbers i.e. strand count in strings verses performance highlight the fact that it makes little difference in the overall scheme.

“String weight also makes a difference in arrow speed. Much has been written about string materials and string designs. But based on our fairly extensive experience we’ve found that varying string weight by 20 grains makes about 1 fps difference in the speed from our ACS bows. We usually test our bows with 12-strand DF-97 flemish twist strings – the exact same string that we use to hunt with our bows. Again, we’re interested in determining how the bow performs for the archer. On conventional bows with heavier limbs and with lower SE/PDF and DE numbers, changing string weight as much as 75 grains is necessary in order to make a difference of 1 fps. Sort of like putting an extra 1000 pounds on an 18-wheeler that already weighs 35,000 pounds. You won’t notice it! “
Defining Bow Performance Dryad.pdf
(345.09 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Jim

Re: Defining Bow Performance by John Havard; Dryad Bows.

#2 Post by Jim » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Interesting and informative reading Daryl. Thanks for sharing it.

Jim.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Defining Bow Performance by John Havard; Dryad Bows.

#3 Post by greybeard » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:19 am

Jim, pleased you enjoyed the article.

A few extra numbers, variables [based on olympic grade recurves] the Formula 1 of archery.
Variables.jpg
Variables.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....