ARCHERY PRE 1950

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

ARCHERY PRE 1950

#1 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:29 am

If you are interested in old archery books the following link has many hours of enlightening reading;

http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/

Happy reading,

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mattkaye

Re: ARCHERY PRE 1950

#2 Post by Mattkaye » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:04 pm

This is great, thanks Daryl.

Matt

Roadie

#3 Post by Roadie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks Darryl, which one are you reading. Cheers Roadie.

littlejohn59

#4 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Hey Daryl

Excellento. Thanks!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:26 pm

Roadie wrote:Thanks Darryl, which one are you reading. Cheers Roadie.
At the moment I am perusing different chapters in the various books depending on what projects are at hand.

As you would be aware I have been extoling the virtues of Degame [lemonwood] for selfbows and have made comment about the draw weight of the bows falling short of expectations for the limb cross section.

I was checking out the chapter on 'Bow Woods and Bow Staves' in the book by By L. E. Stemmler, 1942 this morning and came across the following

LEMONWOOD (Calycophyllum candidissimum), the degame of the wood importers, is a native of Cuba. It is hard, heavy, tough and springy. It comes in small logs or spars and is straight enough to be sawn into bow staves. It is the most satisfactory and reasonably priced wood of which to make a bow. It grows in the mountains, and most of it is carted by oxen to a port for shipment by steamer. The bark is a reddish brown, rather stringy and somewhat resembles red cedar bark. It has nothing to do with lemons; the name refers to its colour. It varies from a light yellow to a light brown and is often mottled. We have found that the spars yielding the very best bow staves have a distinct apple green streak just under the bark. Lemonwood is a true bow wood, and for an all-around bow, as good as any that comes. The fact that the highest score ever made in tournament for the American Round was made with a lemonwood bow speaks well for its qualities.

Perhaps through logging and milling the timber most suited to the bowyer is being wasted. Tree size; 40-80 ft (12-24 m) tall, 1-2 ft (.3-.6 m) trunk diameter.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for the link Daryl. There's some very interesting stuff there.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.