vintage projects

Moderator: Moderators

nimrod

vintage projects

#1 Post by nimrod » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:04 am

WWW.vintageprojects.com just have a quick look at this site has plans for a flight bow longbow flatbow recurve wooden crossbow all from the fifties cheers hugh.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi Hugh,

Thank you for the link.

I like those old magazines/books on ‘how to make projects’ of the 1940 and 1950 era that were popular in America.

What I have noticed is that with the various articles published on making wooden bows a distinction was made between longbows being ‘D’ in cross section and flatbows being rectangular in cross section.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

kerrille

#3 Post by kerrille » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:01 pm

yep very interesting gunna put it on my favorites list and hunker down and do some reading ...thanks mate nev
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

pommy chris

#4 Post by pommy chris » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:25 am

what a great site that is.
cheers
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

Glenn Newell

#5 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Good point Daryl, a longbow having a 'd' section and a flatbow being rectangular, makes sence...Glenn...

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi Glenn,

I forgot to put this in my reply to the original post.

The authors opening paragraph of the article regarding flatbows was;

"WHEN the white man provided the American Indian with a cheap trade musket in place of his native bow and arrow, he saved himself a good deal of grief for had the red man developed his weapon along a logical path he might have arrived at an approximation of the bow we now know as the ‘semi-Indian flat,’ or American bow. With such a bow he could have shot with accuracy at a hundred yards (about the extreme accurate range of the long rifle), and could have delivered arrows faster than any frontier scout could load his rifle."

Unfortunately I do not know the background of the author so to some extent the above has to be taken on face value.

If the above is true is the ‘Howard Hill longbow’ just a develpment/progression of the rather shorter American Indian flatbow?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

nimrod

#7 Post by nimrod » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:23 am

daryl some of the old stuff is is great to read when we last moved house I threw out some books looking back I wish I had,nt as they were OLD 1920s stuff :roll: :roll: :roll: just glad that I managed to get some video copies before of wally taber / osa johnston / fred bear /howard hill / bill negley its great looking back at these with my grandsons cheers hugh