Australian Survival Instructors

Moderator: Moderators

ASI

Australian Survival Instructors

#1 Post by ASI » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 pm

We are a NSW based outdoor and wilderness survival training company, running various courses in NSW (and expanding). Feel free to check out whats available. We also have a new 1 on 1 ( 1 instructor to 1 student) "Hunt safe & Survive" course, based on outdoor survival skills, knowledge & techniques and bowhunting combined (students get to hunt and stalk for real).

Feel free to email - info@aussiesurvivalinstructors.com - for any further info you may require. :smile:

https://www.aussiesurvivalinstructors.com/

longbow steve

Re: Australian Survival Instructors

#2 Post by longbow steve » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:00 pm

I am sure some will find your courses interesting. Good on you for promoting trad/primitive archery within the course. Steve

morganp

#3 Post by morganp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Yeah, it is easy to be cynical about these things especially if country bred n raised. However, as I find when some folk from town visit, they don't even know which end of a bull to milk. So if some want to pay for such, good on 'em. And as Steve says, promoting primitive is a great thing.

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

What is considered Primitive, Kalahari Bushmen, Papaua/ New Guinea natives, these folks used Bows, so what do you class as Primitive. Cheers Roadie.

ASI

#5 Post by ASI » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:19 pm

'Primitive' is a generic term, understood by most people to be 'not modern'.
Most people would class Oetzit the Iceman as being 'primitive' (even though I personally do not, nor do archaeologists), so we use the term most understand.
We could use 'Upper Neolithic' or 'Aboriginal' or 'Stone age', but 'primitive' seems to get the correct message across, as to what students can expect to both do and learn.

Primitive is friction fire, a ferrocerium rod is not. Primitive is a Osage or Yew self bow (made by myself), a Mathews Z7 is not.

We teach, 'Primitive', 'Expediant' and 'Modern' on most survival subjects. For instance shelter is covered from basic shelters found in nature, through to debris shelter buiding, to expediant uses of man made objects, through to the best lightweight outdoor gear on the market, and all sorts of stuff in between. ie: The British made Bothy bag, always go's down well recieved.

Oh, we get quite a lot of 'country' people on the courses, they like to learn just like smart city people do, too.

Learning is a lot better, than being in the 'it'll never happen to me' brigade. :smile:

ASI

#6 Post by ASI » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:34 pm

On the subject of cynicism, ask yourselves if David Iredales family would be living their lives differently these days, if David and his 2 buddies had done our 1 day "Stay Alive" course, like many young bushwalkers and Duke of Edinburgh kids do?

People get killed or rescued REGULARLY in the outdoors, it is a sad reality of the country we live in. Nature does NOT differentiate between what job you do, what colour your skin is, or where you are from.

That Canadian fella that went missing down near Kosciusko, was supposedly, 'used to the cold, and military trained'……………yeah right. Overconfidence always makes victims.

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 am

ASI, Your comments about David Iredale do not sit right with me. Even if your opinion is well founded, that sort of opinion is ok but to publicly make such a statement whilst promoting your self is tasteless and insensitive. You are promoting your course and services. Linking them to a death in such a way whilst promoting yourself is pretty ordinary in my book.

Overconfidence is not only exhibited by the guy down in Mt Kosciusko it would seem.

Many of the folk here are pretty experienced in the bush. None here would claim to be experts and/or make such a statement.
My son has had the duty to carry out deceased persons in extreme bushland in the Blue Mountains. My daughter is trained to do that too. Neither talk trash like you. Even if you were the world's greatest expert you do not have the right to deal with others' tragedies in such a way.

You go too far in prosecuting your case.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

morganp

#8 Post by morganp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 am

Agreed. Thanks for stating that Kevin.
Offensive and requires apology without further commentary by poster.

Curvemeister

#9 Post by Curvemeister » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:14 pm

ASI . what actual credentials do you have to be instructing others ?
From the one of your videos I saw on you tube , where you fished the Macleay river , your group spent a week with a leaking and broken canoe , with no real attempt that I saw to fix it ( a half dozen cable ties and gaffer tape could have fixed it in the first hour , and in a week on the river you caught one bass ?

I Totally agree with previous posts , a pretty bold , insensitve and arrogant statement , with no real substance from what I can see to back it up .
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

ASI

#10 Post by ASI » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 pm

what a strange over-reaction.

We use quite a few real life survival scenarios in our teachings, as do most Instructors. I can certainly apologise to members here, if my comment upset some, but I was not expecting such a strange reaction?

Life is what it is, facts are facts, people have accidents, and people die, in situations that may not have happened,if they had had some education or planned better.

That's reality, you guys don't have to feel so bad about it.

As for "Substance", "Credentials" etc, Morgan, Longbow and Curvie, pm your details, and I'll tee you up to come on a course for free if you like. :smile:

morganp

#11 Post by morganp » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 am

The overreaction is yours, not ours. You seriously lack empathy and understanding and do not even see you are going further in creating an antagonistic position. I would not trust you in any real survival situation let alone your own fantasy recreation.

ASI

#12 Post by ASI » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:21 am

Morgan, I have no idea why you think I'm being antagonistic.

A member here wrote that's he's cynical about teachers of survival, and the students who attend. I answered him, well 'tell that to the parents of david Iredale".

the one being un-empathatic, and cynical was him, not me.

We teach all the young blokes about that situation, and many others. At least I am doing something in life to help others. You guys seem to be totally ****** off I'm trying to help people, and I have no idea why. I am sincere about you attending a course, and also talking to anyone here in person.

I am under the impression that somehow you guys are reading something else into my answers.

I DO NOT lack empathy at all. I NEVER want a young bloke to die in similar circumstances again, and devote my life and time, trying to stop that. Your members here were the first to start being cyncical about teaching survival not me. As soon as I answered 'tell david's parents' you all jumped on me.

Yes, I was dumbfounded by having 3 vitriolic answers back. And you'll probably continue after this as well.

You know what really matters in the end?

The guys and girls we just may have saved from a shitty situation out bush. Read these testimonials here below.

http://www.aussiesurvivalinstructors.com/testimonials/

longbowinfected

#13 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 am

ASI if you stated what you wrote to the parents and family of the lad, how do you think that would go down?
In your rush to promote yourself you overstepped the lines of decency.
Facts are facts.
Sadly people die when with altered circumstances there may have been a better outcome.
No denying that.
The way you related this does not reflect well on you, this site and the members here.
You have your opinion we have ours.....
you just tried too hard and good judgement flew out the window.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

ASI

#14 Post by ASI » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Fine, I'll agree there seems to be misunderstanding on both sides. The last thing I was trying to do, was cause a rift, or 'bad reflection' on this forum, or members here, so I don't have a problem apologising for that.

I'd like to try to make it plain what I understood to have been written about courses and those who attend, and how I replied to that specific opinion.

If someone writes here, they are cynical about survival courses, what would you expect me to say, "OK, you're correct, I'll give up doing it".

Instead I have CLEARLY stated, to anyone who is cynical about what Survival Instructors the world over do, go tell your issues of cynicism, to the family of victims, that people shouldn't do courses. It seems 3 people here have major issues with that for some bizarre reason.

I had 4 young lads doing their Duke of Edinburgh, tell us, "Our leaders should do this course, they know nothing compared to you guys".

That is what counts.

I don't really give two hoots with the stupid personal crap a couple have chucked my way in the past few posts. That's simply childish ****, written to someone they have never met.

morganp

#15 Post by morganp » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Major issues? No, just some issues and in fact at beginning I was supportive in tone and words. You are foolish in the way you have responded, over-defensive and self-centered. Simple as that and if you find that insulting so be it. You have overreacted and the cynical amongst us would see you as self-serving as in 'no such thing as bad publicity'. I believe this whole thread should be deleted and your forum name should be changed to something not reminding us of your business.

You attack us and escalate the issues yourself with your manner and your abrasive style.