Tapering Tool by VA Hardwood Shafts

Looking for bow making supplies, camping gear or some leather for a new quiver, then this is the forum to check.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Tapering Tool by VA Hardwood Shafts

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:33 pm

Afternoon All

If you have to taper a fair few shafts you soon get fed up with pencil sharpener type tools . Plus they go blunt and really tear Australian hardwood shafts.

If you want a tapering tool tha will do the job faster and easier then I reccomend you try one of these.

They are made by Keith Forrester - VA Hardwood shafts and they are great. Contact Keith for more ingformation, prices, etc.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:06 pm

Cool 8)

I'll have to find out how much Keith charges for them. It looks the "ants pants". :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Yep, a good bit of gear alright!!! They work great and are excellent value IMO.

It was good to meet you and your wife on your flying visit to Maryborough on Friday Grahame. :D

Jeff

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Darn, I think I need one of those :shock: 8)

Erron

FORRO

#5 Post by FORRO » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:29 pm

Hi Mick
V.A tapering tool price for the tool is$100.00 plus postage
your mate

Forro

FORRO

#6 Post by FORRO » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:48 pm

Hi Graham
It was good to meet you & your wife last Friday.
Time went so fast. Thanks for the order and for putting the V.A tapering tool on the OZBOW site.
your
mate
Forro

LBR

#7 Post by LBR » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:06 am

I can't speak for this model specifically, but I've been using a Woodchuck taper grinder that's pretty much identical to this one and it works great. Beats a pencil sharpener type by a long way! The only thing about it is you need a vacumn system or just set it up outside, unless you want wood dust all over. Shafts must be straight to get a proper taper, but they need to be straight anyhow--a good excuse to go ahead and do that. Looking at the exchange rate, this one's a good bit cheaper than the one made here in the U.S. The Woodchuck has an aluminum base rather than wood, but my guess is that with proper care that won't matter.

If you make many wood arrows, this type of tool is well worth the investment.

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

robbbo

#8 Post by robbbo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:27 pm

Orderd a tapering tool from Keith a few days ago the tool turned up very quickly and as usual very well packaged ,on opening the quality of workmanship and the finish was well above my expectations.If any one is looking for a tapering tool I cannot recomended one of these highly enough.I have found Forros service and his products to be of the highest standard.Once again Forro thanks for everything

Robbbo :D
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:05 am

Hi Robbo

They are better than that - and probably the best investment I have made as archery extras go. Especially at the price of the pencil sharpener types (which do not like hardwood) plus it saves the wrist.

I have had mine for a couple of years now and it has done a lot of shafts! Gone through about 6 discs - but they are easy to replace.

Took it to the club last weekend and it was in use a fair bit of the day (we were having an arrow building day.)

I use my Shop Vac to collect all the dust when I am using it - otherwise wear a dust mask
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

Re: Tapering Tool by VA Hardwood Shafts

#10 Post by Nephew » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Yep-I have one too, and they are just great. Keith takes a lot of care in the building of these, and his craftsmanship shows. I can't recommend them strongly enough!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!