Ranger Bows

Moderator: Moderators

The Ranger

Ranger Bows

#1 Post by The Ranger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 am

I live in Goulburn NSW and have been making recurves and longbows for a couple of years now. I learnt my trade as a cabinetmaker and after buying a Hoyt Dorado and using that for a while, decided I wanted to make my own bow, which was effective but not really pleasing on the eyes. Since then I have perfected my style of recurve and longbow and get great enjoyment from making bows that other people can use. I now consider myself more of a bowyer than a cabinetmaker. I have been given a lot of good advice from bowyers such as Nick Lintern (Norseman Longbows) and Mark Kimber (Huntsman Bows) and I would like to thank them for their advice which they have been more than willing to give.

All my bows are made with compressed bamboo flooring for limb cores with decorative timber veneers and clear fibreglass laid over the top for appearance. As a result of having bamboo lams, my bows have a beautifully smooth draw and release. The limbs are connected to the riser with a bolt and two locator pins.
Limb bolt.jpg
Limb bolt.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
My risers are shaped to fit beautifully into the hand so the bow feels like a natural extension of your arm.
Riser grip.jpg
Riser grip.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
I make Flemish twist strings from Fast Flight plus and all Ranger Bows come with two strings.
Flemish string.jpg
Flemish string.jpg (133.22 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
To make my bows as silent as possible for hunting, the strings are silenced with Merino wool puff silencers and the limb tips have suede leather applied to them to stop string slap.
Merino silencer.JPG
Merino silencer.JPG (195.25 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
Suede shelf.jpg
Suede shelf.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
I also apply suede leather to the arrow rest. All recurves come with a Kangaroo leather tipped stringer.
Stringer.jpg
Stringer.jpg (118.65 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
If you don't want to take a back or hip quiver with you on a hunt, Selway Bow Quivers fit perfectly on my bows and I can supply them with the bow for cost.
Selway quivers.jpg
Selway quivers.jpg (124.42 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
Ranger Bows are finished with several coats Scandinavian Oil and then polished to a beautiful sheen. This gives the bow excellent moisture resistant qualities and also makes it easy to repair scratches if the bow gets a knock. All that is needed is a soft cloth and some oil and wipe over the scratch.

I can make bows out of any wood as long as I can source it. I make one piece and take down recurves, longbows, deflex/reflex longbows and youth recurves and longbows.
Assorted Recurves.jpg
Assorted Recurves.jpg (149.65 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
Recurves.jpg
Recurves.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
I can also supply timber shafted arrows, crested in your choice of colours.
If you're in the market for a new bow, get in contact with me, you'll find my prices more than reasonable.
I can be contacted via this website or on my e-mail rangerbows@reachnet.com.au

Yours in all things traditional,

Stuart Wearne
Ranger Bows
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.