FLATLINE BOWS

Moderator: Moderators

Flatliner

FLATLINE BOWS

#1 Post by Flatliner » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am

Here's the info sheet on FLATLINE BOWS.

FLATLINE BOWS INFO SHEET

I currently have two basic take-down models available in various lengths (the MC series), a one piece re-curve/longbow hybrid in two lengths (the Flatliner), and a 58 inch one piece re-curve (the Raptor).

Take-down re-curves ;

MODEL ONE; “MC2" (which is my personal choice) is a sixty or sixty two inch take-down with a sixteen or eighteen inch riser, an eighteen degree deflex angle and has 3.25" limb planes that make the active limb length longer than the MC3, which makes it an extremely comfortable bow to draw and shoot. This bow does not stack making it an ideal bow for those with an extra long draw. Arrow speeds of 190 feet per second and above using carbon arrows that were 9 grains per pound of draw weight.

Basic MC2; Burdican Plumb riser with Tasi Black wood stripes, Black Wattle limbs.

Basic MC2; Blush tulip Oak riser and limbs, Silver Ash & Red Tulip Oak stripes with limb bolt overlays to match the riser.

Fully upgraded MC2; Red Tulip Oak Riser with Silver Ash stripes, Miva Mahogany/Conkerberry grip cheeks, Conkerberry/white phenolic limb bolt and knock tip overlays, Conkerberry string groove overlays with bow quiver and fishing reel inserts installed

MODEL TWO; “MC3" Available in sixty or sixty two inch lengths has an eighteen or twenty inch riser respectively with a seventeen degree deflex angle and 4" limb planes that make the active limb length shorter than the MC2. This bow is also very comfortable to draw and shoot; it is about two feet per second faster than the MC2 and doesn't begin to stack until a thirty one inch draw is reached. It is perhaps a little twitchier, but about 30 % of people that have shot both models prefer this model.

Basic MC3; Red/Blush Tulip Oak combination riser with Silver Ash/Miva Mahogany/clear glass stripe.

“The Flatliner". One piece hybrid re-curve/longbow; This bow is the first composite bow I designed and built and was created out of almost total ignorance. I guess I was just lucky because it is very sweet to shoot, amazingly quiet and only weighs around six hundred grams depending on which timbers are used. It is very long for a re-curve, (sixty six or sixty eight inch) has only a ten degree deflex angle and a relatively gentle re-curve but is narrow (thirty eight mm at the fades). It also has a small riser like a longbow although it has a pistol grip and is center shot. All Flatliners have a double taper Bamboo core. This bow is not as fast as the take-downs (speeds of 180 feet per second with a 9 grains per pound of draw weight arrow) but has a classic grace in its lines and performance that really appeals to the more traditional shooters.
(Sorry but I don't have 'basic' Flatliner photos available at the moment, try to imagine the bows below with a waving line of 3 or 5 lams of different timbers in your choice of colors instead of the leaf or mosaic)Image
Fully upgraded Flatliner;Silver Ash limbs, Hickory Ash riser, with Slvr Ash/PNG Walnut/Saffron Heart/Miva Mahogany mosaic.

Top of the line Flatliner; QLD Walnut limbs and riser, Silver Ash/Miva Mahogany/QLD Walnut Gum leaf and PNG Walnut/Silver Ash grip heel.

Information on the Raptor is in the next post

Available Timbers: (All Australian)

Tulip oak; colors range from light grey/brown through pink, dark brown to dark red and every combination between, spectacular grain a very attractive and popular timber.

Tasmanian Blackwood; color light to golden brown with streaks of dark brown and some times pinky brown.

QLD walnut; color grayish brown with streaks of chocolate brown, black and pink.

Black wattle; color golden brown with narrow bands of darker color and sometimes reddish streaks.

Burdican plum; color pink or reddish brown with streaks of light and dark brown.

Silver ash; color very pale yellow almost white very little feature.

Gidgee; color very dark chocolate brown with darker streaks, highly figured attractive timber, very dense/heavy.

Purple Gidgee; color a lighter version of the above but with exposer to light changes to a rich burgundy over time.

Rose She Oak; Orange-pinkish with very prominent ray pattern in dark red-brown.

Bamboo; color pale yellow or coffee or stained to your choice. (Only used in the limbs)

(The following timbers are not commercially available and must be harvested by hand, milled and seasoned by yours truly, so will affect the price according to its scarcity and difficulty to obtain.)

False Sandalwood; color light to dark coffee brown very fine texture and warm attractive grain. (Another little known beautiful Australian timber)

Beefwood; color dark reddish brown with prominent ray pattern typical of oak, if cut just off quarter cut the grain has a pattern that looks a little like corned beef hence the name. (Only used for risers and trims.)

Black Palm; color black streaks on a pale brown base, exceptional limb material, very rare, limited stock.

Conkerberry; color bright orange with streaks and bands in any combination of red, brown, olive, grey, yellow and white, it also has very white sap wood which is very hard and stable. This stunningly beautiful timber is extremely difficult to obtain, in fact has to be harvested by hand in very difficult country and straight pieces larger than two foot x three inches are extremely rare. So as a result of this it is used mostly for features such as string groove and limb bolt overlays, knock tips and features in the riser. (Though I have obtained a small quantity long enough for limb material, but the price would have to be negotiated.)

Other timbers are available on special request but will also affect the price.

All bows are available in weights from 40 pound to 70 pound with a 2 pound margin for error either side of the desired weight.

All bows come ready to shoot with a B 50 Dacron string, string silences, knock point, bear hair style arrow shelf and strike plate installed.

PRICES from 1/8/11 Excluding GST

All standard take downs; $1,400.00

Standard Flatliner; $950.00

Standard Raptor; $1,000.00

Extra feature timber work and designs are available on request, prices to be negotiated prior to ordering.

Inserts; for bow quivers and sites; $50.00 per set

Inserts; for bow fishing reels; $60.00 each

How long before I get my bow? At the moment, around three to four months.

Contact details: Ph 07 40561278.
Mob; 0414654511.
Email; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
Postal address;
5 Baker street
Gordonvale
NTH Queensland
Australia 4865
www.flatlinebows.com.au
Last edited by Flatliner on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flatliner

Re: FLATLINE BOWS

#2 Post by Flatliner » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Well here it is, it spent a long time on the drawing board and took a bit of effort in the shed but I’m very pleased with the result.
I call the design the Flatline “Raptor”, its 58 inches long, has the same limb profile as my MC2&3 take-downs but is only 39mm wide at the fades. The riser is still 45mm wide to retain strength enough for higher poundage bows.

This particular bow (the first out of the form) is 48 # @ 28”. The riser is Purple Gidgee and a bit of River She Oak I picked up on the basalt wall when chasing the chital around last year. The limbs are Red Tulip Oak on the back and False Sandalwood on the belly with a Bamboo core. The wedges are Silver Ash and are machined and fitted to the riser block before the lay-up (which does make the bow a little difficult to build).

The performance stats are very impressive for such a short light weight bow, arrow speeds of 192-197 FPS using a Dacron string with silences and carbon arrows of 9 grains per pound of draw weight. As the draw force curve shows it doesn’t begin to stack until about a 30 ½ “ draw is reached. That beautiful Flatline let-off feel to the draw, very little hand shock and consistently accurate groups makes for a great little bow, I’m stoked.
Raptor.jpg
Raptor.jpg (81.17 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
SDC11723.JPG
SDC11723.JPG (60.15 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
SDC11741.JPG
SDC11741.JPG (50.39 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
SDC11726.JPG
SDC11726.JPG (50.47 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
SDC11729.JPG
SDC11729.JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
SDC11732.JPG
SDC11732.JPG (75.44 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
SDC11746.JPG
SDC11746.JPG (63.29 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
SDC11750.JPG
SDC11750.JPG (97.55 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Red Tulip Oak.
SDC11754.JPG
SDC11754.JPG (47.5 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
False Sandalwood
SDC11756.JPG
SDC11756.JPG (41.54 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Rob.
Last edited by Flatliner on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Truly beautiful and very impressive performance values as well.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Man I gotta get me one of these!! :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

JoeLethbridge

#5 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Nice bows Rob. I can remember shooting a couple of them :mrgreen: Nearly finished a damson bow. :biggrin:

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Good to see these up again Rob. Just reminds me just how good your work is. Love that purple gidgee.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hazard

#7 Post by hazard » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:11 am

bigbob wrote:Love that purple gidgee.
Me too!! :mrgreen:

I shoot it regularly, which reminds me I should be out there now! :roll:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Buranurra

#8 Post by Buranurra » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:00 am

I am pretty sure that bow in your avatar belongs to a friend of mine! Very nice indeed.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Flatliner

#9 Post by Flatliner » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks guy's,
Good to see you on here Joe, the Ozbow croud are a great mob and a gold mine of information. You could consider posting some photos of your selfbows and primative arrows which are a credit to you given your years, and the people hear would admire your passion and enthusiasm.

That would be Chris's /(silverstringer) bow "Austral Dreaming", Buranurra.

Got some pics and a bit of a tail to tell about the adventures of the Raptor, Which I will post in the Hunting thread if my stupid computer holds out that long,,,,,,having technical dificulties.

Cheers, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

Buranurra

#10 Post by Buranurra » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:57 pm

Yep, that is Chris's bow. A work of art for sure.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28