How to make a Hobo Stove

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

How to make a Hobo Stove

#1 Post by perry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:21 pm

I made this Camp Stove from a 2 litre cooking oil can . It boiled the Coffee pot in about 4 minutes and used a handfull of scrap pine and some kindling and it cooks very well with a frypan on top . These Hobo Stoves are super easy to make and very efficient , I was amazed at how hot it burned . You would need to use a difuser if you wanted to simmer something .
HoboStove[1].jpg
HoboStove[1].jpg (99.69 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Here's a link on how to make the Hobo Stove http://www.instructables.com/id/Hobo-St ... h-Tech-Ca/ and a lot of other gear .

I will be making one from heavier gauge 5" dia tube about 8" tall set on some legs so I can cook on a table top shortly . They also burn very well when using an Alcohol stove placed inside of them .

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

outbackarcher
Site Admin

Re: How to make a Hobo Stove

#2 Post by outbackarcher » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm

thanks for that, i have made a few and i tried my old sutagen can one (they are made of cardboard now) and it worked quite well, what do you guys think of one of these in the hiking/hunting pack?

lewis otto
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:14 pm

outbackarcher I have one of these folding stoves. Works great with wood, pine cones etc. I have even used a metho burner in mine to great effect. This particular model is a bit tinny but a clever fella cxould make his own from scrap and a few hinges. Only trouble with this type of stove is they do get sooty. The fact you don't have to carry fuel with you is a plus though.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/fopocost.html

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

outbackarcher
Site Admin

#4 Post by outbackarcher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:12 pm

that looks the goods for a pack, is that an aussie site?

lewis otto
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.

perry

#5 Post by perry » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Sorry mate it's a Yank site, postage will be more than the cost of the stove. You could make yourself one out of a coffee tin or similar, sew up a bag from an old cut off jeans leg or something and carry it outside your pack. Costs nothing but time.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Not even game to ask what you Hobos use for designer coffee. Good tip mate.
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"