Stove tests

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jindydiver

Stove tests

#1 Post by jindydiver » Wed May 27, 2009 8:56 pm

There has been a lot of interest lately in stoves for backpack trips and I thought that since I own a few different models I would write something about them. I have my own preferences and they change with my mood a bit so I decided I would do a side by side test to put some raw info beside my thoughts.

The stoves I am testing…
Optimus Crux (folding model)
MSR Whisper lite (original model, perhaps 20 years old)
Trangia 27 (non stick model)
Jetboil personal cooker

I tested boil times with each unit and measured the amount of fuel (in weight) each unit used to boil 500ml of water from 12 degrees. The MSR needs priming to get started and the fuel used in priming is included in the figure for fuel used. I also tested the Optimus and MSR stoves with both a new alloy billy and a Trangia pot. This showed a great deal of difference in boil times.

Start with the Crux.
It is a very compact unit and with a small gas canister it will fit in the small alloy billy. With the larger fuel can it will still fit in the Trangia pot. The unit is a bit wobbly (due to it’s folding parts) but never really felt unsafe. It would be less likely to tip over using the larger fuel can, but the small fuel can is no big deal.
To boil 500ml of water in the alloy billy took 3:15 and used 10 grams of fuel.
To boil 500ml of water in the Trangia pot took 2:35 and used 8 grams of fuel.

One 100gram net fuel can would feed two for a w/e (I assume a cup of coffee at breakfast, one at dinner and a dinner, 4 boils per day).

The Trangia
The trangia was started from cold.
To boil 500ml of water it took 11 minutes and used 13 grams of fuel.
The downfall of the Trangia (and all liquid fuel stoves) is the possibility of large open flames. Extra care must be taken to be sure the stove is stable, if the fuel spills while lit the dangers are obvious.
The Trangia has a large footprint and is the most stable cooker of all those tested.
A 500ml bottle of fuel will last maybe 4 to 5 days (for 2 people).

The MSR Whisperlite.
The MSR must be primed before use. This involves letting a small amount of fuel out through the valve and lighting the loose fuel in the little tray where it collects. You can also use some sort of gell if you like. As it heats the fuel in the line more fuel is forced out and catches fire. Care must be taken to not have too much fuel to begin with or flames can get quickly out of control. It is a good plan to practice using this stove at home before a trip.

To boil 500ml of water in the alloy billy took 4:10 and used 12 grams of fuel.

To boil 500ml of water in the Trangia pot took 2:49 and I couldn’t measure the fuel because of an accident.
Like I mentioned already, the liquid fuel stoves present special dangers and I was reminded in a big way about one of them today. I had replaced the fuel bottle O-ring yesterday and I was less than attentive when fitting it and didn’t realise it was a pooteenth too big for the job. As I was turning off the unit after boiling water in the Trangia pot the O-ring bulged and fuel under pressure started squirting out the side of the pump-bottle join (and naturally straight at the flame so it would catch on fire :roll: :) ). I was doing the test on the sink and so I was able to grab the unit and sweep it into the basin and prop the bottle upright. There was some good flame happening, it was shooting out the side for about 2 feet. If this happened while out in the scrub, and it caught the tent of your fleece cloths it would be a disaster and possibly life threatening. The lesson is to be sure your gear is in top nick before taking on your walk.
A 500ml bottle of fuel contains over 370grams of fuel, enough to do a week (5 maybe 6 days) away cooking for 2

The Jetboil
The Jetboil is a great unit and although it can be used with any pot you like it is designed to do it’s best work with the purpose built cup that comes with the unit.
To boil 500ml of water in the Jetboil personal cup took 5:13 and used 5 grams of fuel.
I didn’t believe this fuel figure so I ran the machine twice more for the same time and got the same fuel use figure.
The small Jetboil fuel can has 100g of fuel in it so I figure you can get over 15 boils out of it, more than enough for a couple of guys over a long w/e.

Anyway
I hope this helps someone
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

piggy

Re: Stove tests

#2 Post by piggy » Wed May 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Fantastic post Jindy a great job.
I have been looking into getting a new portable cooker and was looking at the jetboil so this has helped heaps.

Cheers Mate

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Wed May 27, 2009 11:15 pm

A good review thanks Jindy, The Trangia Non stick, does that have a teflon coating?
Speed of cooking for that first coffee of the day is important for me :D secondly economy of fuel and weight then safety.
I will re read the review in the morning :) . Thanks again Steve

stringnstik

#4 Post by stringnstik » Thu May 28, 2009 7:50 am

great post, thanks for the effort and putting yourself in the line of fire :)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

jindydiver

#5 Post by jindydiver » Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 am

Steve
The Trangia is teflon coated. One big drawback with the teflon coating is that it is on the outside as well. Years ago down in the Southwest Wilderness of Tasmania this became a real issue when we were stuck on a tussock covered knoll for 3 days waiting for the water to go down and there was no such thing as a flat surface in our camp. The pot, with food for 3 blokes, slid off the MSR and into the tussock. Instantly we were down a days dinner :( Other pots are less slippery but still care must be taken to keep the stove level. A useful modification to the MSR would be to put some burs on the wire pot supports so they were less slippery.
The teflon frypan is great. We used to do lots of wilderness fishing trips and fresh trout for breakfast is a special bonus for putting in the miles :)
They make a really posh pot set now that is stainless steel with an aluminum alloy bottom (like those expensive bonded metals kitchen pans). If I was going to replace the pots I think I would go for that SS model next time.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Thu May 28, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks Mick, The SS set sounds like the go. Losing your meal when faced with being stranded somwhere would be upsetting. Thanks for the advice on the Whisperlite modification. Steve :)

DylanK

#7 Post by DylanK » Thu May 28, 2009 7:01 pm

Would you mind posting some prices for the units and the gas cannisters?

Cheers,

(I still think a hobo stove is the way to go, only prob is the charcoal thats left on the bottom of everything :D )

Dylan

jindydiver

#8 Post by jindydiver » Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Prices vary greatly from shop to shop, and from model to model, a google search is your best bet :)
Mick

Abraham Lincoln