Trangia, Jet Boil other light weight cooking options

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Trangia, Jet Boil other light weight cooking options

#1 Post by longbow steve » Fri May 22, 2009 11:55 am

Gearing up for some treking/camping and looking for opinions and ideas for cooking and whether i am better off with the white spirit or gas cookers. Happy to discuss any other gear and food that you recomend. Thanks Steve

gundy

Re: Trangia, Jet Boil other light weight cooking options

#2 Post by gundy » Fri May 22, 2009 12:20 pm

Great post! I have just started to look into this as well... :)

TEX

#3 Post by TEX » Fri May 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Steve
I have an almost un used triangie.
I stopped using because I was told alloy pots give you Alzheimer's and my brain is, well you know how it is.
It works on metho.
Don't buy anything yet.

TEX

#4 Post by TEX » Fri May 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Don't say anything. No my brain doesn't use metho the stove does.

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Fri May 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi Mark, I just did a bit of research and there is studies/results both ways regarding Alzheimers and alluminium but having said that we too got rid of our alluminum cooking utensils because of that.
Worth considering.
I do use an alluminum billy and drink out of cans though :?: steve

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri May 22, 2009 1:26 pm

I've used a little single burner Primos stove for many years. It takes the disposable butane cans. It's just a simple little burner about 4 inches square that screws directly to the top of the can. You can buy the butane cans in all different sizes. I have the large ones that I take when I'm camping near the car and I've got some very small lightweight refils that I use when I have to carry them. The disposable butane cans are available at all camping shops and they're not that expensive.

I'm not saying it's the best possible arrangement, but I've used mine very successfully for around 15 years, so I can't complain. It's very lightweight.

The thing I like about my stove is the fact that there's nothing to spill. It's easy to tell when the butan cans are getting low, so you're not likely to run out of gas. Mine burns very efficiently and it takes no time to boil enough water for a cuppa.

I've also got aluminium pots, etc that I use with it. but the best accessory that I have is a lightweight folding aluminium wind shield that fits around the stove in windy conditions.

I've often thought about buying myself something that might be better, but I can't see that anything would be much more effective in the field anyway, so I haven't bothered.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

clinton miller

#7 Post by clinton miller » Fri May 22, 2009 3:15 pm

i'm going to buy a MSR whisperlite soon.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Fri May 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks Mick and Clinton, The Whisper light looks good, it says it runs on white gas? Steve

g_r

#9 Post by g_r » Fri May 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Ive tried the Trangia, the MSR Wisper4lite and a bunch of gas-burners. But now i found the ultimate solution, the Primus ETA-Power for Gsaoline. Its samll when packed, has more power then needed, needs nearly no fuel (0,35 l last me 1 1/2 weeks (three meals aday), the pots are included and with a non-stick coating and its absolute reliable. OK, the price maybe a disadvantage but its definately worth it. I will try to post some pics.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Fri May 22, 2009 5:22 pm

HI Steve< I have a MSR WhisperLite Internationale tm 600 Stove< surplus to my requirements, you pay the postage fees, it's yours. I have all the instructions etc that you need. PM if your interested. Cheers Roadie.

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Fri May 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Very generous Roadie, I will send a pm. Steve

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Fri May 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Roadie wrote:HI Steve< I have a MSR WhisperLite Internationale tm 600 Stove< surplus to my requirements, you pay the postage fees, it's yours. I have all the instructions etc that you need. PM if your interested. Cheers Roadie.
Now that is a very generous offer :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

DylanK

#13 Post by DylanK » Sun May 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Hobo stove... :lol:

Dylan

alaninoz

#14 Post by alaninoz » Sun May 24, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm a fan of the metho stoves. Butane doesn't go well when its cold, and metho doesn't stink up your gear if a bit spills - the smell of kero or petrol in my clothes or sleeping bag doesn't do much for me. Used a metho stove (Trangia) for a week camping in the snow and it worked well. The aluminium pots might be a problem, but you can always use something else.
Alan

longbow steve

#15 Post by longbow steve » Sun May 24, 2009 5:15 pm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yo ... Stove.aspx
Is that what you mean Dylan? I like it :) .
Thats a good point Allan, I hate the smell of petrol. Steve

Roadie

#16 Post by Roadie » Sun May 24, 2009 5:59 pm

HI Steve, do you still want me to send the whisperlite, it uses all types of fuel, but I mainly use white spirits very little smell. Cheers Roadie.

longbow steve

#17 Post by longbow steve » Sun May 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Yes please Roadie :) . Thanks

DylanK

#18 Post by DylanK » Sun May 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Yeah somin like that longbow steve but I used a 1ltr tomato tin, works suprizingly good, very efficient with wood.

Dylan

pedro

#19 Post by pedro » Mon May 25, 2009 12:22 am

jet boil all the way..i been using one now for two seasons...best there is..

longbow steve

#20 Post by longbow steve » Mon May 25, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks Pedro, I read on another site a fella used his one gas cylinder for a week on a remote trek, are they that economical? Have you had any trouble getting it going on the cold mornings as raised in an above thread. What are the pots made from? Steve

pedro

#21 Post by pedro » Tue May 26, 2009 1:53 am

steve im not ure what the pots are made from..some sorta alloy.. very light indeed and extra good on fuel...not sure on extra cold starts like snow capped peaks and such but ive used mine in the dead of winter in the mountains in nsw and never missed a beat...not sure what prob would arise..hve a look on thier website..i must say i luv mine, all i take is the jet boil and a plastic sfork for a week...the botom cover is big enough for a decent coffee. i just eat outa dehydrated packets..did i say i luv mine.

longbow steve

#22 Post by longbow steve » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 am

Hi Pedro, The mountains are enough of a test, The butane cookers you get from Kmart etc freeze during use in weather 5 degrees and lower especially if you leave them out over night. Maybe the design of the Jetboil keeps the cylinder warm and prevents this. Thanks for your info. Steve
Ps Whats your favourite dehydrated meal? Do they do a curry? :) . Steve

pedro

#23 Post by pedro » Tue May 26, 2009 1:19 pm

steve, i would say it was below 5 deg and it worked ok, no probs...my fav meals would be lesagnia and beef stroganouf. they do make curry's but steer clear of the asian curry. its uneatable, i gave mine to the buzzards. :lol:

Paul

#24 Post by Paul » Tue May 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Steve the Jetboil jetpower fuel canisters are a propane / isobutane mix (I can't remember the ratio) and are rated for 4 season use.
Propane provides higher vapor pressure to the fuel for better performance in cold weather. Iso-butane provides more constant pressure as the fuel level gets low.
I'm pretty sure I read some info given to me by a sales rep a while ago that rated the jetpower fuel canisters down to -15 with no loss in performance, but they will still work lower than that they just start to lose performance.

Butane has a boiling point of 0 degrees celcius so below 0 and the liquid will not convert to gas. This is the reason why the butane canister stoves won't work below 0 degrees and also why they lose performance the closer they get to zero.
It's all about the journey.

longbow steve

#25 Post by longbow steve » Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 am

Good info thanks Paul :) . Steve

stringnstik

#26 Post by stringnstik » Thu May 28, 2009 7:55 am

I only have a tranjia. I do believe since then, that Denali have brought out a copy about half the price. I dont know how good they are compared. One of the reasons I went for a tranjia those years ago was because I wasnt sure how easy it would be to "pickup" a spare gas cylinder should I find myself short on a trip. Not really a consideration to be honest. I have as yet not had any spills or leaks but im forever in fear of such. I dont think I ever even saw the jetboil at the time of purchase, but it looks good. One thing I must say for the tranjia is that Ive never burnt food with it.. Its weird. Dont think its fierce enough to :lol It may take longer but suits me. Im never in a hurry when out bush.

I also might add here that those vacume sealer thingos are magic. First night out is always stew. Vacumed into a plastic bag. Water in pot, tea towel (or some way to keep the plastic off the sides of the pot) bag in, and boil. You have hot water for a cuppa and hot stew... ooh if your into coffee drinking you will have to buy a coffee towel :lol
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Nephew

#27 Post by Nephew » Fri May 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Way back in the eighties when I first heard of the connection between aluminium cooking pots and Alzhiemers I went out and bought my evil step-mother a whole set! I didn't live with her any more, so I wasn't going to eat out of 'em. :twisted: The woman had no notion of what I was saying with this "gift"! She actually thanked me and thought it generous! :roll: ( kinda backfired on me, didn't it? :) ) Of course, you change with life over the years and I would NEVER do such a thing to her now. After all, I'm not a young single man any more, I couldn't afford to give away a set of pots and pans these days! :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

TEX

#28 Post by TEX » Fri May 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Steve I found the triangia.
I have used it but it's in good condition. Let me know if you still want it.
Reg Tex

longbow steve

#29 Post by longbow steve » Fri May 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Hey Mark, I would like to try it :) . The MSR stove Roadie sent me arrived today and looks great, I cant wait to give it a whirl. Steve

clinton miller

#30 Post by clinton miller » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:35 am

just bought myself an MSR whisperlite internationale. seems to be exactly what i want. burns REAL hot! much more versatile in that it can burn a variety of fuels. i've never been a fan of canister stoves, even though they work well, simply because you have to buy canisters. when your in the middle of nowhere camping for a few weeks or a month you can't duck down to the camping shop for more cans, you have to carry spares with you. if i'm going to carry extra fuel it'll be for the ute, might as well be able to use it for the stove as well. everything needs to have two uses. for the price of a canister in fuel i can boil a lot of water.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string