When is Camo Essential and When Not?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

When is Camo Essential and When Not?

#1 Post by erron » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:01 pm

Is it advisable to always wear the stuff when hunting, or can you get away with just about anything in some situations?

Erron

Bullwinkle

#2 Post by Bullwinkle » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:49 pm

I have found on pigs if you move when your supposed to you could wear one of those bright orange council shirts and it wouldn't be a problem, they pick up movement exceptionally quick though ( I wear camo because there is always the chance of a wild dog or cat). On other species I wear it, mainly advantage camo or something similar (Am getting a ASAT suit though). One animal that should never be underestimated in the eyesite department is the old scrubber, cattle will pick you up a long way back. The obvious one is just about always on Deer. Thats mho and I am sure that the blokes on here will give there opinion too.

TRASH

#3 Post by TRASH » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:10 am

Im with you bullwinkle, camo up if it makes you feel sneaky but for me it makes me feel like a dick. By the way i prefer the fluro orange shirt with the refelctive strips for those low light situations.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

dave g

when is camo essential & when not

#4 Post by dave g » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:49 pm

Now fellows you may think I am bias about camo ( seeing as I make the stuff ) but if HUNTING & I mean HUNTING is your thing, then camo is the go. Since venturing deep into the abiss of camouflages I have had so many fantastic experiences mainly because you can approach ( or let the game approach ) so closely... I mean eye to eye, listen to the blades of grass snap as the wee beasty nips them off, it's awesome!!! I was in Victoria a few weeks ago & howled up a dingo, it was my first try at howling so I had no idea what was going to happen. Anyhow this dog nearly ran me down, he came in so quick. I was standing in between 2 large gums in full view & at 20 feet he could not see me. He then proceeded for approx 20 minutes to howl for me..... it was early & the steamy breath flowed from his mouth as he threw his head back & let go..... I mean come on guys who wouldn't want that to happen to them...so close!!!! It happens all the time if you wear the right gear :) Like I said if you like to hunt & get close.... all you guys must want to get in close..... camo is a must. Other things come into account as well, but a BIG one is in what you wear. I have been tramping the hills since I was a wee laddy & I get great satisfaction out of the challenge of creeping in on a wily old boar or stag or even dog & getting CLOSE!!! I most often don't take a shot, it's in the challenge & what you see & hear when you get there.
My last word...... if you want to get in close CAMO UP :!: :!: :!: :!:

erron

#5 Post by erron » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:20 pm

Heh Heh, this one was a bit of a Dorothy Dixer for you, eh Dave? :D

Thanks for the post; I'm sold. Now I just have to get the dollars together to invest in some. :roll:

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:47 pm

No camo for me - hate the look of the stuff!

My checked shirt, RM Jeans and Akubra hat has served me well in the past and I'm sure it will do me just fine in the future.

You can wear all the camo you want, but if you don't keep your movement and noise to a minimum and stay down wind of your game it's all over - the stalk that is.

Jeff

vegie

#7 Post by vegie » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:54 am

Well just be different I am going to agree with everybody, how is that for fence sitting. Some animals like pigs camo is not needed but others like deer or for whistling in foxes I think it is very useful and certainly greatly increases your chances. I agree with Jeff, camo alone does not work. You still need to limit your movements and keep the wind in your face and move slowly.

I use camo for hunting either ASAT or predator patterns and have had great sucess with both patterns with many very close encounters with game animals. I do not like the small detailed busy patterns that prevail from the States. I like the big open patterned stuff and think it really works.

When I hunt I wear camo, driving out and back from the hunt (like back to camp) I take it off. I never wear camo when I am not hunting. Two reasons firstly I agree with trash, I feel stupid wearing the stuff, secondly it prevents stinking the camo up with human smells, cooking smells, fuel smells, smoke things like that. I know Fred Bear hung his hunting gear in the smoke of a campfire to help hide his scent, but i still do not like stinking my camo up.

My idea of the purpose of camo is to break up you human outline or shape, if this means you wear an old checked shirt or the latest and greatest stuff from the USA it does not really matter. A lot of Sambar hunters wear trackie dacks and a swannie (woolen checked shirt) and Sambar are the smartest animal in the australian bush.

Looks dumb but I got caught out on a hill side one day and about 20 deer fed past me within about 15 metres and never saw me. It was just me in my ASAT gear and about knee high grass, it was like I was not even there. The stuff works and defenitely has a role when hunting, but no where else.

Griffo

#8 Post by Griffo » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:30 pm

I agree with Dave on this one. Gettin close is the buzz for me and I think that camo is the go for it...but...I personally wear camo for when I get spotted first. It's when this happens that I'm glad I go to the trouble to gear up each time I hunt. Let's face it...with practise it's not that hard to sneak up on an animal that has no idea you are there...but when for some reason your prey is on alert, I believe camo helps a great deal.

MHO...

Griffo.

#9 Post by Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:29 am

When is camo essential and when not?
In my opinion, camo as we know it (modern camo) is not essential. There are times when it definitely helps, (then so would a rifle :D )and many more times when it is not the deciding factor in success or not.

Believe it or not I am not anti camo - used to be. Actually I was more and still am, anti the image and more so the commercial push that goes with it. You know the "if you want to be serious you should get this" attitude that you see in mags and get from some shops.

Though I now wear a modified 3 D shirt on deer most times, it is not essential. It is more as much an "old favourite" shirt to hunt in as a shirt that might help sometimes.

A fella that never moves at the wrong time and wears broken outline, earthy colours will have more venison in his freezer that someone with camo but without the required amount of skill.

Once again, these are just my opinions gained from my limited experience. A whole lot to learn yet.

Gotta disagree with your above comment Griffo... "Let's face it...with practise it's not that hard to sneak up on an animal that has no idea you are there..." I fail many a stalk on an animal that didn't know that I was there when I started the stalk!

Got lucky again a couple of days ago (in my high tec camo) on a nice fat spiker for the freezer. :wink:

Mark K.
Attachments
My spiker em.jpg
My spiker em.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 4746 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:31 am

Mark,

Another fine shot of your usual smiling face hey? :lol:

Griffo,

I also agree with Mark regarding your comment above. Wild animals aren't stupid and most times keep a good eye and ear out for anything out of the normal. They may be feeding or appear to be at ease but they are most times very alert and that is the reason many a stalk is blown - blown because a seeming distracted animal caught a glimps of your movement or heard you etc.

Something I can't explain so please don't ask me to is - some animals just seem to sense danger also! They get jumpy or run off for no apparent reason as I don't believe they have seen, heard or smelled me. Have any of you ever had this happen when hunting?

Maybe it's something like when we sometimes sense someone is watching us and it makes us feel uneasy - I don't know. All these things make bowhunting the challenge that it is IMO.

Jeff

dave g

#11 Post by dave g » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:44 pm

Stickbow, after 35 years of creeping around the hills, most definately those critters we persue have a in built warning system. Much like a gun dog is born with the ability to point or cast for birds without any teaching at all, our game animals from their first breath are on the alert for something ( or someone ) that wants to eat them & are therefore gifted with that "sixth sence" that helps them stay alive, mind you you can sometimes get past it & bag the little devil but many a hunter has been left in bewilderment as that prize bursts for cover with seemingly no provication. If they all stood there & let themselves be slaughtered we would all be staying at home on the weekends & playing cards :cry: :cry: :cry: & would have been doing that for a very, very long time. Nature IS a wonderful thing :!:
I do find it funny that quite a few of you are against camo. Is it because of Rambo & his image? There is nothing Military about wearing a camo while hunting. It is aimed at improving you hunting skills by enabling the wearer to move around the bush & move closer to your quarry & be undetected, which if you can get within 15 feet of a deer you have to be doing everything right & to get to that stage you must have honed your skills on the way, you don't just walk up to a mature animal :!: & as you guys are throwing sticks at them ( ok sharp sticks ) you NEED to get in close to make sure of a clean kill..... I am sure if you averaged out the amount of successful up close & personal encounters with or without camo, the camouflaged hunter would have a greater success ratio... yes, yes it is my opinion but I speak only from real experiences.... I have not always worn camo you know :!: :!: It's all a very mind enriching experience, whatever your choices lets make sure we can enjoy or chosen sport for many years to come. :D

Griffo

#12 Post by Griffo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:20 pm

Ok..."easy" may not have been exactly the word of choice, but my point was, that if you are a practised and skilled stalker and the animal has not seen, heard, smelt, tasted, touched (to be picky) you, OR used the phantom sixth sense we all hate so much to bust you first then you don't need camo. You are good enough without it. But as I said in my post I use it mostly for when I'm busted first.

Yes we will still stuff up a stalk when all was in our favour to begin with...and by practised and skilled I am talking about years and years and years and YEARS of practise.

Let's face it, an animal's eyes (with maybe the exception of the pig) are far better than ours so it's not stupid to expect to be "outgunned" in the 'spotting' factor of bowhunting.
We've all been busted by an animal that spotted us before we spotted them and it's my opinion that in these cases, camo helps us to 'not get spotted so easily'.
I am by no means saying that it makes us invisible, or that it's a miracle product. I am simply that I believe it helps. I have had encounters that to me have PROVEN to me that camo works...I'm a believer and that's my choice, each to their own. I am not trying to convince anyone, just putting my point forward.

But think of this, if camo didn't work, why would armed forces throughout the world spend millions on it? Because their lives depend on it, simple. A little different to the average bowhunter. So it surely must do something to help conceal us.

Griffo 8)

#13 Post by Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:05 pm

G'day jef, I never seem to get the look to match the feeling in those sort of photos! Though that particular look was probably more a result of the gut-slogging job I had just finished packing the 100 odd pounds of meat out of one of the shittiest, steepest gullies on that block on one of the warmest and most humid mornings for a while.

Dave
We will have to agree to differ or this will go on to bore people for some time, as I take accept ion to some of your comments above....
"My last word...... if you want to get in close CAMO UP"
"It is aimed at improving you hunting skills"

Camo will assist you in some situations, no question, but believe me it is possible to get in close without it. My first deer... taken with a selfbow at a measured 6 paces, camo? a checked shirt. Ad to that many amazing encounters with deer over the a lifetime of hunting them. As I said above, still heaps to learn though, the day you reckon you have learned it all you need to let go of yourself.

Aimed at improving your skills? That’s exactly the angle I take exception to.
It will do nothing to your skills, it will at times increase your chances of success, sure, but they are two different things. Acknowledged and treated as such camo has its place, as I said, I use it myself.

The entire camo topic is an interesting one and brings out some conflicting views, it just, in my view, needs some balance.
Your angle on the military side of it Gruffo, is worth exploring. Though I don't know if it is right to presume that what fools the human eye is automatically what’s right for animals.

I am a life long wildlife fan and find so much to be learned by watching predators in action. Simple earthy, natural colouring, secondary to when, how and where they move.

Good topic.

Mark K.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griffo

#14 Post by Griffo » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:45 pm

Your angle on the military side of it Gruffo, is worth exploring. Though I don't know if it is right to presume that what fools the human eye is automatically what’s right for animals
I agree Mark, what fools the human eye will not necessarily fool the animal eye...I was merely using the fact that soldiers rely on camo for their lives...just ask Al...so surely it must do something to help us avoid detection from the animals we hunt :wink:

Griffo :D

trash one

#15 Post by trash one » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:59 pm

There has been some work being done in the Isa on a new camo it is being developed buy Greg and Strowy the colour is alittle different pink and grey they have got shirts tank tops pants shoes and kilts, it was bit strange the first time I saw them hunting in the kilts.

They have sent a set down to stickbowhunter [Jeff] to do a product review on them, can't wait for that maybe cold put a photo in. The new gear is called G A L A H great at letting amateurs hide,come on Jeff put your kilt on and give us a review.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

erron

#16 Post by erron » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:00 pm

Butch,

love the name - GALAH - but I'm not sure it would be all that 'great' at hiding you. :shock:

Some of the 'boys' down St. Kilda would sure think it great, though :wink:

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:11 pm

Some of the 'boys' down St. Kilda would sure think it great, though
I think your right Erron. :lol: :D

Butcho,

After seeing the real deal there aint no way known, Zip, Nil, Never that I will ever put that stuff on. :shock:

All I can say is that Strowy and Hovi have no shame!!!

Have attached a photo of 'Hot Lips' Hovi wearin the stuff so people can understand my reluctance of ever wearing it.

I reckon that boar was either blind or maybe he was attracted to Ol' Hovi. Hey, that maybe the secret attraction to wearin the stuff!

Galah Camo- yep that about sums it and its wearers up I guess. :lol:
Attachments
Galah Camo.jpg
Galah Camo.jpg (91.31 KiB) Viewed 4694 times

MICC

#18 Post by MICC » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:52 pm

Thank you Butch, thank you Jeff, hey fellas beware the hidden bowhunter.
Next time you see a flock of Galah's get ready to duck.
What a shock it was to return to our clubhouse today after a very hot ABA round and see the galah cam photo for the first time stuck on the bloody wall at the bar..... I'll never, ever trust a Trashie again.
But this may have backfired on you both cos Mick and I are considering changing our names to McStrowie and McHovi.
We think this kilt thing might be a help in the sweaty crotch and chaffing problems we get in this hot and humid weather.
Thanks again fellas.
MICC