Info requested

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

waterone

Info requested

#1 Post by waterone » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:05 pm

Greetings from a frequent looker, from North Carolina, USA.

I have a question about an Australian camping product. THis is the Roman brand sleeping bags, specifically the ultralight Palm models. Their website shows them being the lightest and smallest (packed) sleeping bag in the world.

Right now, I use a US Army Poncho Liner as an emergency (really unplanned) sleeping gear to be carried in the field.

All ways looking for better gear.

What do you all know about this manufacturer and these items?

Chuck

Waterone

erron

#2 Post by erron » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:31 pm

Sorry I can't help you on that waterone, but I did want to welcome you to Ozbow! :)

cheers,

Erron

woody

Info Requested

#3 Post by woody » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:53 pm

Roman sleeping bag. I looked at them when checking out gear for a backpack hunt. They are amazing how light and compact they are but I wouldnt trust em for warmth on a frosty night. I went for a down bag with a waterproof outer. VERY EXPENSIVE, but you get what you pay for. The down bag was not as compact, but still very light. Hope this helps.

ozlongbow

#4 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:57 am

Chuck
As Erron said, welcome aboard. Can I ask where in NC you are? Spent a little time there in 2003.
Lindsay
PS Go the Panthers!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

TRASH

#5 Post by TRASH » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:03 am

Gday waterone

I looked into the palm sleeping bag at one stage as compared to the
digit sleeping bag but neither, i don't think it had a zipper which can be a real pain. Both were rated at about 5 > 10 degree's i think. i ended up going for one a little more up market which was the super mini which had a zipper and was rated at about 0 > 5 degree,s . To cut a long story short on our last hunt it was a cold night and i dressed in all the warm clothes i had and still froze it was actually warmer to open the zipper and place the feet in the bottom and leave the bag loose on top of me .I think with the smaller bags when they are snug fit around your shoulders they loose there efficiency sort of like they need an air gap to help keep you warm t dont know maybe some sleeping bag guru might be able to tell us ????.I f i didnt have the zipper i would have had a tougher time of it. Our temps at night can drop down to arround 0 but there was no wind and i was under a hutchie so i now take the temp rateings fairly scepticallly . er.I ended up
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

erron

#6 Post by erron » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:40 am

The air gap theory sounds right Trash, given that the reason wool is so warm is because of the air bubbles it traps in it’s structure.

Erron

snakeeater

Fan of poncho liners

#7 Post by snakeeater » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:04 am

I too am a fan of the army poncho liners. You might want to add the poncho to your emergency kit as well. I found that the poncho helps to keep the warm air trapped. You essentially are making a sleeping bag with a poncho outer shell and a liner inner shell for the insulation. You can also use two of them with one poncho.

If bulk is your concern you might want to check out Brigade Quartermasters, www.actiongear.com. They have a thinsulate poncho liner that is supposed to be twice as warm than the regular poncho liner and compresses to half the size.

Here is the URL to the page with thinsulate poncho liner...

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame. ... ults%2Etam

Snakeeater

waterone

#8 Post by waterone » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:10 am

Lindsay;

I am in eastern NC, the City of New Bern to be exact, it is about 30 miles from the coast. I have moved all over NC, due to job opportunities, Lived in Raleigh, Winston-Salem and the Charlotte area among others.

And based upon happened yesterday, the Panthers will be going to the NFC Championship. Just out of curiousity do you get American Football via sattelite ther in OZ?

I have not been able to visit OZ yet, but will someday, God willing. My brother gets to travel all around the world and visited OZ last year and loved it. Makes me want to come even more. To be honest with you one of the things that really calls to me is the low population outside of the major cities. Then again you do have Steve Irwin.. :shock: But, I did get to watch Harry Butler on TV some years agoa nd I though he was cool - carried a double-barrelled shotgun on film to kill feral cats - don;t see others doing that.

To get back to the subject. One of the reasons I was interested in the extreme small size of the Roman Palm series is that they seem to pak up so, so small.

All in all the US Army Poncho Liner is real bulky for what you get. I am no so intersted in planned overnighters or longer, but those unplanned overnighters when I want to have something small and reasonably cool weather, not cold, not near freezing. Right now in the woods I carry a Camelbak HAWG, which doesn't hold a lot of gear do something small would be nice. As the climate in the spring and fall are pretty mild here in eastern NC I am also looking at a Hennesy Hammock to keep me out of the swamps and keep the mosquitos off of me (with some modifications) The Hennesy can wrap up into a small package and with a small sleeping bag and some grub, I can wind up not carrying much stuff at all.

Any other ideas will be great.

waterone
Chuck Adams (by the way, that is my name, I was Chuck Adams before the bowhunting writer was, I think, and I use Traditional archery gear.)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:51 am

Chuck,

Can't help you with the sleeping bag just wanted to say G'day and welcome. Also wanted to say that you must REALLY get some ribbing from your traditional bowhunting budddies regarding your name. :lol:

Jeff

waterone

#10 Post by waterone » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:01 pm

Yeah, sometimes I get ribbed but not too bad. Lately his is getting less and less good press,. Also I don't smile nearly as much as he does. You know, it would be nice, however to travel all ove the place getting paid to do what you want to do - but then it becomes a business.

As to helping me as to equipment, I am always on the lookout to find new ways to approch a problem. For example, I have chosen to use an Australian Company to handle the telemetry needs of the water and sewer utility I manage - named Multitrode, they really offer something that American and European vendors did not.

So you can see that I would cast my net so to speak, widely is natural to me - therefore finding the Palm Series to handle temperate climate needs.

As I understand it, Australia is both less cold an far more dry and therefore more temperate than parts of the US that I am familiar with (The east coast from Florida to Mass. and parts of the midwest.)

Thuis would mean that OZ would have been a good proving ground for gear that has to respond to climates that are not too cold or too wet (excluding extremes) I am not accounting for the climates of Tasmania, which I understand can get REAL cold.

Any other wild ideas, let me know.

Chuck :)

erron

#11 Post by erron » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:26 pm

Chuck, I believe the Outback gets real cold at night. Being a desert, it has no atmosphere to hold the heat in or some such explanation.

Me, I hug the coastline, mostly :)

Erron

dave g

#12 Post by dave g » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:55 pm

Bring back winter, thats what I say :!: The sooner this hot weather with all it's flies & bugs goes the sooner we all can get back into the bush & walk the hills in relative comfort & the meat won't go off either :!: :!:

ozlongbow

#13 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:08 am

Waterone
Slow to reply mate - been busy.
Yes I get Fox Sport and ESPN on my pay tv channel and actually saw the Panthers playoff LIVE last weekend which was great. What a game - into overtime with Carolina TDing on the first play of the second OT quarter!
Only bummer was it was on from 7am, and I just couldn't bring myself to have a beer. That and the missus would have hit me.
Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Tuffcity

#14 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:54 pm

ozbow-

making you get up at 7:00 is a little fair pay back for making us get up at o'dark:30 to catch the rugby world cup! :D

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

ozlongbow

#15 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Tuffcity
Fair call! The biggest bummer is its Super Bowl MONDAY here which makes it hard to watch live if you have to be at work!
Lindsay
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

russ

#16 Post by russ » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:15 pm

i use an imitation palm bag called passport buddy, the lack of zip doesnt bother me and its perfect to keep me at just the right temp while sleeping, but, cooler areas will be a problem. to give u an idea of the temperature,... at first while bowhunting along creeks in northern australia, i used to just sleep in a sandy creek in my cotton long sleeve shirt, but found i had to light a fire about 2-3 am for warmth for the rest of the night..........russ