Swags?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hillbilly WA

Swags?

#1 Post by hillbilly WA » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey guys
FOr anyone who has used or owns a swag (i think this is a large portion of the people on this site), what swag would you reccomend i buy thats good for weekend hunting trips which isnt too expensive but works well? Or any tips for buying them (things that work well, or don't work, etc.)? I like the style of the dome type, what has worked for you guys?
Thanks,
Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

woodie

Re: Swags?

#2 Post by woodie » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:51 pm

hi carl, i have a mitchal swage, i got it about 3 years ago and i thing it not bad value for money ( if they are still made ) because it was only $200.
it is 90cm wide 70 or 80 cm high at the head and 40 45cm at the foot in the dome stile and has a 5cm thick matress. hope this is some help.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:03 am

Hi Carl

Swags are great if you're camping beside your vehicle, but they're far too bulky and heavy if you ever plan to do any packpacking trips in the future.

I use a small hiking tent and a lightweight self inflating mattress in preference to a swag, as it's far more versatile as it can be using when backpacking as well as when camping beside the car. It's also very quick and easy to set up and it's probably much roomier than most swags too.

I have a Macpac 'Ultralight' one man tent and a Thermarest self inflating mattress. I've weathered bad storms in this tent without any problems. The tent only weighs about 1.3 kilos and rolls up smaller than a loaf of bread. The mattress is about the same.

There's a lot to be said about travelling light. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

the irish one

#4 Post by the irish one » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:04 pm

I have a saxon swag that has seen a good 10 years but I agree with mick its really bulky if your not in or close to your vehicle, I'm checking out a hennessey hammock for the times I get away by myself ,could be an option? :)

Lindsay

#5 Post by Lindsay » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:37 pm

"YOU WON'T BE SORRY" :D
the irish one wrote:I have a saxon swag that has seen a good 10 years but I agree with mick its really bulky if your not in or close to your vehicle, I'm checking out a hennessey hammock for the times I get away by myself ,could be an option? :)
Dave Beeler Longbow 56" 60#
Kohannah Hunter T/D recurve 62" 56#
Motu Magnum R/D longbow 66" 74#

dawallace45

#6 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm

I just took delivery of my Hennessy Safari deluxe about two weeks ago , it replaces my Hennessy Expedition that I've out grown [ gotten too fat for ] and it's brilliant

David

kimall

#7 Post by kimall » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Mate I love my Hennessy hammock and am chasing one for my Daughter do you want to sell your old one if it is good nick.
Cheers KIM

dawallace45

#8 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Kim

Already sold it about two months ago , and it was in perfect condition , Hennessy have been having a special on over Christmas where if you bought one hammock worth over $100 they threw in a free Scout hammock and snake skins , that was the deal I took for my new Safari , the Scout is plenty big enough for my wife , of course with the postage and exchange rate it still worked out expensive

David

Paul

#9 Post by Paul » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 pm

The Oztrail Mitchell is a good value for money dome style swag, but I find them and their like too hot in summer as the canvas walls restrict most of the airflow, imo they're good for everything but summer time, in the hotter regions anyway.
The AOS swags are some of the best dome swags I've seen, great quality and when open they have no canvas side walls, the mesh goes right down to the mattress. Check them out they are a company based in WA too.
http://www.aosswags.com/
It's all about the journey.

coolhippy80

#10 Post by coolhippy80 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:38 pm

i just bought my first 'jungle hammock', a commando "G.I style!" thing... i have only set it up on my balcony so far, but its very comfy, weighs nearly nothing and rolls up tiny, and it only cost 50 bucks new!
Keep Tasmania clean. No Pulp Mill!

stringnstik

#11 Post by stringnstik » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:33 pm

I have one of those lightweight tents(Denali)..same shape as a swag but its got a mostly "flyscreen" inner and a normal fly outer. I like this because on warm barmy nights I can gaze up at the stars thru the mesh with the outer rolled back and no mozzies.. As Mick says thermarest self inflatable.

I must add my wife now has a black wolf self inflatable. I think denali (Anaconda home brand) do one similar. slightly heavier and bigger than the top notch thermarest but half the price too.

this gear is perfect for camping/hiking. tucks away into no space at all. weighs less than a deers foot!:)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

#12 Post by pdccr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Far out, that is light, where do you get them?
Cheers, Toby

DylanK

#13 Post by DylanK » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 pm

If you dont mind sleeping on the ground with no padding just canvas, then the bike/horse swag might be worth a look. tiny compared to a normal swag.

http://www.mrswagman.com.au/introduction.shtml

hellier

#14 Post by hellier » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 pm

Just bought a couple of moondyne swags...for the boys...under 200 each through sporting shooters...good swag too.
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

longbowinfected

#15 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:03 pm

I do camp with my van/car.
I set up a tarp that comes off my roof racks with some bamboo poles [ $15 camper].
I have a fair no name swag that cost around $100 on special but is totaly waterproof with self inflating mattress cheapo from Kmart...... BUT getting it off the ground on a fold up frame is the go....fewer unwanted guests [ask / read Roadies post] and the cold water in the radiator does not wake you upearly in the morning...

Only taks 15 min to set up or take down and tested in some storms and works if there are no trees.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.