which binos to buy

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

timbow

which binos to buy

#1 Post by timbow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi guys has anyone used vortex fury,was looking at 10x32 or can anyone suggest a good brand that they have used.
Any advice would be appreciated .

Cheers.
Tim

matt_d

Re: which binos to buy

#2 Post by matt_d » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:43 pm

G'day Tim,
I've got myself a pair of Leupolds... wrote a quick review about them in the Outdoor Gear section a little while back. Got them in from the states from opticsplanet. 8x42 but theyre very compact and great light gathering. Hope to see you at the next shoot mate.
Matt
Last edited by matt_d on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piggy

#3 Post by piggy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:28 pm

I also have the leupold 10 x 42 and they have served me well but have just upgraded as I need better optics for low light and have gone with some Leica 8 x 42 ultravids only because most of my hunting is under heavy tree canopies where its constantly low light conditions

timbow

#4 Post by timbow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks Matt,piggy for that ,have been looking at opticplanet they are farely cheap,ex,bushnell legends 675 here 289 from US delivered.

piggy

#5 Post by piggy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Have a look at the Stiners I have had some of these and are excellent for their cost, if you do a search Mick Smith did a write up on binos which worth the read.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 pm

Tim, I reckon you should be the best pair of binoculars that you can afford. They're one item where you certainly get what you pay for. It also pays to do a bit of shopping around too. The prices for the same binos can vary wildly depending on where you buy them from.

The real test for any binoculars is their ability to gather light in low light conditions. You can tell the difference between cheaper binos and the dearer ones simply by looking through them. The more expensive binos will give you a crystal clear and bright picture in almost any conditions.

I haven't had an experiences with the Vortex brand, so I can't help you much there.

I'm very happy with my Steiner 8 x 32 roof prism binos. They cost me around $600 or so (they might be cheaper now since the value of the aussie dollar has improved). A good pair of binoculars should be a 'once only' lifetime outlay. A cheap and nasty pair will only give you poor results and eye strain.

It sounds like you're getting serious with those deer mate. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Xtfreak

#7 Post by Xtfreak » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:59 am

Leupold are by far the best I have ever used...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 pm

There's certainly nothing wrong with Leupolds. Back in my rifle shooting days, I owned several Leupold scopes (I still have one, on my one and only remaining rifle, an old Brno .22). They soon became my favourite brand. I don't think you would be able to go wrong with a pair of Leupold binoculars either. They're a legend.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hardgainer

#9 Post by hardgainer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Timbow...Im sure Dean/Damian and others at Lilydale Bowmen use Vortex Bino's. You should sound them out.
I use a Vortex Mono Solo 8x25 and find it exceptional for the $.
Tony S.

clinton miller

#10 Post by clinton miller » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:19 pm

hey mick, what model are those steiner 8x32 binos that you have? i'm looking at getting a pair of 8x30 nighthunters.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

gundy

#11 Post by gundy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:50 pm

I got some Bushnell Legends off of Crowcreek II and they are the best I have had so far. Still, I have heard of the 'Swivvy's' being great too...

kimall

Re: which binds to buy

#12 Post by kimall » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:05 am

Steiner Predators for me awesome contrast in BRIGHT light situations.I know this goes against what everyone says about optics but I couldn't see the point of getting binos that are best for 15 mins morning and 15 mins in the afternoon when so many of them then wash out the colour during the main part of the day.I am not keen to take a shot on game that close to dusk anyway as finding it may be hard.The Steiners have a coating that gives contrast between the colours of animals and the surrounding bush and the first time I tried them(a borrowed set) I could not believe the difference,I could not understand the guy I was with was pointing out Chital under the trees and I just could not see them but when I tried his binos they became so much easier to spot.Leupold USED to have a fantastic name in optics but in recent years the return rate under warranty is very high now and the gun shops are not as keen to sell them now days.Everyone has their favorites and I am just giving another opinion.
Cheers KIM

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Clinton

My Steiners are the porro prism 8 x 32 'Skyhawk' model.

Mick
Attachments
Steiner binos.JPG
Steiner binos.JPG (34.23 KiB) Viewed 11397 times

clinton miller

#14 Post by clinton miller » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:32 pm

hey mick- those binos you have are roof prism binos. porro prism binos have a 'dog leg' in them to accomadate the prisms they use. ie- the ocular lens and the objective lens aren't on the same axis.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Oh, okay mate. It's been a while since I was into the lingo of binos. :)

Mick

clinton miller

#16 Post by clinton miller » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:39 am

i was looking at some binos on the net last night. there was a pair that looked like what i'd call roof prisms but they said they were porro's. maybe i'm out date????? :?

Al Kidner

#17 Post by Al Kidner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 am

I spend a lot of time glassing when out hunting and I've also spent a lot of time looking over sets of binos as to what one to buy & I've had my set of Swarovkis now for 6 odd months and I wonder how I did so long without top quality binos. Mine are the SLC 8x30's and hands down The best set of binos I've spent time behind.

Shop around for the best deal as I found out it can be as much as $400 between states and shops.

pedro

#18 Post by pedro » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:35 pm

the next pair ill get will be either sworski's or liecia's, ive been threw a few mid range sets in the last couple of seasons. i wish i listened to the advice given in the begining as these sets cost the same as the top dog sets.. :cry:

clinton miller

#19 Post by clinton miller » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:29 am

IMHO steiners are every bit as good as swaro and leica. in quality, optics etc. i could never justify spending $2000-$3000 on a pair of binos. not when i could get something i considered just as good for half the price. i think your paying for a little red badge on the leicas. JMHO

aussiehunter

#20 Post by aussiehunter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:20 pm

i love my leupolds green rivers cascades:D ,ive the 8x 42 plus 10 x 42, been great at low light,dense bush etc...

you get what you pay for.. :)

www.opticsplanet.com

good hunting
pat :)
checkmate hunter take down recurve, 53lbs @28 inch
glenn newell longbow 60@28"
ams bowfishing
www.blackstumpbroadheads.com.au
[aussie made and made to last]

http://www.bowhunterslodge.net.au
"This just may be the best hunt of your life"