Optics

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ged

Optics

#1 Post by ged » Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm

When I get some money together I would like to invest in some optics.I have had a look around and the range is huge.Binoculars,monoculars,spotting scopes etc.Anyone got any ideas on what would be more practicle,certain brands to look for,what power is most suitable?Any feedback appreciated.

Mick Smith

Re: Optics

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sat May 31, 2008 9:21 pm

ged

Your choice of optics depends on your style of hunting and the terrain in which you hunt more than anything else. If you prefer to spend long periods glassing for game from elevated positions, then a good quality spotting scope would be the best choice. If you prefer to still hunt in bushy country, then a pair of 8 x 30 binoculars would be more than suitable. For everything in between, a good pair of 10x40 binoculars isn't a bad compromise between light weight portability and precise long range viewing.

It's mainly the trophy hunters who go for spotting scopes, as they want to be able to assess game from a distance before possibly wasting time stalking in close to what they might refer to as a less desirable trophy.

Personally, I use a pair of 8 x 32 binoculars. I like the fact that they're compact and light weight, yet I'm still able to see clearly right out to a couple of kilometres. I've been using a pair of porro-prism Steiner binoculars for a few years now and I've always been completely satisfied with them. They cost around $600 or so and they were worth every cent. I find the light gathering capabilities of my 8 x 32 binoculars adequate. I often hunt at last light and even when it's too dark to be walking around, I can see quite clearly through my binoculars.

I think the best advice for anyone considering the purchase of binoculars, would be to buy the best that you can afford. Good quality optics are a joy to own and use and cheap stuff will only frustrate and disappoint you.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

ged

#3 Post by ged » Sat May 31, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks Mick.Wheres Steiner made?I like to know things are made before purchasing.

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Sat May 31, 2008 9:43 pm

ged

Steiner's are made in Germany. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

trash one

#5 Post by trash one » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:05 am

Hay ged
I have a 10x25 Ziess monocular I find it quicker to focus than my binoculars.
I wear the lanyard around my neck and the mono goes in my right front chest pocket out of the way if I need a quick shot but easy to get at if I need to spot somthing.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

David

#6 Post by David » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Ged
You might want to look at buying online
I bought some Nikon Monarchs from the States
At approx half price compared to here
Nikon give you a one year limited warranty here
Whilst Through where I got them I have a 25 year warranty with
a lifetime 10 dollar (US) no fault repair or replace guarantee
(this is the bit I liked, great for a ruffnut like me )

the nocs I got were 8 by 42 and they are brilliant
They were rated by the US birdwatchers society as Number one in their mid price shootout
and with the exchange rate you can buy cheaper now than when I did

I bought through 4scopes it took 2 weeks but have been told that some people got nocs through
opticsplanet in three days

Good luck either way

Dave

Moss

#7 Post by Moss » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi Ged
I've still got my pair of Bushnell 8X21 that Dad got me, their fabulous there robust as anything and very light weight. If I where you id have a look at some of the Bushnell's.
Moss