Firestarters

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MrsStringnstik

Re: Firestarters

#31 Post by MrsStringnstik » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Oh... I am sooo lucky stringnstik is good at lighting fires... at least I know my chips, my cheese & bacon balls... & my 'you know what' supply is safe!!! :wink: :wink:
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!

Roadie

#32 Post by Roadie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 pm

All great ideas for firelighters, but for me as a tea drinker i save all my old tea bags and soak them in diesel, when they dry out, they burn real good. Cheers Roadie

otis.drum

#33 Post by otis.drum » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:28 am

does the poly/petrol have a shelf life. like petrol that goes off? or does it last for years?

i used to use a ground back piece of flat chisel and a quartz rock. strike the quartz on the file and you'll get sparks every time. you still need dry kindling though. so now i use an areosole can and flint. any type works. deoderant, repelant, cooking spray. etc.

otis
...otis...

clinton miller

#34 Post by clinton miller » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:09 pm

charred cotton cloth for tinder. will take any spark from flint etc. bike tube and vaseline cotton balls. they work great at
-15c. they will burn in the snow and put out lots of heat for about 10 min. enough to get damp twigs going.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string