HAMMOCKS

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TRASH

HAMMOCKS

#1 Post by TRASH » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:42 am

Has anyone tried the siam hammock out yet and what do you think.
MICC has one and suffered a bit in the cold but he's a whuusss an i need some real mens advice.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

ozlongbow

#2 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:15 pm

Trash
Deafening silence so far but would be interested to hear. Now I am in a warmer climate I wondered if a swag is still the go or if there's a cooler alertnative - and one that gets you up out of the reach of crocs? :lol:
Lindsay
Last edited by ozlongbow on Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Glenn Newell

#3 Post by Glenn Newell » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:57 pm

I haven't tried the Siam Hammock but I have tried a hammock in cold weahter once when deer hunting in the Brisbane Valley and I would never do it again, almost froze, it was a lot warmer on the ground.

"I CALLED THE MAN IN THE AKUBRA A FAT BASTARD"
Last edited by Glenn Newell on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ozlongbow

#4 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:01 pm

Here's what I fond out about the Siam hammock - looks like a neat bit o' multipurpose gear!
http://www.acqm.com.au/siamhammocks/siamf.html
Wonder what they cost?
Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Griffo

#5 Post by Griffo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:11 pm

If it's from ACQM at Enoggera in Brisbane then it won't be the cheapest you can get it...

Griffo

ozlongbow

#6 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:59 pm

Griffo
Ah ha! Any ideas of alternative sources for it?
L
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Griffo

#7 Post by Griffo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:37 pm

Not really sure...you could try Camp Mart, they tend to carry a wide range of gear. :wink:

Silverfox.

#8 Post by Silverfox. » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:59 pm

As for Hamocks there good and bad,

The Good:

1. Once set up there comfy
2. They keep you up off the ground out of the way of really bad bities, i.e snakes , scopions, big ass nasty chewing rats and other creepy crawlies.
3. Tops in hot weather areas as for the air flow.
4. If you place a Hotchie over you , you have a little house type area that you can store stuff underneith ya.

The BAD;

1. You need good trees, spaced the right width apart and stury to stop the sagging.
2. You pay for what you get in Hamocks!
3. There a real time waister to put up after dark, and noisy if you hiding from the bad fella's with cap guns! :shock:
4. Very bloody easy to roll out of....... trust me on this one!
5. Balky when working out of a pack.

As you can see lads there are pro's and cons with hamocks. Some blokes love 'em ( you will find there the 5 foot nothing, run around in the shower type) as for me ,well I spent more time sleeping in the bush than most and I like a good blow up " Wimp" matt. There a little dear but I find there the best and fastest way of gonking out! :wink:

I have the only Hamock that works for me and it's Army issue. I has metal poles that you place in the ends to act as spreders. As I said they take a good while to set up but if you have the time than go for it. :)

If anyone out there wants any info on back packing than give me a e-mail or a ring and I can sort you out and set you off in the right way..... I think. I've been doing it now for 7 years so I think I a little over quald! :wink:

Kind regards To all, Alan Kidner 8)

Give me a ring sometime Strowie.......... if you have any questions about pack work mate. I'd be keen to help you out mate I owe you one for your guideing work! :wink:

erron

#9 Post by erron » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:22 am

Alan,

an article on backpacking would be great if you have time and inclination. Here or in Archery Action, or both, maybe? Lots of folks would be interested, I'm sure.

:P

Erron

Silverfox.

#10 Post by Silverfox. » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:20 am

Give me a while mate as I'm off again on Monday for 2 weeks to Tully for a Ambush couse :? No rest for the wicked! :cry: I'll jazz something up for you. As for AA.................. maybe?

Regards Alan 8)

erron

#11 Post by erron » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:47 pm

Hey Alan, I was sure they'd have warned you about me by now! :P

I can wait mate, and really appreciate the offer. Thanks muchly.

Hope the Tully trip goes well. Pity you won't get to ambush any four-leggeds, hey? :?

cheers,

Erron

ozlongbow

#12 Post by ozlongbow » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:56 am

Alan
I'm with Erron - if you can find the time to pen such an article I am sure we could all benefit from your words of experience. And have fun on the course!
L
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

MICC

#13 Post by MICC » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:13 pm

What's this whuusss bit pal????????
You can be so insensitive sometimes.....it could be the company you keep.
I was going to tell you that the Siam Hammocks are on special, was $210 now $160, but bugger ya now, I'm not saying.

snakeeater

Here are some alternatives to the Siam Hammock

#14 Post by snakeeater » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:45 am

...if you are concerned with price.

This one is from Brigade Quartermasters in the U.S.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame. ... ults%2Etam

This one is from US Cavalry Store in the U.S.

http://www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdetail ... ode=WA4535

They may not have all the same features but they are also all under $100 US.

Snakeeater

Pete

#15 Post by Pete » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:07 pm

g'day fellas.
There was a review of the siam hammock in Archery Action a while back. I will have a look and let yous know which one.
Cheers.
Pete Farrar

waterone

#16 Post by waterone » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:25 pm

For those of you looking for hammocks check these links out:

Henessay Hammock

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ Clark ... Hammock http://www.junglehammock.com

And Speer Hammocks

http://www.junglehammock.com

This should let you know something about hammocks in the USA - The Hennessy has made special hammocks or little stringy adventure racers and big, heavy dudes so they were my choice - I fall into the non-adventure racing category. So my interest is in the Hennessy.

Chuck

russ

#17 Post by russ » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:27 pm

i couldnt find a good one so made my own hammock from terylene cloth, superlight, superstrong, super thin and compact. it has minimal stretch so it dont crowd around you, therefore more comfortable... it has 75 mm loops sewn into the ends to accept whatever branches u find at the place u stop 2 camp at when on backpackin trips... like glen said, can be bloody cold, but ideal for the cape in october.doubles as a groundsheet to keep my cookin gear out of the sand if i'm too shagged to erect it after a long walk.....russ