New set of Leupold binos!

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

matt_d

New set of Leupold binos!

#1 Post by matt_d » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:03 pm

Well I just got me a brand spankin' new pair of binoculars! :D They're the Leupold Cascades 8x42. I'd been looking, testing and comparing heaps of binos for quite a while and in my price range it pretty much came down to these and the Nikon Monarch ATB's, had also looked at the Leupold Katmais which perform great but I considered 36mm to be slightly too small for what I needed.

I guess I chose these because I've been very impressed with Leupold rifle scopes, and they are made in Japan whereas the Nikons are made in China, and I think these had an ever so slightly better image than the Nikons.

I've always wanted a good set of optics for hunting, but I'm also becoming more of an avid birdwatcher and these seem to do both perfectly. The light gathering capabilities are simply AWESOME, the other night I had these out after the sun had dropped below the horizon and was watching bats fly across the night sky clear as day 8)

There are only a couple of things that I want to pick on, and that is the focus adjustment could be a little more sensitive. A few too many turns to go from near to far, but as a positive its very easy to get crystal clear images with the fine control it offers. Also i wish the neoprene case had some kind of belt loop, but I have rigged up some straps that go from the waist belt of my backpack and clip onto the neck strap, holding the binoculars snugly against my stomach. It works well and I can shoot my bow in any position like this no problems.

I think they retail for something like AU$699 here in Australia which is ridiculous, I ended up getting them from www.opticsplanet.com for AU$263 plus AU$25 postage, delivered in 3 days. Have a look at these guys if your looking for a pair, I recommend them :D

Matt
Attachments
DSC00684.JPG
DSC00684.JPG (27.27 KiB) Viewed 5737 times

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:22 pm

I decided to buy myself a decent pair of binoculars a bit over a year ago. I was sick of the old tatty binoculars that I had been using. After doing a lot of research I decided to buy a pair of these

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-bin ... erlin.html

They cost me about AU$600 or so. The Aussie dollar wasn't as strong back then. I'm more than happy with them. They have performed well beyond my expectations.

I looked at the Leupold range when I was serious about buying and they were right up there too, but I couldn't find any of the 8 x 30's at the time and as I had already decided that I wanted 8 x30's, I ruled out buying Leupolds. I do have a soft spot for Leupolds though, as I've owned a Leupold rifle scope for many years and I'm familiar with the quality they represent (it sits on my sadly neglected old 1954 Brno .22).

You do need a pair of good quality binoculars for serious hunting. I've never regretted spending the money on mine.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

David

#3 Post by David » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm

They sound great
I just ordered a set of NIkon ATB's out of the states from 4scopes.com and after reading this I might have been better off ordering leoplolds from opticsplanet
I ordered them on Tues by phone and still haven't been billed and/or received an email confirming order little own getting them in three days
You have to be happy with the service and it sounds like you rate them over the nikons
I hope you have good luck with them
Happy Hunting

David

piggy

#4 Post by piggy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:00 pm

I just got a set of the Leopold 10 x 42 and find them to be fine.
I was using some steiner and Bushnell 8 x 32 but wanted to try some greater magnification.
I will try some 8 x 42 for my next set for the lower light conditions but I think if you can't clearly see your game in the fading light you shouldn't be taking a shot anyway

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:39 pm

They sound good mate. A good pair of binoculars come in real handy when hunting. :D

Jeff

matt_d

#6 Post by matt_d » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:51 pm

David - Not to worry mate, there certainly aren't any flies on the Nikon pair either. Maybe its not too late to cancel the order? :? To my eye I just thought the contrast was better on these.

Piggy - I'd thought about getting 10x but wanted a better field of view, but I've always found if you can't see something through the 8x, then your not going to see it through the 10x either. For that you need a spotting scope!

Mick - Those Steiners certainly are top notch :) So is that Brno, lovely little rifle. :D Have you thought about restoring it? I remember a long time ago shooting my dad's Brno Deluxe .222, and that had a Leupold 4-12x scope on it.. Niiiice 8)

Matt