Photos of your camping setup.

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Photos of your camping setup.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Most of us here on this site are into camping, in one way or another. I'm always interested to see how everyone else organises themselves. I think it says something about the person, when you see what they take with them camping. Some people take everything including the kitchen sink, others are minimalists. I fit into the latter catagory as I'm a lazy so and so and hate packing up heaps of 'unnecessary' stuff.

If you've got any photos of your campsites, please post them here so we can see what sort of gear you use. We might even pick up a few good ideas, you never know. :wink:

Mick
Attachments
Camp at Dunolly.JPG
Camp at Dunolly.JPG (68.15 KiB) Viewed 10608 times
Macpac Ultralite.JPG
Macpac Ultralite.JPG (74.53 KiB) Viewed 10624 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Coach

#2 Post by Coach » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:33 pm

I am very minimal ,, I take a sleeping bag in summer ,,, and a small one man tent in Winter . I use the fire to cook on in Winter and a small gas stove in Summer . The less the better for me :D

bsrecurve

#3 Post by bsrecurve » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:45 pm

i pretty much just stick to an army hoochy and sleeping bag - unless it's really cold, then i may take my eureka hiking tent.
don't have any pics for you though mick. :(

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:46 pm

Yeah, I'm much the same fellas. If I'm going by myself, I just take the Macpac Ultralite tent (the one in the first photo). It packs down into a very small package and only weighs something like 1.2 kgs. I've also got a very lightweight Fairydown sleeping bag and one of those thin self inflating mattresses. It's all you really need even in cold conditions. In hot conditions this tent is great, as one whole side opens up to let the air in and there's insect mesh to keep the bugs out.

The best part about this gear, apart from being very lightweight, is the fact that it takes just a couple of minutes to set up camp and the same to pack it up.

It seems we don't have many campers on this site. :?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Hood

#5 Post by Hood » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:13 pm

Not the best pic but the only one I have at the moment.

Just a dome tent & sleeping bag for winter and for summer I use a swag.
That is unless go to my new place and sleep in the shearers quarters
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Abaci

#6 Post by Abaci » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:03 am

In Micks photo that's our tent in the very corner... well, my dad's tent actually. Matt and I usually use our $25 rays dome tent that packs up pretty small, but in Dunolly we borrowed a bigger canvas tent that was supposed to help with the frost... needless to say it was better than the dome tent but I was still wearing two shirts and a jumper in my sleeping bag!

Other camping essentials include the sleeping bags, camp chairs, spotlight, fishing rods (depending on where we go), well stocked esky, Matt's bow (I haven't been hunting yet but plan to one day so we'll be taking my bow too) and that's pretty much it. I don't have any photo's but I'm sure during November we'll be in some.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Abaci

It sure was cold at Dunolly. Those frosts are something I'm not used to, as I live close enough to the ocean to make them a rare event at home. Besides I don't sleep in a tent at home anyway. :D

I actually put one sleeping bag inside another one, so in effect I was using two sleeping bags. On the first morning I was as warm as toast, but my head was very cold. I suppose there's not enough hair to retain the warmth these days. I wore my beanie on the second night. 8)

I really liked the benefits of having a tent that was large enough to stand up in. It's so much more comfortable and convenient. Getting dressed in a hiking tent is a real pain.

Our next 2 day traditional shoot shouldn't be anywhere near as cold. :wink:

Hey Mick, that looks like a pretty desolate spot to hunt. You wisely picked a spot where that bush blocked some of the wind at least. Thanks for your input. :wink:

Mick

RecurveRon

#8 Post by RecurveRon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:44 pm

We mainly use a tarp, peg down the back, middle held up by a rope between 2 tree's and the front supported by extendable poles, have since found an adjustable rigid centre pole for the times when you can't find a couple of suitable tree's in the right place :) .Under this we set up the camp strecher and swag , cooking will be on anything from the trangia or single burner straight on top of the gas bottle, or if more people, the two burner coleman, we also have foldable chairs ,table and fluro lights run from a power pac.Also have the minamalist gear ,which includes light wieght Fairydown sleeping bag, 17 years old and still going strong, Sierra designs clip flashlight tent

Tuffcity

#9 Post by Tuffcity » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:44 am

Moose camp. :) Wood stove feels awfully nice when the temp hits negative double digits! ...and yes, that is frost on the grass.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:31 am

Ron

There's a lot to be said of a good tarp. They're such a handy item and they can make a camp a very comfortable place to be. I reckon you need a good quality one, those cheap plastic tarps make too much noise in anything like a breeze and they don't last very long either, whereas a good canvas tarp in nice and silent, doesn't tend to blow around too much and last's for many years.

I've got 2 good tarps that I use for camping, one is 12 foot square and the other is 12 x 24 feet. I use the smaller one the most as it's quick and easy to put up.

Your camp in the photo looks very comfortable and airy. 8)

RC

I see you have flys over both tents in the photo. I think that a fly is essential in really cold conditions (they're great in hot sunny conditions too), as they vastly reduce the amound of condensation inside the tent. Condensation makes everything wet and clammy and miserable. Your flys look great, they're nice and big, covering the walls of the tent as well.

The use of wood stoves in a tent is almost unheard of in Australia. I've never seen one or even heard of anyone using one. They're a tradition in North America. I can imagine that a stove would make living in a tent bearable in the sort of temperatures that you commonly experience.

When I get too cold in my larger tent I just turn the gas lantern on for a while, the hot air soon warms it up, but a stove would be much better, especially for our winter months on a sambar hunting camp in the Australian Alps. Up there, we usually just light a big fire outside the tent and sit around that, one side roasted and the other frozen. :)

Mick

Krusty

#11 Post by Krusty » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:37 am

This is a 3 week camp up the Gulf, amount of stuff depends on how long and where we are going..this was deluxe, 1 screened tent for eating and 1 for sleeping, had a gen set and shower set up, pretty nice a cold beer and a hot shower at the end of a long day..

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:25 pm

I set up a little folding table with the two burner gas stove and I have 2 tubs of cooking gear and food stuff. We keep it simple and then it takes no time at all to set up or pack away.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

jamie

#13 Post by jamie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:42 pm

i'm not able to do photo's but i take a cameron canvas camper trailer away nice double bed,full kitchen,60ltr water tank,12volt lighting,shower,fold out chairs and anything else the wife and child can jam in.and it only takes about 20min to set up

huddo0312

#14 Post by huddo0312 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:01 pm

Don't go without much when we go bush. All fits in the boat or box trailer and takes about an hour to set up and pack up. I'm too old to sit on a log and stoop over a camp fire. All the mod-cons all the way.

Dave

RecurveRon

#15 Post by RecurveRon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Now thats a well set up tarp :)

Coach

#16 Post by Coach » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:13 pm

This is my set up these days

Brett Finger

Re: Photos of your camping setup.

#17 Post by Brett Finger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 am

:mrgreen:
Attachments
super swag.JPG
super swag.JPG (38.67 KiB) Viewed 9753 times
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm

this is the set up ive been using the last couple of years going to shoots with my wife

double bed mattress in the back just like sleeping in my own bed at home :D

woody

#19 Post by woody » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Cant beat a tarp and a good fire in the wet.

Cheap tarps are ok if you run a tight rope along the edges and use small D shackles through the eyelets onto the rope. Poles are then pulling on the rope and dont overstress the tarp eyelets.

Canvas tarps are heavy and bulky when wet and need drying out before storage so they dont rot with mould. A cheaper plastic tarp is within most budgets also.

Tents in the wet are a hassle, for tracking in mud and they dont have much living area.

A swag on a camp stretcher, under the tarp, with a good quality sleeping bag will keep you toasty in any weather.

The most essential piece of equipment for keeping warm is a decent chainsaw :lol:
Attachments
Woody.jpg
Woody.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 9622 times
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:20 am

Woody, thats a good idea about using rope and u bolts,i've had a good run with mine,i think its 20x12ft. paid $35 new from northern warehouse cheap shop been set up at least a dozen times in all types of weather,but i think it will have to be retired soon.but the next one will be set up with the rope and u bolts as you suggested thanks mate.......Rod

woody

#21 Post by woody » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:16 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Woody, thats a good idea about using rope and u bolts,i've had a good run with mine,i think its 20x12ft. paid $35 new from northern warehouse cheap shop been set up at least a dozen times in all types of weather,but i think it will have to be retired soon.but the next one will be set up with the rope and u bolts as you suggested thanks mate.......Rod
Rod,
The D shackles thru the eyelets are also through the rope, I twist the rope a little to loosen it and pass the shackle through 2 of the 3 rope twists. This keeps the rope aligned correctly along the tarp edge. ( stops the shackles from sliding along the rope.)

On the corners, and at intervals along the rope, where I want a tent pole, I use a single link of chain, and attach the ropes to the chain link by splicing loops in the rope.

The pole spikes go thru the chain link for a solid connection.

For tent pegs I use 35 X 35 X 6mm angle, 300mm long with a point made by cutting a 45 degree angle each side.

These are the best type tent pegs bar none. Round rod pegs are useless in a lot of soil types.

A single chain link is welded on the inside, near the top of the peg. For the back edge of the tarp pegs, I use a carabiner clip to clip onto the chain links in the rope.

The pegs for the poles have an extension spring with the pole rope and tensioners permanantly attached. The rope end has a link of chain to go over the pole spike after the pole spike is up thru the tarp edge rope chain link.

The centre of the tarp rope, ( the one thats usually strung between two trees) is connected to the side ropes on a heavy duty steel ring, ( large chain link) making a tee at the rope intersection.

A heavy duty pole, each side at this point, and two 400mm long angle pegs and longer ropes with spring and tensioner will negate the reliance on using trees as the centre rope support.

Not a good practice setting up under gum trees, for safety reasons.

I use different color ropes to differentiate the front, back and sides of the tarps, and also the side pole ropes from the front pole ropes.

To set the tarp up, I pick the direction of the prevailing wind, as this determines where the back wall of the tarp goes to block the wind.

The tarp back edge is then pegged out.

The tarp is now flat on the ground. On top of it around the edge in the right positions I mark with a heavy waterproof texta the positions of the tent pegs, with a number, which denotes metres directly out from the tarp where to place the peg exactly.

This makes set up simple. Once all the pegs are hammered into the ground in the exact right positions, with their permanantly attached springs tensioned ropes, its just a matter of walking around and standing up the poles. Jobs done.

It takes a while to set this up correctly, but you only have to do it once.
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

DylanK

#22 Post by DylanK » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:29 pm

I like a small dome tent with a throwover and a sleeping bag. Doesnt take up much room, water proof, bug proof and keeps most of the body heat inside. I like sleeping in the open in a swag but the mosquitoes are so anoying when trying to go to sleep. Also i dont enjoy waking up to a spider crawling along my face :)

clinglish

#23 Post by clinglish » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:44 am

took the family camping for first time with all the boys. dry run overnighter before the 3 day trip at christmas.Camp works well for 4 small kids and 2 adults but when it is just me I have an oberon hiking tent or just a hootchie.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

gundy

#24 Post by gundy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:24 am

And for short trips in summer or up north, have a new swag that I need to use!
Attachments
For long trips in winter/summer:
For long trips in winter/summer:
DSCF1850.JPG (285.06 KiB) Viewed 9388 times
For short trips in winter:
For short trips in winter:
Sambar Hunt May 2007 005.jpg (262.03 KiB) Viewed 9389 times