mountain bike hunting

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TRASH

mountain bike hunting

#1 Post by TRASH » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:59 pm

Has anyone ventured off into the boonies and used a mountain bike for there secondary mode of transport.
i would like to know about your setup and what gear you carried .
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Mark

#2 Post by Mark » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:39 pm

I used to get around the top end with a mountain bike chasing pigs (after some mongrel stoll me XR 500) and all I can say is - take more care with the security of your "motorised" transport!
Ah yea, another hint, you need to rig up a sholder sling or the likes for your bow, as bow limbs (my case, recurve) and wheel spokes are a bad mix!! :oops:

Mark K.

Tuffcity

#3 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:04 am

When I lived up island I used the bike a lot. Even hauled out a deer with it-tied up on top of the handle bars and seat. Now I use it sometimes when moose hunting. One of the areas we hunt has a lot of old logging roads that have been deactivated, meaning they are filled with cross ditches to help water run off as well as keep out vehicles. If you're going a distance or in tight quarters a take-down bow is the ticket, but usually I just strap it to my day pack or across my chest & back. It seems to be a lot quieter than walking, at least with boots on.

It's a great way to get in and out of areas you want to hunt.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Glenn Newell

#4 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:17 am

I hunted the channel country in Central Queensland last year on my double suspension mountain bike and all I can say is "what a bastard of an idea", I'll walk next time.
Last edited by Glenn Newell on Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MICC

#5 Post by MICC » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:41 pm

Take their advice Trash, forget the hunting from mountain bikes....please.
Gravelrash is bloody painful, and then there's saddle sores, cramps, low branches, road trains and Volvo drivers.
And thats just the normal afternoon ride.
Keep with the backpack hunts on foot mate.

MICC

TRASH

#6 Post by TRASH » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:56 pm

MICC your such a spoil sport mate !
I had visions of us heading west while facing north then heading east while facing south. That would of course would be just before we fly gracefully over the bars into a pile of spinifex. But no if your going to complain, fine. Mark or glen had you previously been into cycling or was it a purely hunt related idea.

erron

#7 Post by erron » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:19 pm

Just promise me you won't wear the canary-coloured spandex shorts :shock:

#8 Post by Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:01 pm

Trash, while not quite as bad as "Mulga Bill" my push bike -off road - experience was limited prior to that.
It no doubt works well for some in the right country but I definately prefer to walk/backpack.

Mark K.

Tuffcity

#9 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:15 pm

Take their advice Trash, forget the hunting from mountain bikes....please
Ah, ya pantywaists :twisted: :P Where's your spirit of adventure?!! hehe

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Sewer Rat

#10 Post by Sewer Rat » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:38 pm

When I was living in NY, we used to hunt the deep woods of the Adirondaks (where the Lake Placid winter olympics were held), and we would use our mountain bikes to bivvy into the woods..... we used the old logging trails and had a "trailer" on the back of a coupla bikes to haul the big gear (was actually one of those child seats that you tow behind your bike... we modified it a lil bit..... the ex-wifey wasnt too happy, but that is another story)...

We got into areas that most people didnt......
Toodle Pip, Ta Ta, Old Chap

TRASH

#11 Post by TRASH » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:25 am

Your on the money sewer rat that was exactly what i was thinkin.
First i gotta sell the brides bow that she no longer shoots so i can buy a trailer bike for the littlies :wink: :wink: to come riding with dad on a sunday arvo HAHA
Then in the dark of night make a bolt on/off saddle bag rack to replace the bars and seat post.
How did the union/swivel/attachement work on the bike were you happy with it ?? was it a strong piece of gear or better off making my own. I have not seen one in real life so in the dark a bit.

Sewer Rat

#12 Post by Sewer Rat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:20 am

Sorry it took so long trashie..... been busy with work n such....

The "tike bike" was a two wheeled doohickey that the kiddies would sit in, and would attach to just behind the seat (of our bike).. this was a commercial item here in the states.... we took the seat off, and set up a "sling" carriage system, so the platform would swing a little bit.... kept from overturning our stuff...... we tried to keep it simple, so if the wifey's caught us we could switch it back to "normal"
Toodle Pip, Ta Ta, Old Chap

Buford

#13 Post by Buford » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:43 pm

i know the sort of thing ya'll are talking about......

some of the guys in the local mountain bike touring club have 'em.

might wanna check out this link for more info,
http://www.bobtrailers.com/

click on the "trailers" menu.

cheers
Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!