Backpack hunts

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TRASH

Backpack hunts

#1 Post by TRASH » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:56 pm

Does any one know the best way to back a knapsack properly ?
Do you pack it in loosely so it all sort of meshes in together or are you better off packing it in separate bags ?
Is there a way of working out how much a person should carry in weight ect
We travel light out here because of the climate as far as clothes and bedding ect go We just have a mozzie net in the sand and a sheet to lie on but have to make up for the rest of the weight with water ,Has anyone had much exposure to using them water filters ????
For food we eat what we catch or shoot which at times can be lean so we have a back up supply of rice and noodles . Does any one have any other good idea's for food apart from prepackaged dried food kits.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

dave g

back pack hunts

#2 Post by dave g » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:50 pm

Hi Trash, have you thought about taking Jerky out there with you.... or you could purchase that extremely functional Game Bag from Blackfoot Designs re auction, which as well as being a totally fly proof meat safe, doubles up as a meat drying safe as well..... now you can make you own Jerky on site, Dried meat is known to fill you up faster than any other food & is very light, long lasting & very tasty too. Lots of recipes on the web.
good hunting
Dave Greig
Blackfoot Designs
mail@blackfoot.com.au
www.blackfoot.com.au

MICC

#3 Post by MICC » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:17 pm

G'day Trash
Mate I agree with "dave g", that jerky would be a good alternative to perpackaged dried food kits, you say that you carry rice and noodles, well the jerky can be added to both of those meals.
I've been on a few backpack hunts and use cotton flour bags (10Kg) to store food and cook ware into the main backback.
One of the mates uses his wifes tupperware containers as internal storeage but as the load decreases he still has the bulk of the containers.
As for eating what you catch or shoot, are you the chap that ate a ferrule cat earlier this year??????
Water filters or Puratabs are a must where you have some doubt to the water quality, juat ask Trash One.
When is your next backpacking trip, Trash??
MICC

russ

#4 Post by russ » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:04 pm

hi trash, i only ever do 2 day missions up the cape so i get by with powdered milk, sugar, teabags, weet bix , "adventure foods" dehydrated packs made in tassie are far superior to the garbage" back country quisine", and i prefer pasta sachets to the cheaper 2 min noodle variety. i also carry powdered electrolyte and glucose , and apricot food bars for a treat. i carry puritabs just in case but rarely need them, buscopan tabs are also taken in the event of an upset stomach from dodgy water. if u dont know about buscopan then go and get some, magic drug!!... PURA make a good water filter that filter 99.99 % of the things u need to worry about but its too heavy so i just stick to drinking the good looking water. i never carry any containers other than plastic bags for all my food as my small backpack becomes too heavy [its a little larger than a kids school pack].a homemade 10 arrow quiver that keeps em separate is clipped to my pack where it dont get gaught in the trees .. in october i use a PALM sleeping bag that weighs zip and also keeps the mozzies away....my backpack missions up creeks are by far the most productive cape york hunting for me, but bloody hard work....russ

TRASH

#5 Post by TRASH » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:18 pm

Gday Russ

We are fairly new to the gme of back packing having started only a year or two ago so all your info was taken on board . Thanks !!!! The trouble is out here in the west the country is fairly hard on back packers as far as there are no majestic mountains ect for the people to try and conquer as there is on the coAST so shops and know how can be hard to find. Things like boots and camp gear are even harder to get if you want something better than a k mart special. We have been doing a few 3 and 4 day trips basiclly following a river in the hope that we will eventually find water and pigs. Those tablets seem like the go for the dreaded belly ache must get some for when the rest of the party are dragging there heels also. HA .We are planning a 8 day hunt up the gulf this sept do you have any other trade secrets that you can let us in on ??? We take the usual powerade and glucose powder, museli and fruit bars, fruit and nut mixers may drop these as they are fairly heavey.The main meals have been those noodle/rice side dishes with extra dried pea's,beans,corn and mashed potatoe added but this could get a bit bland after 5+ days.
We also have water filters but they are those MSR type ones they work good. Do you carry a mozzie net or ground sheet or do as we have just sleep in the river sand with a sheet over you. We have purchased of late the super mini sleeping bag which is tiny but it seems a crime to lay in the dirt with it. How much does your pack weigh without food and do you have a figure for each days rations.to add to that . WE can't seem to get away from about 15 to 17 kg depending on how long we go for. As for boots we have tried a few but wanting to hunt makes wearing great big boots a little hard to handle but we have found the good old dunlop kt 26 pretty good although not as quite as the volley at least they can be slipped off and go the last 20 feet bare foot.
Any suggetions would be helpful .

Yours in blisters and stone bruises
trash

russ

#6 Post by russ » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:34 pm

hi trash ,we chooose backpacking trips cause we find long walks up creeks into the wind very productive we find mini uhf radios[$50 each]essential for stopping eachother when someone sees a pig before the other, and u can describe how many, sitting positions,etc to a hunter that cant see a boar bedded under his bank. also a great safety feature wen used in conjunction with a gps for maintaining contact when the scrub gets thick and one walks faster than another, the tiny units weigh zip... i also go the dried peas as its good 2 have food that is light and have green in the diet when eating all those dehy's. sneakers give me blisters, u can get imitation skin at chemists to cover blisters. lightweight boots with hooks are my favourite. this allows the use of continuous 3mm shock cord to b looped around the hooks single handedly and very fast. also very fast to put the boots back on .. this ease and speed also encourages u to remove the boots if u r feelin a bit slack and lazy occasionally. this way comfy footwear can be chosen to asssist with comfort on a long walk, even if they are noisy boots, doesnt matter cause u take em off for the stalk...if u pm the email address i send u a jpeg of the laced boot. i attach 1 foot of pink fluro tape to back of my pack...helps my mate to keep in touch but mostly makes pack easy to find in long grass if i put it down while concentrating on a stalk. its easy to forget where u put pack when your bedded boar appears to have long thick tusks. i use plastic cutlery, every single weight saving idea is worth the extra money but dont buy aluminium army canteen that fits standard green bottles.because of heat conductivity they burn the lips wen havin a cuppa. i obviously dont use a camelback like most do these days....i'm happy to put my sleeping bag directly into the sand instead of the groundsheet that only weighs some more.... once, on a solo 2 day trip wen i didnt have my bag to sleep in, i used to just sleep in the sand in my hunting clothes.i used to light a fire at 2 am to keep me warm. once, about 3am as i sat by my fire a huge boar wandered over to check it out and came within 3 feet of me before he spooked, i thought he was going to bump right into me! the creek sand that i sleep in is harder than ground with bundles grass and leaf litter but has no scorpions in it..i figure its hard enough getting to sleep with no mattress so i avoid the scorpions at night.... i carry extra string to attach jaws to back of pack. i dont use a net as mozzies dont phase me but my mate that comes on my trips does..i have heard some areas on the cape have brutal samurai sword weilding mozzies that necessitate carrying a net...please post any gadjets or ideas u have that make your trips more successfull, myself and others are bound to benefit, and perhaps it will inspire others to give the backpacking option some thought. i really enjoy the challenge of the remoteness in a harsh environment....yours in sunburn, sore shoulders , aching legs, and toothy blocky fiesty boars that make it all worthwile...russ

TRASH

#7 Post by TRASH » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:29 pm

Gday Russ

I like the tape on the back of the pack as i seem to get separated a bit we have used those small radio's and found them great to talk someone into a smoko spot i tend to use sign language when it come to hunting though. I have found a damn good thing in the Flexi flask water bottles they are similar to the platapus style but only half the price . THey are much tougher than camel back bladders as i have had 3 of these blow the bottoms out while in hot pursuit and one while shaking it down into the holder. You can get them from burrell outdoors Toowoomba ! I carry a 1 ltr one to mix powerade in a 2 ltre one for camp and a 2.5 lt one in my pack with a hose kit on it. They don't need protecting like a bladder except for the point of your knife maybe . Then ya just fold or roll up and stuff it in a pocket when finished. It may sound like a lot of water bottles but out here you need the ability to carry a lot if required as the water can be quite a distance apart.We also found this little pearler of a torch that is the size of a 2 dollar coin and has a diode bulb that lasts forever, we put them on a string and hang it around your neck so ya dont loose it . When cooking just hold it in your teeth or behind your ear it has a lock out type switch and a push and hold button. Excellant.!!!!! yes the mozzies can be savage out here especially after the wet as it is now so we take some sort of net normally but we have just got hold of some Siam hammocks which incorperate a mozzie net and a fly for the top if it looks rainy. They work well if not a little hot at first but well worth the dollars as far as mozzies and rain a re concerned. We tested them in the rain last weekend on a 40klm fishing walk we stayd dry but it was veritcal rain don't know how they will go ina full on storm wyith a lot of wind as the rain might catch the bottom of the hammock.Then again that could be good as it would cool you down a bit. I will send you my email address when i get to work so i can see your boots man

strowy

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:04 am

Good info fellas, not that I'm into pack pack hunts (to old and decrepit). :lol:

How about posting the photo of your boots on here Russ as I'm sure we would all like to see them, also any other photos of your gear. How about a photo of one of those hammocks you are talking about Strowie.

Thanks

Jeff

russ

#9 Post by russ » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:12 pm

cant find the pic of the boots, will get onto it..........russ

snakeeater

thermacell for mozzies

#10 Post by snakeeater » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:45 am

Here in the States a new product called Thermacell Mosquitoe Repellent is getting some really good press. A friend of mine has used it and really likes it. Basically, it is a small butane burner with a solid repellent stick that when heated gives off a gas that drives mozzies away. It covers and area 15 feet by 15 feet for 12 hours.

We use it when hunting in the marshes but it sounds like just the ticket for you guys to avoid having to use a mozzie net.

Here is the URL for it...

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

Getting back to the original question about how to pack a ruck...I have always used smaller bags to organize my gear. Gallon sized plastic bags used in the kitchen work well alot of times. If you use cloth bags then you have the option of using different fabric for different types of things. For instance, you could put your clothes in something that has a course finish like canvas or cordoroy, and your cooking gear in something with a silky finish, etc. This may sound silly but it really helps when you are digging around in your ruck, especially in the dark, to be able to feel for the right bag.

Pack the heavy stuff towards the back to help keep your center of gravity closer to you. Put the sharp pointy stuff on the sides or front. Some folks like to keep the heavy stuff at the top to ride on the shoulders while others like it low to ride on the hips. It really depends on how your ruck is rigged.

If you want a good primer on backpacking grab a Boy Scout handbook, especially the older ones.

Also, you can check out Brigade Quartermasters at www.actiongear.com for water purification straws that work like the filters but are much smaller and lighter. You just drink right from the source or scoop some up and drink from what you scooped with using the straw.

Hope this helped,

Snakeeater

erron

#11 Post by erron » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:23 am

This may sound silly but it really helps when you are digging around in your ruck, especially in the dark
- not at all, a brilliant suggestion, thanks!

:)

Erron

TRASH

#12 Post by TRASH » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 pm

yes thats the go !!!!! simple but effective, just gotta get the bride a sewing machine, that would be one of those thimble things and a needle would'nt it ?????

trash one

#13 Post by trash one » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:01 pm

Hay Strowy
Tell the boys about the new walking tites you got in Brisbane, Jai was on the same plane as you comming home from Brisbane, he recons he was glad you didn't see him and come up and talk to him wearing those things
CATCH YA
BUTCH

TRASH

#14 Post by TRASH » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Yes well um ........SO
At least i didnt buy the candy stripe purple and pink ones like micc is gunna get!!!!!!!!! HA
No they are actually thermal long johns made from polypropelene
It doesnt absorbe water,is light and compact and is supposed to keep you warm.
You can get sleeping bag liners made out of the same stuff to boost up your old bag;;;;;

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:09 am

TRASH,

Man oh man you Trashie blokes are goin' to far. I mean 'Galah' camo and now tights. :oops:
It doesnt absorbe water,is light and compact and is supposed to keep you warm.
I don't care what they do or don't do, I ain't goin' to be a part of it. I thought you said only MICC was gunna get the pink and purple stripes. :shock:

TRASH IN TIGHTS!!! - LOOK OUT!!! :lol:

Jeff
Attachments
Strowie in tights.jpg
Strowie in tights.jpg (82.59 KiB) Viewed 5607 times

erron

#16 Post by erron » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:49 am

very fetching!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

erron

Griffo

#17 Post by Griffo » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:20 pm

More importantly...I wanna know how he got soooooo many cats?

Griffo

russ

#18 Post by russ » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:38 pm

me too, i only ever shot 2 in ten years!..russ

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:34 pm

Cats? Oh yeah, their in the photo to - I got distracted. :D

I'll let our panty hose wearing macho bowhunter tell that story. :lol:

Just to wet your appetite - that is only some of them!!!

Jeff

erron

#20 Post by erron » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:01 pm

Maybe they died laughing?

Griffo

#21 Post by Griffo » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:21 pm

I know the legend of the cat man...having seen some of his albums I know there's plenty more to his tally than the few in the photo...I just wanna know how he is so successful on the beggars.

Griffo

TRASH

#22 Post by TRASH » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:48 am

Well it all comes back to camo really !!!!!! you know the stuff that you have to have to let you get sooooooooo close that you can here the animal nipping off the grass buds .. As you can see the dirty white tshirt footy shorts and thongs seems to work and by thongs i mean the ones on ya feet. As compared to the elephant trunk leopard skin ones that jeff took to nullbare all those years ago with micc . No really all ya need is a few curlers a floral dressing gown a spoon and some whiskers cat food. Find a suitable porch/patio and start tapping that tin and they will come a runnin !!!!!

Nice one jeff , nothing feels as good as pay back

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:40 pm

Strowie,

By pay back, do you mean like what Jude has planned for ya after the major gas leak on our camper. :shock:

Yeah, I think she will feel good about it. :lol:

Jeff

trash one

#24 Post by trash one » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:39 am

Hay Jeff,
Strowy came around last night to show me his new hunting vest, he tanned those cat skins and made a vest out of them boy oh boy was it a sight matched with those tights. Bear and Thor (my 2 dogs ) had Strowy up the tree before I could get outside the dogs where going right off and Strowy was up the tree hissing and spitting at them I was going to get my bow and shoot that big cat yank style.
Those long rough dirt tracks he drives on checking the gas line shore take there toll
CATCH YA
BUTCH

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:59 am

A hissin and a spittin huh - I was always told that Mt Isa was a wild place. Maybe they better add strange to that description as well! :lol:

Jeff